305/350 cranks and heads

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by madoc1, Aug 14, 2006.

1. madoc1

madoc1

i have a pair of 305 cranks and a 350 block. i always thought that a 305 crank would fit but not work due to the balance weight diff. today i was talking with a local hot rod shop and he says a 305 will work if the #is 442. anyone heard of this?

also 305 heads will work but jumps compression way up?

any knowledge will help thx jim

2. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    442 is the last digits of the crank # i looked in my book and that was the only crank # for the 305 /350 crank that the book showed

1969-85 3932442 305,350

3. madoc1

madoc1

bottle- that sounds great info. need to tear out the cranks tomorrow. wow , just love this forum!

thx, jim

4. madoc1

madoc1

any idea on the heads? jim

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

They bolt up, but I have also heard they bump up the compression. I have a set on a 350 in my T100, but it has yet to fire so I don't have any real answer.

The hot setup is 5.7 Vortec heads on a 350. You need a special manifold, but they flow way better than either 350 or 305 heads. they go for about $100 a shot around here.

6. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    depends on the casting also of the 305 heads they may be what some call the light weight casting . less material in them prone to warping and cracking .also have smaller runners .( don't flow well ) the only gain from the 305 heads would be compression . i too would go for the vortec heads . straight out of the box they will outflow any older cast performance head . (camelhumps etc.) the vortec even out perform some of the aftermarket aluminum heads . so i've read . .

7. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    pic of light weight head can see metal removed from between the head bolts ,on a heavy cast head the edge of the head would be straight not scalloped
    also has larger water jacket holes .
    auto_chevy305_3 (Small).jpg

8. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    heres a pic of a heavy casting head more metal in the casting
    head (Medium).JPG

9. madoc1

madoc1

305 heads

gumby, et al. i wish i could do a hot set up. but this is a old man budget deal. i guess i will just do it and if i mess up at least the parts are easy to get to. thx all. (if anyone has done this before-350 block,305 crank,305 heads ) might want to let me know.

jim:) :D :beer: :beer:

10. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    another consideration .is the piston .are you gonna get a dished piston . or use a flatop .and run high compresion .then you usually will have to run a bigger cam . to get it to run .and then lose a almost all your bottom end torque just a thought
    .most desriable 305 head is casting # 462624 also has a 58cc chamber , another thing is the 305 head chambers are slightly father apart 21/32 and on the 350 they are only 15/32-inch apart . may be a head gasket issue ? . i did a budget build on my 350 and just traded my 305 and 307 heads to a head rebuilder for a decent set of 350 heads . all rebuilt polished and ported straight up . i wanted my engine to breath .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.