300 series to offer twin turbo v6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's your thoughts? I'm glad I got mine. I'm not big into forced induction personally. I also believe down the road with these turbos, hybrids, and all electrics that our v8s will go up in value because at the end of the day you cant replace the sound and feel of a v8. Haha. :)

Motor1.com: Toyota Land Cruiser To Lose V8 Engines For Next Generation?.

Please stop with the non-factual, speculative, click bait articles. We have hundreds of posts already about the 300, none of which contains any legitimate information, and this article is worse than most of the ones already shared widely on this forum.

I am perfectly fine with it. Been driving LC/LX since 80 series. Parents had 60/62 before.
I trust toyotas engineering. Our mr2 turbo and supra turbo have been excellently reliable as well

Whatever the 300 brings, our 200 will get traded, and 300 will be in garage

Please stop with the non-factual, speculative, click bait articles. We have hundreds of posts already about the 300, none of which contains any legitimate information, and this article is worse than most of the ones already shared widely on this forum.

This thread was an engagement of your thoughts here.
The article was recent and was an article piece on Google news thread which by the way also posted that the tundra hybrid was seen testing in nurburgring. I guess you dont believe that to be true as well.
Those 2 (2021 tundra and 2021 300 series) are already have been in development, Toyota is just tight lipped about it, just like the 2021 redesign of the 4runner, Tacoma, and sequoia.

Also multiple credible sources within the past two months have talked about the 300 series going v6 twin turbo from the Lexus LS engine.

At the end i just posted to see what people's thoughts are on this. I know where you stand. :)

Time for a 300 section for all this crap that has nothing to do with 200s, or maybe post in the chit chat section.

Not sure what the hostility is about. Chill bro.

Time for a 300 section for all this crap that has nothing to do with 200s, or maybe post in the chit chat section.

Maybe there could be a dedicated, temporarily-pinned 300 Speculation thread that would help avoid countless new threads. It’s natural for people to speculate in the 200 section since this group is the most likely market for them. Just gets old for those who have seen/read the many many many others for literally years now.

Whatcha-think, @Romer ?

Thanks for posting that!

I'm good with this post. Versus all the other colorful commentary all over this forum that is squarely not LC related, at least this one is.

It's been speculated for awhile now that the new gen 300 will be V6, turbo, and potentially hybrid powered. This is another bread crumb reinforcing that.

I'm all for a turbo V6 architecture. If Toyota knows a thing or two about boost (ahem Supra), they will do it better and with more durability than any other OEM.

I've played with 1JZ and 2JZs for a long while. It's no surprise to anyone they were legendary in their strength. More importantly, all the ancillary components were durable as heck too. I abused daily driven mildy tuned 400+hp 2JZ-GTE on the track and drag strip over 100k, without a hickup from the OEM components. If there was ever a problem, it was due to an aftermarket component.

Toyota will do it right. Different than what we're use to, but it WILL be objectively better, stronger, faster, and more efficient than than the 200-series. It'll have been 14 years and technology hasn't exactly slowed down in that time.

I'm good with this post. Versus all the other colorful commentary all over this forum that is squarely not LC related, at least this one is.

It's been speculated for awhile now that the new gen 300 will be V6, turbo, and potentially hybrid powered. This is another bread crumb reinforcing that.

I'm all for a turbo V6 architecture. If Toyota knows a thing or two about boost (ahem Supra), they will do it better and with more durability than any other OEM.

I've played with 1JZ and 2JZs for a long while. It's no surprise to anyone they were legendary in their strength. More importantly, all the ancillary components were durable as heck too. I abused daily driven mildy tuned 400+hp 2JZ-GTE on the track and drag strip over 100k, without a hickup from the OEM components. If there was ever a problem, it was due to an aftermarket component.

Toyota will do it right. Different than what we're use to, but it WILL be objectively better, stronger, faster, and more efficient than than the 200-series. It'll have been 14 years and technology hasn't exactly slowed down in that time.

Yeah. Myself being at a Toyota dealership, I'm definitely curious on what's going on with putting hybrids or Turbos on big ladder frame SUV and trucks. Only thing from what we know on all current hybrids is that it's mated with a CVT transmission. Not sure how people would feel about that on a truck. Probably put a first gear like the Corolla Hatchback CVT transmission.

Also depends on who the buyer will be for long term reliability by individual definition. We have two types of enthusiast that buys these things, pre and post 100k land cruiser owners.

I’ll have to wait a few years for my “told ya so” I guess.

edited as my initial post was neither helpful or pertinent...sorry

Last edited:
Yeah. Myself being at a Toyota dealership, I'm definitely curious on what's going on with putting hybrids or Turbos on big ladder frame SUV and trucks. Only thing from what we know on all current hybrids is that it's mated with a CVT transmission. Not sure how people would feel about that on a truck. Probably put a first gear like the Corolla Hatchback CVT transmission.

Toyota hybrids have CVTs (sort of, but not exactly is my understanding). But that doesn't mean it is the only way. There are other manufacturers that have mild hybrid systems that do not use CVTs. For example, Mercedes E53 has an inline-six engine, with an electrically driven turbocharger, and an electric starter-generator bolted to the crankshaft. It is a mild hybrid, but uses an automatic transmission (not a CVT).

Maybe there could be a dedicated, temporarily-pinned 300 Speculation thread that would help avoid countless new threads. It’s natural for people to speculate in the 200 section since this group is the most likely market for them. Just gets old for those who have seen/read the many many many others for literally years now.

Whatcha-think, @Romer ?

You act as though you are forced to read it. It's pretty clear in the title what his post would be, so why even click on it if you're so tired of reading these threads?

You act as though you are forced to read it. It's pretty clear in the title what his post would be, so why even click on it if you're so tired of reading these threads?

Probably because the proliferation of completely speculative clickbait threads about the 300, what size tire will fit, is this a good deal, what's your instagram, is a 200 better than a 4runner, blah blah blah is burying the actual decent tech content on this board. After you've been on this or any forum for a long time and you see the content go dramatically downhill, it's annoying and frustrating especially when the discussion is totally irrelevant to the forum (this is still a 200 forum last I checked). We have an underutilized SQOD thread, so it makes sense to have a consolidated 300 BS thread instead of numerous others that add nothing to the existing conversation.

*Spoiler alert - everyone knows the next gen trucks won't have a V8 and if they do - well ok swell!*

??
Did you read my post?
I just suggested making a spot for these threads. Not sure how that’s offensive....

Last edited:

Also depends on who the buyer will be for long term reliability by individual definition. We have two types of enthusiast that buys these things, pre and post 100k land cruiser owners.

That's not the case.. not all Toyota hybrids have CVT. Look at the Lexus LS600hL that used to be sold. Proper transmission and hybrid

Complete speculation again from the Tundra side. It wouldn't be the first time there's been talk about Toyota's truck line receiving a variant of the current Lexus drivetrains. On the Lexus side, additional talk of a high output variant. Reading between the lines, there's some real possibility in these rumors and a variant of the family of components making it into the 300-series Land Cruiser.

According to the insider, the next generation of Toyota’s full-size truck will use a version of the company’s 3.5-liter turbocharged V6 engine in combination with an electric motor and lithium-ion battery system. Reportedly, this powerplant is very similar to the one used in cars such as the Lexus LS 500h.

While this system produces 354 horsepower and gets 33 MPG on the highway in the Lexus, the source claims it will be more powerful in the new Tundra and produce around 450 hp and 500 lb-ft of torque while still achieving 30+ MPG.

...more technologically advanced than its predecessor and come equipped ...a 10-speed automatic transmission.

Last edited:

Whatcha-think, @Romer ?

I think we have enough threads on the 300 that this could have been added to.

We also have a lot more chat type threads in this section than the 80 or 40 sections. I see it in that vein and am OK with it

I understand Matt's perspective. I personally don't care for speculative threads about what the future may bring. I call this speculative as the source isnt a spokesman for Toyota who are the only ones who would know what is going on. However, I know many members like to engage in this type of discussion and I have become more flexible in my old age :)

That's not the case.. not all Toyota hybrids have CVT. Look at the Lexus LS600hL that used to be sold. Proper transmission and hybrid

I dont know man. I looked it up that model. That would be awesome but it's a CVT. Looked up several areas that may be non biased but I got wiki and lexus.com

8-speed AA80E RWD automatic
8-speed AA80F AWD automatic
CVT L110F automatic (LS 600h)

Doesnt seem like they can make one that can be gas efficient without a CVT or they dont want to invest millions or billions of dollars into it, just like they didnt want to put the money in for the development of the engine and turbos into the current supra that is coming out next month right now. Which btw im getting a couple at my dealership. haha. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom