3036 Stainless (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star
Threads
Does anyone know what the rating of this stuff is? I'd like to use it for a spring center pin; it's the only type I could find locally.
Thanks

I have a Spyderco knife that has a 3036 SS blade. I looked up the tinsile strength of it one time after I broke the tip. IIRC it was pretty hard, but brittle. I looked it up using the Rockwell scale, but after a few minutes of searching today, I couldn't find any data, other than some steak knife company.

Hard, but brittle. I wouldn't use it anywhere critical.

Thanks for the help

Why use stainless for a spring center pin? You are talking about the pin in the middle of the leaf pack right?

This is not a critical application. Any old bolt will do the job. Or you can pick up an "official" spring center pin from NAPA for a couple of bucks. P/N CB10

Mark...

Mark
Thanks for the part number.
I was actually looking for the hex cap pin and that was the only type I could find. Napa's right down the street; I know they gottem.
Thanks again

Most commercial grades of stainless will be either 303 (for machiability), 304 (for standard sheetmetal work) or the more exotic 316 and 316L (lower carbon). Hardware is typically 303. I would not use S.S. fasteners for your center pin application - in general, stainless of any grade will be "softer" than a comparible carbon steel fastener; more prone to bend and distort. Additionally, S.S. fasteners have a nasty habit of gauling - you should definately use anti-sieze and be careful if while torquing them down or you'll tear the head right off the fastener.

Harry

I'll second the galling comment, but you can use zinc nuts on stainless bolts and avoid that. stainless steel makes a good pin for most things though, as long as the sizing is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom