300k on my 100 series—is it safe to tow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
unfamedadventure.com
Hey all, I’ve read through many threads here but would love advice on my specific situation from the brain trust here.

I’ll be doing the Utah BDR in a couple weeks in my rig, along with two friends on KTM bikes. It’s a 12 hour drive from San Diego to the starting point in Mexican Hat and then home from Garden City, UT. One of the guys is on a smaller bike (500) so a 12 hour freeway idea is neither fun nor safe for him.

They just asked if I can tow the two bikes (the other one is a 990) on a trailer the 12 hours to the start point and the 12 hours home.

I bought my 100 series with 240,000 and have never towed with it. It’s almost at 300,000 miles now. It’s probably fine to tow, but putting new stress on this old rig has me wanting to run it by you guys for thoughts before I commit.

- 2001 Land Cruiser 100 series
- 295,000 miles
- Decent maintenance (Heater tees, timing belt, radiator, alternator I’m having it inspected at my shop right now)
- Stock everything
- 75lb roof rack, 130lb RTT, and ~1200lbs in the rig (4 guys + gear)

Thoughts?

Fresh dex6 in the trans and you should be good to go.

If I was to take a trip like that I would make sure the brakes are in tip top shape, pads, rotors, fluid, etc. Make sure your trans fluid is in good shape, otherwise do a flush. Monitor trans temps along the way and distribute the weight properly and prepare to get horrendous mileage. Also be sure overdrive is off for towing.

less than a year ago I towed a GX470(Walmart spilled some kind of fluid into the brake booster and killed it; Warned my son previously about Walmart oil changes, but they never listen, haha) on Uhaul car trailer...I'm sure I was over the recommended tow limit...no issues then or since....OD off...it had about 275k then....towed a loaded off road trailer many times on and off road, plus other stuff that weighs more than you are planning on. Update some maintenance for peace of mind and go have fun without stress.

To quote Nike, "just do it"

That is no weight at all. You won't even know you're towing something. Free gas as mentioned, which you should welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom