300 Series Land Cruiser wish list *Toyota Please Read* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think Puerto Rico gets some different models than the US does, so it's possible it was actually a VX-R and came from a US territory. Otherwise I would think it would be difficult to import a non-US 100-series unless you're an ambassador or have another exception

If it were possible, would it be feasible to import a J300 into the U.S. when they become available? Would the costs--import, insurance, taxes, be worth it?

Impossible to import a new 300 from anywhere into the USA legally and drive it on the road.

One could be purchased in another country, disassembled into pieces, shipped in different containers and then reassembled once delivered, but it could never be registered or driven legally on the road.

Impossible to import a new 300 from anywhere into the USA legally and drive it on the road.

One could be purchased in another country, disassembled into pieces, shipped in different containers and then reassembled once delivered, but it could never be registered or driven legally on the road.
It's not impossible. Just expensive and/or restrictive.

• There are exceptions for people in the states temporarily, like diplomats. Probably others too, I haven't really researched
  • There's the show and display rule, though I don't recall if there's a maximum production level or something that would apply here. Lots of rules about how much it can be driven though
  • If you're willing to make the vehicle compliant with US safety and emissions laws you can do it, but this would be a very $$$ route
So impossible, practically. Also if you did import one and then it needed a repair, are you going to wait for weeks every time something goes wrong to get parts imported from Japan? Bad CV boot - we'll get that fixed in 3-4 weeks!

It's not impossible. Just expensive and/or restrictive.

• There are exceptions for people in the states temporarily, like diplomats. Probably others too, I haven't really researched
  • There's the show and display rule, though I don't recall if there's a maximum production level or something that would apply here. Lots of rules about how much it can be driven though
  • If you're willing to make the vehicle compliant with US safety and emissions laws you can do it, but this would be a very $$$ route
So impossible, practically. Also if you did import one and then it needed a repair, are you going to wait for weeks every time something goes wrong to get parts imported from Japan? Bad CV boot - we'll get that fixed in 3-4 weeks!

1. There is a Diplomatic Motor Vehicles office that handles licensure and importation of vehicles for heads of state, but I'm not well versed on how vehicles are handled specifically
2. OEMs can bring in non-FMVSS vehicles for a period of up to 5 years for evaluation and testing
3. The show & display came about after Bruce Canepa and Bill Gates lobbied the government to allow vehicles of historical importance to be allowed into the country without the pre-requisite crash testing and emissions compliance - in their case it was for the Porsche 959. But there are restrictions on volume, mileage and you have to prove the vehicle's historical significance and provenance which typically excludes mass production vehicles
4. You can pay to have vehicles homologated for the US market but this is extremely expensive as you have to donate vehicles for testing and pay for the certification before you can sell a vehicle - typically smaller importers can't afford this, or the ROI isn't there, to make the investment

Last edited:
Since the writing was on the wall many many years ago (like at least 8) that USA 200 was not going to turn a profit in the USA, and it takes many many years of development and manufacturing build up to create a next generation model - does anyone think that Toyota NEVER had plans to introduce a 300 in the USA ever?
Like behind closed doors over 10 years ago they decided that the USA 200 was going to be the end of the road for the Land Cruiser in the USA?
Those TV screens embedded in the back of the seats of the early models hint to this -- include everything and the kitchen sink (and 2 TVs) for the LandCruiser's last hurrah

Since the writing was on the wall many many years ago (like at least 8) that USA 200 was not going to turn a profit in the USA, and it takes many many years of development and manufacturing build up to create a next generation model - does anyone think that Toyota NEVER had plans to introduce a 300 in the USA ever?
Like behind closed doors over 10 years ago they decided that the USA 200 was going to be the end of the road for the Land Cruiser in the USA?
Those TV screens embedded in the back of the seats of the early models hint to this -- include everything and the kitchen sink (and 2 TVs) for the LandCruiser's last hurrah
Seems reasonable. I think they wait until pretty late to make final decisions though. They GS is a good example. It was fully developed and then discontinued. They used the gs that was developed for the new Mirai. When you look at it is pretty obvious.

My understanding is that the 4runner was planned to be discontinued after the 5th gen as well and the plan as of the mid 2000s was probably to discontinue all of the bof SUVs for the USA. But then plans changed... So I guess the end of the LC might have been part of a bigger plan. The new info suggesting the lc300 will be a minor refresh seems consistent with a plan to drop the Land cruiser globally after maybe one more generation. Seems pretty plausible that the 300 will be the Land cruiser swan song.

I can't believe the 200 wasn't profitable and the 300 wouldn't be profitable in North America.

The drive train isn't unique. The North American chasis/body also aren't unique. In the grand scheme of things, North American homologation would be cheap. Even if it doesn't make much money in NA, by selling it in NA it still lowers the per unit cost of the entire program.

If Land Rover can do it then Toyota can do it too, they just don't want to

Land Cruiser 200 was an abject failure in the U.S. market, even by standards of Land Cruiser's low annual sales here. I think a variety of factors contributed to this, but, nonetheless, it was a failure.

Here's annual U.S. Land Cruiser Sales since advent of the 80 series:

chart.png

Average annual sales of the 200 series in the U.S. were only 37% of Land Cruisers preceding since 1973.

Avg. Annual U.S. Land Cruiser Sales.png

As U.S. Land Cruiser sales collapsed with the 200, global Land Cruiser sales grew:

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 1.42.40 PM.png

Why was 200 a failure? I would argue:

1. Too expensive. Adjusted to inflation, the MRSP of 200 was nearly 60% higher than the first 80 series; Land Cruiser 200 was inaccessible to more people.

2. Functional duplication by / competition with other Toyota models. Land Cruiser 200 competed with FJ Cruiser, Sequoia, and an ever larger and more capable 4-Runner.

3. Diminishing capacities. Land Cruiser 200's diminished payload and cargo capacity became nearly indistinguishable from that of 4-runner. In some capacities key for remote touring, Land Cruiser became largely indistinguishable from 4-Runner.

4. It became a luxury vehicle. Many consumers actively avoid the extra cost and complexity of luxury bits. The 200 series strayed from Land Cruiser's heritage of straight forward and no-frills dependability, reliability, and capability.

Last edited:
I saw today a J100 with a "VX.R" designation on the rear. I thought VX's were from overseas. Or were they available at one time in the U.S.?
If it were possible, would it be feasible to import a J300 into the U.S. when they become available? Would the costs--import, insurance, taxes, be worth it?
I have that badge on my (U.S.) 100 just for kicks and giggles, only 2 people have ever noticed it and asked me about it. It looks cool on there though!

I just want a stripped model with minimal interior amenities but all the off-road packages available for less than $60,000.

I would prefer it to be smaller than the current 200 series but slightly bigger than the current 4Runner.

V8 option.

Third row delete.

Factory 2-3” lift. Space for bigger tires without rubbing.

I just want a stripped model with minimal interior amenities but all the off-road packages available for less than $60,000.

I would prefer it to be smaller than the current 200 series but slightly bigger than the current 4Runner.

V8 option.

Third row delete.

Coyote swap into new Bronco for you perhaps?

Warthog might be cool, but not super excited about the new Bronco given FoMoCo’s abysmal QC issues—especially with turbos.
A turbo Coyote swap you say? Dang man, live the dream!

Better yet, a PowerStroke swap!

"Oh, was that a mountain? Humph."

V8 option.

Third row delete.

V8? What are you smoking - I want some. 😁😁

How has no one said FUNCTIONAL cupholders yet?! :D Seriously this is one of my biggest grips about the truck. It's made for long trips and off road driving, yet the front seat cupholders are some of the worst I've seen in any modern vehicle. They're narrow, shallow and absolutely suck for wheeling!

Most of my gripes are already covered above, so I won't repeat them here with the exception of the rear locker. If you can get it on a Tacoma and a 4Runner, it should be optional on the Land Cruiser. CRAWL is "great" for most, but there isn't any substitute for a fully locked rear end for a lot of wheeling situations.
I agree there needs to be al least 2 up front that can fit a Nalgene size

How about moving the hood and gas filler release away from each other

Maybe a EV powered 300 might be pretty cool , tons of Torque with a adjustable suspension... kind off sounds like the new Hummer EV ... LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom