302 or 350 ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im packin the stock F engine in my 72' fj40 and was considering the engine swap for a 302 or a 350. What do you guys think will be better and why. Dont call me stupid but I dont know what I have to switch out or even do when repalcing the stock motor. Im pretty much sayin what needs to go and what needs to be replaced. Thanks Zach

go with a 3fitty 302 just aint got the balls and its cheaper to swap to chevy I'm currently in the process of 350 sm465 tlc3speed so i did alot of research plus fords just suck :D

so you say do a 350, thats what I was thinking and it seems to be most popular. how are you going about doing this though, that is the part that gets me. What do I do?

I was reallllly lucky and found a 72 fj55 with everything in it but it really isnt that hard if you plan on keeping your 3 speed get a advaced adapter conversion manual im sure someone here can get you one or a downey one I have both and have been cross referenceing everything but they tell you step by step good luck

Small block chevy's have been swapped more than any other engine. The endless availbility of parts, power to weight ratio, durability and being the most inexpensive to build is the only way to go if your planning on a V-8 gas engine swap. As far as info goes you should have no problem getting it on this site as well as hundreds of others. I would contact advance adapters to start with.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/acrobat/tlc.pdf

A Ford 302 is great for a CJ5 but the Chevy 350 works better with the FJ40. Personally I think the CJ5 isn't stout enough to handle a 350 so the 302 is a good fit. The FJ40 is so much stronger (and larger) than the CJ5 that the 350 is great. And this is from the mouth of someone who likes Ford better than Chevy! :eek:

A friend that has the original 2F and I drove 40 miles to go wheeling, came back and got gas... my 350 used the same amount of gas as the 2F and that is with my 4-barrels goin'.

Scott

The 350 conversion is the most common, and parts are easier /cheaper to obtain.
The 302 is a good motor, parts are more expensive, but not really difficult to find.
I would go with the 350.

350, no question.

And, IMO, if yer gonna spend the $$ on adapters anyways, may as well swap in the SM465 and do the adapter to the t-case. Mucho nicer long term for offroad use.

Not that many 302s in Cruisers. If you go with a 350 you have a DEEP pool of experienced mechanics to draw from.

You can buy everything you need to do the swap. You can fabricate some things. You can adapt a 350 to your LC tranny, or use a Chev 4 sp (SM465 or SM420) and adapt that to your LC transfer case, or use a GM transfer also.

You could use a GM automatic transmission too, but that takes a little higher level of understanding.

Here are some of the major changes needed:
Replace motor mounts
Buy or build tranny mount
Move clutch slave cylinder to driver's side
Juggle transfer case shifter to fit, possibly cut out floor pan
Change the length of your driveshafts
Fabricate fan shroud or use electric fan(s)
All new exhaust, including manifolds

Others can add to the list. Nothing too difficult if you spend some time researching. Like they already said, lots of 350s in Cruisers so lots of good tech support.

Even if you don't use Advanced Adaptor parts, their Toyota LC conversion booklet has good basic info on your choices. It's free, just ask them to send it. And read the tech articles here. Get some good basic knowledge then dive in!

Put a '88 302 TBI in my '78 FJ40. Torque band starts well below 2,000 RPM (better than a 350 TPI at least) and 240 ft/lbs of torque (same as my original 2F). Fuel usage is much lower than the afore mentioned 350 TPI and definitely better than the 350 w/ Carb. Matter of fact fuel usage improvemnt led me to remove auxiliary tank. Now I know some prefer horsepower over these qualities but it depends on how you use your rig. My FJ also has dual ARB's, Marlin Toybox, 35 x 12.50's, 4 wheel disc, Warn Birfield eliminator front and Warn Full Freefloat rear and the "little" 302 gets everything done perfectly with those goodies.

I was just wondering if the 307 or 305 chevy motors have the same bolt patterns and such. what im getting at is will a 307/305 fit in the same place as a 350?

305/307 Chev motors shave motor mount patterns/locations and share bellhousing patterns with the 350. You can swap motors back and forth with ease. Plus, most aftermarket stuff works on both, like intakes and such.

I dropped in a cheap 305 for a couple years before rebuilding a 350....easy to do.

Also, my 1991 TBI 350 that I'm working on (still) shares the same patterns too...my hugger headers, motor mounts, and bellhousing all bolt right up.

\image{ford}

I like fords

has anyone ever done a 351 clevland conversion??? I dont like fords to much but I hear this is a hot motor and I could get my hands on one cheap. It would just need a rebuild.

Cleveland is the big block, it may be too tight of a fit, let alone adaptors etc...the winsor 351 is the small block should use all the same bits as the 5.0/302/289 (6 bolt bell housing). Anything is possible...its a question of how much $$$.

could I keep my stock radiator if I had a twin axilary fan or is it required. Will I need new drive shafts or big expensive parts as well.

i would recomend using a later radiator,one from a 2f truck,or just get an aluminum one.but try to run a mechanical fan.
driveshafts will have to be lengthened or shortened which doesnt cost too much.

so basically all I have to buy is the adapter kit different radiator and maybe shorten or lengthen the drive shafts correct.

Well, no.
You also need a new exhaust, possibly new exhaust manifolds, and different radiator hoses. That's off the top of my head. There seem to be a lot of little things that pop up and add the price up, but I still think it's cheaper in the short run than rebuilding a 2F and way cheaper in the long run.

Dont forget all the accessory's, alt, starter, intake man., carb, coil, dist, fuel pump, water pump, brackets, etc.! They deff add up if ya get them new

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom