300 Spy Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Powerful NA V8, even if somewhat antiquated is very much "special" compared to a turbocharged V6. Re 300, driven enough turbocharged vehicles to know I don't want one. Peace.

Who knew I was back on a damn BMW forum. Jesus... I thought us Land Cruiser guys were smarter than this.

I'm just sitting over here too poor to buy one even if it was for sale in the US......

So anyway, here is my opinion......

Could we expect a turbo'd V6 to last half as long as any of the previous generation's motors? That's the main draw of the LC for me, reliability and longevity.....you know if I could even afford to buy one that wasn't 20 years old.

Last edited:
The twin turbo 3.5 V6 is slated to be used in the 2022 Tundra also. No more V8s. That's validation right there. And if history is any guide, Toyota has never produced a lame engine. They've always been exceptional. I see no reason to doubt the TTV6 will be otherwise.

Toyota has never produced a lame engine
:beer: 🤗

Og8q1ktqRJi9bAppBcY3bQ.jpeg

I'm just sitting over here too poor to buy one even if it was for sale in the US......

So anyway, here is my opinion......

Could we expect a turbo'd V6 to last half as long as any of the previous generation's motors? That's the main draw of the LC for me, reliability and longevity.....you know if I could even afford to buy one that wasn't 20 years old.
Yes, we certainly can. Toyota made one of the most sought after turbo engines in history way back in freaking 1991. Also, its not like turbos are a new technology. One of the main reasons the manufacturers went away from turbos is that racing did (because of regulations) leading to new engineering gains in the HP/L you could get from an NA engine, which then made its way into street cars.

The 3UR has cam tower seal leaks.... thats not a cheap job. Almost every engine has issues. Even if your turbos are a 200k mile consumable, that is not a big deal over the life cycle of the vehicle/engine - and more than makes itself up for the consumer in the added savings you get through increased gas mileage.

Yes, we certainly can. Toyota made one of the most sought after turbo engines in history way back in freaking 1991. Also, its not like turbos are a new technology. One of the main reasons the manufacturers went away from turbos is that racing did (because of regulations) leading to new engineering gains in the HP/L you could get from an NA engine, which then made its way into street cars.

The 3UR has cam tower seal leaks.... thats not a cheap job. Almost every engine has issues. Even if your turbos are a 200k mile consumable, that is not a big deal over the life cycle of the vehicle/engine - and more than makes itself up for the consumer in the added savings you get through increased gas mileage.

I probably should not respond... and feed a "T"? Troll? Or for "Turbo Fanboi"?

Ever heard of or experienced turbo bearings seizing and causing rotating assembly to to go out of balance and compressor wheel "shaving" the compressor cover and sending (under high pressure!) the aluminum shavings down the intake tract? Can get really, really bad, contaminate the entire engine, including bearings, etc. If not caught right away, a turbo failure makes the engine go buh-bye. May be not right away, but can, and often does, put the engine on borrowed time.

Of course, turbo engines can be long lasting and reliable enough, especially if diligently maintained as they are less tolerant for longer OCIs under heavy use. But it's really simple - these engines are more complex by the virtue of extra critical components, and if these components go, the failure modes are different and can be severe. These failure modes by definition do not apply to naturally aspirated engines.

Turbo cars can also be fun, very exciting, albeit with different driving characteristics. There are certainly turbo cars I did and still would welcome in my fleet. But Land Cruiser is not one of them (i'd make exception for a diesel, probably).

But, most else being equal, V8 N/A has a better chance on having fewer long term (and especially catastrophic) issues than a turbo, especially compared to smaller engine like higher strung V6. It is a very simple fact. Your anti-naturally aspirated (V8?) crusade on this forum (found your "contributions" in the other 300 thread) will not change that.

Last edited:
You guys are crying about the reliability of turbos.
Not diesel vs petrol.

Fair enough, but as far as I know diesel turbos tend to be more robust as they tend spool slower, run lower pressures, even if they move more air. I.e. are less stressed than their gasoline counterparts.

Anyway, this is a silly discussion. A claim that an engine with a component (or two) spinning at 150k+ rpm is same or superior in reliability like one sans it, well, it's just well, not true... EOT.

Fair enough, but as far as I know diesel turbos tend to be more robust as they tend spool slower, run lower pressures, even if they move more air. I.e. are less stressed than their gasoline counterparts.

Sort of. Turbos in a diesel generally run a much higher PSI/Bar (higher stressed) from their turbos vs a petrol turbo which are usually smaller and will run a higher RPM.

That said, adding a new component will of course add another potential cause of failure. I just don't see it being nearly as big of an issue as everyone's making it out to be. I would be more concerned about the thousands of sensors and hundreds of miles of wiring causing a failure before a simple variable vane turbo (or two) in a Toyota.

I probably should not respond... and feed a "T"? Troll? Or for "Turbo Fanboi"?

Ever heard of or experienced turbo bearings seizing and causing rotating assembly to to go out of balance and compressor wheel "shaving" the compressor cover and sending (under high pressure!) the aluminum shavings down the intake tract? Can get really, really bad, contaminate the entire engine, including bearings, etc. If not caught right away, a turbo failure makes the engine go buh-bye. May be not right away, but can, and often does, put the engine on borrowed time.

Of course, turbo engines can be long lasting and reliable enough, especially if diligently maintained as they are less tolerant for longer OCIs under heavy use. But it's really simple - these engines are more complex by the virtue of extra critical components, and if these components go, the failure modes are different and can be severe. These failure modes by definition do not apply to naturally aspirated engines.

Turbo cars can also be fun, very exciting, albeit with different driving characteristics. There are certainly turbo cars I did and still would welcome in my fleet. But Land Cruiser is not one of them (i'd make exception for a diesel, probably).

But, most else being equal, V8 N/A has a better chance on having fewer long term (and especially catastrophic) issues than a turbo, especially compared to smaller engine like higher strung V6. It is a very simple fact. Your anti-naturally aspirated (V8?) crusade on this forum (found your "contributions" in the other 300 thread) will not change that.
First off, disagreeing with illogical arguments is not trolling.

Second off, I have NA and turbo vehicles, lol. This has nothing to do with anti NA bias. Modern turbo engines are much better suited to the characteristics and performance needed for a truck in 2021 than a big NA V8.... Especially the 3UR, which, if you're being honest with yourself, was not really anything special.

You guys act like million mile Freightliners are breaking down left and right from turbo failures.
Exactly. 😂

Sort of. Turbos in a diesel generally run a much higher PSI/Bar (higher stressed) from their turbos vs a petrol turbo which are usually smaller and will run a higher RPM.

That said, adding a new component will of course add another potential cause of failure. I just don't see it being nearly as big of an issue as everyone's making it out to be. I would be more concerned about the thousands of sensors and hundreds of miles of wiring causing a failure before a simple variable vane turbo (or two) in a Toyota.

Looks like you did the heavy lifting for me, thank you. Like any component of a vehicle, it should be looked after for maintenance. Modern turbos have very long life cycles with OEM tunes. This is much ado about nothing.

All this debate now about turbo vs NA makes me wonder what kind of drama will be stirred up when we start talking about a turbo 6 vs a fully electric LC. Don’t laugh....it’s question of when, not if! 😁

All this debate now about turbo vs NA makes me wonder what kind of drama will be stirred up when we start talking about a turbo 6 vs a fully electric LC. Don’t laugh....it’s question of when, not if! 😁
A 12 mpg v8 will look a little silly when that happens - which it will. Not to mention when the driveshaft-less EV makes obstacles look easy by comparison.

People here will be arguing which is the best type of electricity to put in their land cruiser.:hillbilly:

That’s a great application for it (mining cruiser). Short distance, low speed, need for high torque, and opportunity to charge in the off hours. It’s only a matter of time before the EV range issue is solved and then there’s not much excuse left to stay with IC.

Id take a 5.7 liter 2FZ-FTE inline 6 and be very happy with a bulletproof 6psi turbo that i had to service every 150k miles. Inliner for the win-liner. Could probably even get a few extra valves per cylinder in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom