2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best case scenario then. Your spartan SR5. What would you price it? How many sales? 5000? 10000? 25000? 50000+?

No idea, why dont you go looking for data on some of the previous GR models that have been offered as an example

Maybe go hunt down pricing/offering on KSA to see how much it costs there....that should give you at least a ballpark

I think a base engine (1GR or T24A) LC76 with SR5 level interior and double lockers priced at $45k (current international price) would sell 20-30k units per year reliably. Probably 50k the first year. Just my guess. But it would sell decently well I think. At that value proposition, I'd probably have one in the driveway. It's pretty close to a 4Runner TRD OR trim in price and function. And those still sell pretty well despite being pretty long in the tooth. I do think the LC76 would end up wit a lot of canibalized sales from the 4Runner. But so will the new LC if it's just a 4Runner in different skin. Between the two I think an LC76 would be more likely to attract incremental new customers than a second 4Runner variant. But I'm not sure Toyota really cares. If they wanted to attract new customers - they'd have something like a Wrangler and something the size of a Fortuner.

I deleted all the posts about the economy- Take it to chat. This is still tech even though we are discussing what could be. what we hope it will be .. etc..

The 90s were the only time where Land Cruiser reached its peak in popularity. Was featured in many music videos and driven by many ultra wealthy people. I'm quite positive celebrities pulled up in an 80 series at the Oscars back then. After that the Geländewagen, Hummer H2 and Escalade dominated the luxury 4x4 segment. People don't talk enough about those three vehicles and how they also took away sales from the legendary nameplate.

I'd agree with most of this but there are some US regions that still sold the LC extremely well up until 2021. I see more 200s during my 10 mile daily commute in Raleigh than I do most other "luxury SUVs". They are specifically LCs and not LXs, although there are a ton of LXs as well. Around here, the LC 100 was probably the most popular LC series, they are still everywhere.

I honestly think a big part of it was just the marketing (or lack of) on Toyota USA's part.

I mean, hell, @toyotasofwar probably did more for LC200 marketing then Toyota USA ever did :hillbilly:

No idea, why dont you go looking for data on some of the previous GR models that have been offered as an example

Maybe go hunt down pricing/offering on KSA to see how much it costs there....that should give you at least a ballpark

I am asking your opinion. How you can you be so sure it would be a success if you have no opinion on how many trucks that would be? I would be surprised if we sold more than Australia which is around what? 12k a year? And how many of those at the expense of selling another Toyota? Not close to worth it for Toyota IMO.

Last edited:
jayp2 said:

I am asking your opinion. How you can you be so sure it would be a success if you have no opinion on how many trucks that would be? I would be surprised if we sold more than Australia which is around what? 12k a year? And how many of those at the expense of selling another Toyota? Not close to worth it for Toyota IMO.

I would refer you back to the post you quoted

I would refer you back to the post you quoted
Wow, you really don't get it, do you? I know what my opinion is already. I want to know what your opinion is. Undertaking a research project doesn't give me your opinion. I guess the one thing we can conclude is that you really don't have any clue about what you are talking about since you can't even form a basic opinion. You say it would sell out and yet you can't even guess as to how many trucks that would be?

As for people going on and on about Broncos and Jeeps. They are good off road vehicles but the vast majority of people that buy them do so because the look cool and will almost never go off road. No one, and I do mean NO ONE is going to buy a 70 series because it is a cool looking truck. So forget about comparing sales with Wranglers and Broncos. Now a GX based LC could be a cool looking truck if done right.

Last edited:
simmer down people

No name calling or attacks. This is all subjective future looking and no one really knows anything until the actual vehicle is announced, so please chill out so us Moderators don't have to put our drinks down and moderate this thread :) . . . anymore than we have already

Add another adjacent competitor in the offroad/overland/adventure new street vehicle market - the GM ZR2 Bison was released with little fanfare. But it has 35s, dual lockers, full armor, and 10" front, 12" rear suspension travel. It's not a Wrangler/Bronco, but it's the closest thing from GM and fits in the same market space a new Land Cruiser will play. And pricing should be around $55k.

Also not an SUV, but a good base car camping platform - the Ram Power Wagon is really cheap right now. Lots of inventory and I see some listed for high $50s' with dual lockers, solid axles, OEM winch and they fit 37s without any mods and 40's with fender flares and front bumper trim. I still think the new Land Cruiser needs 35s to be taken seriously unless it's a going to be a touring vehicle more than an off-road one.

Add another adjacent competitor in the offroad/overland/adventure new street vehicle market - the GM ZR2 Bison was released with little fanfare. But it has 35s, dual lockers, full armor, and 10" front, 12" rear suspension travel. It's not a Wrangler/Bronco, but it's the closest thing from GM and fits in the same market space a new Land Cruiser will play. And pricing should be around $55k.

Also not an SUV, but a good base car camping platform - the Ram Power Wagon is really cheap right now. Lots of inventory and I see some listed for high $50s' with dual lockers, solid axles, OEM winch and they fit 37s without any mods and 40's with fender flares and front bumper trim. I still think the new Land Cruiser needs 35s to be taken seriously unless it's a going to be a touring vehicle more than an off-road one.
Man those Power Wagons are the real deal. Love seeing one occasionally on the road. I get as excited about seeing one of those as a Land Cruiser on the road.

Lol GM

So this is just my pure speculation and I'm prepared to be fully wrong, but: What if the upcoming GX is a retooled LC300 body?

1685925026786.png

1685925035983.png

Mirror placement, door handles, fuel door, and D pillar all seem to align. According to one of the threads at ClubLexus, the new GX has the same wheelbase as the LC300 too.

Consider my interest peaked

We'll ultimately learn more on Thursday, but I need to shout my speculation into the internet void! ;)

Man those Power Wagons are the real deal. Love seeing one occasionally on the road. I get as excited about seeing one of those as a Land Cruiser on the road.
I parked next to one of the AEV versions in remote Utah. Looked really well setup and looked just right on 40s.

So this is just my pure speculation and I'm prepared to be fully wrong, but: What if the upcoming GX is a retooled LC300 body?

View attachment 3340677

View attachment 3340678

Mirror placement, door handles, fuel door, and D pillar all seem to align. According to one of the threads at ClubLexus, the new GX has the same wheelbase as the LC300 too.

Consider my interest peaked

We'll ultimately learn more on Thursday, but I need to shout my speculation into the internet void! ;)

The GX is going to be smaller than the LC300, even if they share the same wheelbase as per the latest rumors.
Being familiar with the LC300 I can already tell from that photo that the body of the GX looks smaller.
You will obviously see some similarities but the GX is NOT a retooled LC300 body.

Lexus LX 600 (and future LX700h?) is as close as the real big daddy LC300 that you guys will get in the US.
GX seems to still be a Prado spinoff because the Japanese renders ( some of which actually came out before the latest GX teaser) show the next Prado (LC250?) pretty much having the same body as the 2024 Lexus GX.

Last edited:
So all this arguing has made me question, what is a Land Cruiser to me? I would argue it has been many different things in various places and over various periods of time. To me the sine qua non of a Land Cruiser is a commitment to overengineering and overbuilding a 4WD truck that represents the pinnacle of durability and reliability. So long as Toyota sticks to that I think they can put the Land Cruiser name on a combination of things. I personally think a Prado/GX frame built to the Land Cruiser standard would be the IDEAL platform going forward.

Last edited:
So all this arguing has made me question, what is a Land Cruiser to me? I would argue it has been many different things in various places and over various periods of time. To me the sine qua non of a Land Cruiser is a commitment to overengineering and overbuilding a 4WD truck that represents the pinnacle of durability and reliability. So long as Toyota sticks to that I think they can put the Land Cruiser name on a combination of things. I personally think a Prado/GX frame built to the Land Cruiser standard would be the IDEAL platform going forward.
I will echo this sentiment. The Land Cruiser name can quite easily be applied to a mid size product that is geared for off-roading and is over engineered and over speced for longevity and reliability. There is no reason to attribute Land Cruiser to the top tier big daddy product in the lineup. In fact, an ideal Land Cruiser is an FJ40 type rig from most purists' point of view. And the beauty is there is a tremendous market for this Wrangler Bronco competitor.

I will echo this sentiment. The Land Cruiser name can quite easily be applied to a mid size product that is geared for off-roading and is over engineered and over speced for longevity and reliability. There is no reason to attribute Land Cruiser to the top tier big daddy product in the lineup. In fact, an ideal Land Cruiser is an FJ40 type rig from most purists' point of view. And the beauty is there is a tremendous market for this Wrangler Bronco competitor.
I come from an open top LJ Rubicon, loved taking the doors, top off and go wheeling. My 80 is too nice to thrash offroad. I'm only 28, starting to make really good money, and the 4x4s I could see myself owning aren't reliable at all (JL Jeep and Bronco). Is it so hard to build a reliable convertible 4x4? If they fail at making an offroad capable, open top rig that I can remove the doors off of, guess I'll spend that same amount of money (40-50k) on a clean FJ40 from one of you on here!

Just yesterday in another thread I said that to me the LC is about quality, craftsmanship, comfort, capability, and reliability. Comfort can be subjective depending on the generation but the 100 and 200 series definitely checked that box as they moved up market. As for reliability, pretty much any Toyota has a reputation for being reliable.

So that leaves the last 3 traits which IMO are the pillars of the Land Cruiser. Quality, craftsmanship, and capability. It’s Toyota’s Halo vehicle and I hope the new one we are getting here in the states is treated as such. If it turns out to be this Wrangler/Bronco fighter then by god make it then best damn option in the 4x4 segment. Don’t skimp on anything. No compromises and no BS.

Last edited:
I come from an open top LJ Rubicon, loved taking the doors, top off and go wheeling. My 80 is too nice to thrash offroad. I'm only 28, starting to make really good money, and the 4x4s I could see myself owning aren't reliable at all (JL Jeep and Bronco). Is it so hard to build a reliable convertible 4x4? If they fail at making an offroad capable, open top rig that I can remove the doors off of, guess I'll spend that same amount of money (40-50k) on a clean FJ40 from one of you on here!

I think this starts to echo the big question lots of folks ask....specificallly "What is a Land Cruiser"?

Clearly the 40, 55, 60 and 70's variants were/continue to be off road able/starting points for vehicles that can be modded to do a raft of different things.

They were and to a lesser degree today all reasonably priced, moderately equipped, had solid axles front and rear and were designed to be mostly field serviceable without a dealership/expert mechanic for most but not all routine maint/repairs.

The 80's imho seemed to start to bridge the traditional LC and the luxury 4x4/ute....still had solid axles but more often than not they had automatic transmissions (not bashing autos) and were well equipped interiors with full electric, often leather seating yada yada yada

Current generation is IFS without a manual option and more often than not a lexus in every way....literally or functionally requiring in an ever increasing frequency a larger/more specialized and expensive effort to fix/maintain.....

So, what does it mean for a vehicle to be a "Land Cruiser".....I think it means differerent things to different people.....but its clear to me that outside of the 70's, that "Land Cruiser" is just a marketing ploy with very little to tie it back to its roots/function.

I think this starts to echo the big question lots of folks ask....specificallly "What is a Land Cruiser"?

Clearly the 40, 55, 60 and 70's variants were/continue to be off road able/starting points for vehicles that can be modded to do a raft of different things.

They were and to a lesser degree today all reasonably priced, moderately equipped, had solid axles front and rear and were designed to be mostly field serviceable without a dealership/expert mechanic for most but not all routine maint/repairs.

The 80's imho seemed to start to bridge the traditional LC and the luxury 4x4/ute....still had solid axles but more often than not they had automatic transmissions (not bashing autos) and were well equipped interiors with full electric, often leather seating yada yada yada

Current generation is IFS without a manual option and more often than not a lexus in every way....literally or functionally requiring in an ever increasing frequency a larger/more specialized and expensive effort to fix/maintain.....

So, what does it mean for a vehicle to be a "Land Cruiser".....I think it means differerent things to different people.....but its clear to me that outside of the 70's, that "Land Cruiser" is just a marketing ploy with very little to tie it back to its roots/function.
Will that is one opinion and not one I share. I consider my 40 and my 200 series a Land Cruiser. I consider my daughters 100 series a Land Cruiser. I even consider my other daughters GX470 a Land Cruiser. Toyota considers them Land Cruisers and we have off roaded with them in any number of places intended for Land Cruiser durability. I was sold on my 200 series watching Cangaru racing team beat, race, beat r race their 200 series for years with essentially the same drive train

Not really sure the value of philosophical question of what does it mean to be a Land Cruiser as none of us gets to define that. Toyota considers the below Land Cruisers and we wheel them like they are. They have the reliability as well. Consider my daughters 100 series is about 20 years old and she has had it for 13 years (80 series for 7 years before that) with no real issues. The GX (Land Cruiser Prado) has also held up with no issues and gone every where the other Land Cruisers have The one thing all this family wheeling has taught me is it is the driver that makes the difference. I taught my girls to drive off road before on road and 20 years later they are some of the best drivers offroad in our club. The Land Cruiser is a platform which can't do anything without a competent driver.

Hells Gate 1.jpg
20220429_125532.jpg

1686025695353.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom