300 mile journey (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whats up mud buds. I Bought a 93 fzj80 about a month ago now because i was offered a job at toyota in upstate new york.

I just pulled it from the shop after getting new break lines and a steering alignment. Breaks still felt crunchy and was told it was something with the axle and he could not work on it. The other day while traveling at about 60 mps i heard a loud thud, almost as if someone hit the underside of my car with a hammer, under where i suspect the problem is (front passenger side)

Car performs emaculately so far otherwise. I have a 300 mile drive to make on monday. Is it safe/smart to take my truck ? I have the option to borrow a friends car but i would have much less space to move with. I am still learning the ins and outs of cruiser life lol

I’d start by asking the mechanic what the axle issue is that prevented him from working on the brakes. That sounds odd to me. I’d want details.

As for the sound, it could be a number of things. Some drivable, some I would not drive on. Out of an abundance of caution, I would avoid driving 300 miles on an axle a mechanic has pointed out trouble on and you’re hearing a potential problem.

Do you know when the last knuckle service was done?

I’d start by asking the mechanic what the axle issue is that prevented him from working on the brakes. That sounds odd to me. I’d want details.

As for the sound, it could be a number of things. Some drivable, some I would not drive on. Out of an abundance of caution, I would avoid driving 300 miles on an axle a mechanic has pointed out trouble on and you’re hearing a potential problem.

Do you know when the last knuckle service was done?

To clarify, he said the crunching isnt coming so much from the brakes as he said the axle. He told me he didnt have the time or capability to fully check it out. As far as knuckles and prior upkeep, i got nothing. The previous owner is a mechanic and very busy. I know this is as vague of a question as it could get cause i only have symptoms but any suggestions would help

You need to slow down.
60 mps is pushing your luck.
(Just kidding.)
Crawl under there and see if you can spot the problem.
If not take it to another mechanic.
I wouldn't drive 300 miles with iffy axles or brakes.

You need to slow down.
60 mps is pushing your luck.
(Just kidding.)
Crawl under there and see if you can spot the problem.
If not take it to another mechanic.
I wouldn't drive 300 miles with iffy axles or brakes.

Haha 60 feels sketchy as hell in my rig. I would totally take a look if i knew what i was looking for lol im really green to the game. I might have another guy look at it before i go but i am working on a 3 day time limit. Honestly, what is the worst case scenario if i drive up on sketchy axles ? Could it potentially destroy my rig ?

You probably won't destroy it, but will add to your cost to fix it (along with a towing charge) if something breaks.

Do you have any mechanical aptitude of your own? If not, maybe rent an SUV if you can't get someone to look at it before the trip.

If you have *some* level of handiness, the very first thing you should do is climb under the truck and have a thorough look around. Grab stuff and wiggle it, see if anything is loose. If anything looks "off" to you, take a picture and post it here. Some stuff internal to the axle wont reveal itself until you take the axle apart to rebuild it. But jacking up each front tire and wiggling it to feel for play will at least tell you if your wheel bearings are properly tightened.

And kudos for breaking 200k mph :flipoff2:

You probably won't destroy it, but will add to your cost to fix it (along with a towing charge) if something breaks.

Think im just gonna go for it. The pros outweigh the cons. If i was to leave my rig, i dont know when id be able to get it back. I plan on working 6 days a week only cause sundays we close and i wouldnt have time to go back down to the city and pick it up. Unless you have any qualms about the idea.

Do you have any mechanical aptitude of your own? If not, maybe rent an SUV if you can't get someone to look at it before the trip.

If you have *some* level of handiness, the very first thing you should do is climb under the truck and have a thorough look around. Grab stuff and wiggle it, see if anything is loose. If anything looks "off" to you, take a picture and post it here. Some stuff internal to the axle wont reveal itself until you take the axle apart to rebuild it. But jacking up each front tire and wiggling it to feel for play will at least tell you if your wheel bearings are properly tightened.

And kudos for breaking 200k mph :flipoff2:
Im 23 and they wont let me rent til im 25 lol and imma be honest with you, i have very little mechanical aptitude but even if i did, i respect my truck too much to mess around with it. Professionals only.

I would totally take a look if i knew what i was looking for
Well, as i see it, it's time for you to get an education. First place to start is to get a copy of the factory service manual for your year Land Cruiser. It's the foremost Bible when it comes to owning, and wrenching on one of these trucks.

Im 23 and they wont let me rent til im 25 lol and imma be honest with you, i have very little mechanical aptitude but even if i did, i respect my truck too much to mess around with it. Professionals only.
I admire the honesty, but l bet we'll have you singing a different tune sooner or later :hillbilly: I am well-paid but still crap my pants at the rates knowledgeable land cruiser shops charge for maintenance.

Your description is too vague for us to give you any real advise so I say ask yourself this- Do you think the truck will have catastrophic failure within the mileage of a full tank of fuel?

The mechanic could be BSing you to get to his next work order. He may have no clue what the problem is or simply doesn’t want to fool with it because it will require “real wrenching”. If you’re going to drive an old cruiser your going to need tools and the will to dive in. This forum has everything you need to know.

I admire the honesty, but l bet we'll have you singing a different tune sooner or later :hillbilly: I am well-paid but still crap my pants at the rates knowledgeable land cruiser shops charge for maintenance.

Haha yea ive heard horror stories of what people came out of pocket. Im very much willing to invest in this car though. Its odometer is broken but last clocked in at 141K. The title when the previous owner bought it was 98K. So i think i got a goodie for the 4500 price tag. Where are you located ? Id love to have someone with cruiser knowledge take a look.

Your description is too vague for us to give you any real advise so I say ask yourself this- Do you think the truck will have catastrophic failure within the mileage of a full tank of fuel?

The mechanic could be BSing you to get to his next work order. He may have no clue what the problem is or simply doesn’t want to fool with it because it will require “real wrenching”. If you’re going to drive an old cruiser your going to need tools and the will to dive in. This forum has everything you need to know.

Haha yea im really new to the game. Im learning but at my own pace. I got a bit going on right now and not enough time to truly invest in learning the car. I also have no tools haha. Im just starting out though.

As far as my mechanic goes, hes a family friend whos serviced us faithfully for over a decade so i doubt hes trying to keep a customer. He also knows im moving too. Im chalking it up to what you assumed, "real wrenching" getting in the way. Im probably gonna make the drive and if worst comes to worst, pray for the best and get a tow. I appreciate your reply though.

Pull the fill plugs on the diffs and at least make sure there's oil in them.
Maybe even jack it up and see if you can hear/feel anything weird by hand

after that I say send it

Well, as i see it, it's time for you to get an education. First place to start is to get a copy of the factory service manual for your year Land Cruiser. It's the foremost Bible when it comes to owning, and wrenching on one of these trucks.
Pull the fill plugs on the diffs and at least make sure there's oil in them.
Maybe even jack it up and see if you can hear/feel anything weird by hand

after that I say send it

My mechanic actually opened my diffs and they were dry. He filled them up but i got a real slow leak. Pretty sure im just gonna send it either way lol

so diffs/axle with gear oil then you need to check the fill plug for grease on the birfield. Pull this fill plug and stick something down there (zip tie) or something and see if there's grease.

Inkedfill_plug_LI.jpg

Edit: There's 2 different fluids you have to check in the front. Wasn't sure if we're talking about the same thing

Refill-rear-diff.jpg

so diffs/axle with gear oil then you need to check the fill plug for grease on the birfield. Pull this fill plug and stick something down there (zip tie) or something and see if there's grease.

View attachment 2460650

Edit: There's 2 different fluids you have to check in the front. Wasn't sure if we're talking about the same thing

View attachment 2460651

I really appreciate

View attachment 2460650

View attachment 2460651

Imma be real with you, i dont even have a jack to lift my car. Im brand new to the game. I will definitely get a buddy of mine over here and mooch off his gear lol i really appreciate this type of response. Very detailed. Thank you for the time.

I really appreciate

Imma be real with you, i dont even have a jack to lift my car. Im brand new to the game. I will definitely get a buddy of mine over here and mooch off his gear lol i really appreciate this type of response. Very detailed. Thank you for the time.
No jack necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom