300 Spy Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What the guy in the video is calling a patent is actually just a patent application that hasn’t been approved by the USPTO - ie it’s patent pending. It’s also not a patent application for a V8 TT. The actual claims (what Toyota is actually trying to patent) of the application are around how a bearing of the turbo is lubricated and a sensor arrangement to detect proper oil level.

either way, cool info to geek out on.

It seems LC 300 have arrived in the middle east.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 13.33.12.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 13.33.38.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 13.33.47.png

Back to 6 lug axles?

That’s a great application for it (mining cruiser). Short distance, low speed, need for high torque, and opportunity to charge in the off hours. It’s only a matter of time before the EV range issue is solved and then there’s not much excuse left to stay with IC.
I work with mining companies, and electric is getting major traction there. I know one mine where they have a fully electric hauler. They never have to charge it. It goes up the mountain empty and comes down full. They generate more than enough power from braking on the way down to fully charge the battery.

Personally, I'm looking forward to hybrid electric/hydrogen vehicles going mainstream. That's when electric gets useful IMO.

What I’d like to see are some pics of a GR-S package. That’s the model that I think is going to get most cruiser enthusiasts going. FR/RR lockers haven’t been an option in a Cruiser since the 100 series, so OEM lockers paired with their E-KDSS, off-road cams and crawl functions will be incredible! Not to mention a host of other off-highway features that will set it apart from the flagship model.

A 12 mpg v8 will look a little silly when that happens - which it will. Not to mention when the driveshaft-less EV makes obstacles look easy by comparison.
There are a couple issues I'm concerned about when it comes to a EV land cruiser. Electric components are pretty heavy. Weight is a enemy offroad. The model X battery for example weighs 1200lbs. That's more than a 6bt. The model X is not a large vehicle at all. A land cruiser battery would have to be bigger. Also I'm not really sure how well such components will handle water crossings long term. Honestly I would be nervous to go through water with such huge current on a regular basis. Of Tesla vehicles involved in flooding, water was found in the battery packs. I'm not a big fan of 50/50 front to rear weight bias offroad, which is what electric vehicles have. I have always found more weight up front makes obstacles much easier. Plus I don't know where you'll charge out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes I'm fortunate just to find a old rickety gas pump. And from the testing I've seen, range is greatly reduced when towing with a EV.

There are a couple issues I'm concerned about when it comes to a EV land cruiser. Electric components are pretty heavy. Weight is a enemy offroad. The model X battery for example weighs 1200lbs. That's more than a 6bt. The model X is not a large vehicle at all. A land cruiser battery would have to be bigger. Also I'm not really sure how well such components will handle water crossings long term. Honestly I would be nervous to go through water with such huge current on a regular basis. Of Tesla vehicles involved in flooding, water was found in the battery packs. I'm not a big fan of 50/50 front to rear weight bias offroad, which is what electric vehicles have. I have always found more weight up front makes obstacles much easier. Plus I don't know where you'll charge out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes I'm fortunate just to find a old rickety gas pump. And from the testing I've seen, range is greatly reduced when towing with a EV.
In terms of weight and range, I think that's where the hydrogen hybrid would come in. It's the most viable technology long term IMO. You use hydrogen (possibly kept in tank as ammonia), and use that as a clean energy store to supplement the battery, meaning you can get away with a smaller battery. Burn hydrogen to charge the battery and keep it going for long hauls, and you can fill up at a pump and go like you do with petrol. You can also haul the ammonia around the country in trucks similar to what we do with petrol right now, so it solves the distribution problem.

I share your concerns about water crossings with electric vehicles, but that's why I drive an 80 series with a 1HZ diesel, without an integrated circuit in sight. Unfortunately, the horse has already bolted on this issue long ago really. Cars today already have more computers and electrics in them than we used to sent people to the moon. I'd worry about taking any car built in the last 20 years through a water crossing. Not sure making them electric moves the needle that much more than we've already gone, and I think it's pretty clear that's where things are going long term. Toyota has already signalled their intentions with hydrogen going forward, and I think hydrogen plus electric makes a pretty good technical basis. As for making it rugged and safe to play in the water with, well there are some pretty clued on engineers at Toyota. I'm sure they'll come up with something. And I'll probably ignore it and keep on driving my 80 for another 20 years if I can.

Infrastructure for gas and diesel fueled vehicles was also lacking at some point in the past. Clearly, that was solved.

Once National gas average is $4gal., you’ll see an exodus of V8 owners to electrics and gas sippers. IEA just put out a report urging the administration to stop all drilling of oil. Not getting political but just reporting what I read and thinking how quickly things can change for ICE owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom