2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (12 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When did second row captain’s chairs become a luxury item?

I don't know man...

I am just saying that if you are going to market a utility vehicle using words such as incomparable indulgence, experience amazing, you should avoid using the same cheap bench seats with no support that are used in your work truck. This approach is not really an issue for a $60k EXR, but when the applied to a $110k LX Luxury trim. its pretty underwhelming.

The 90s were the only time where Land Cruiser reached its peak in popularity. Was featured in many music videos and driven by many ultra wealthy people. I'm quite positive celebrities pulled up in an 80 series at the Oscars back then. After that the Geländewagen, Hummer H2 and Escalade dominated the luxury 4x4 segment. People don't talk enough about those three vehicles and how they also took away sales from the legendary nameplate.
The Notorious B.I.G. was a big cruiser fan. 😎

The 90s were the only time where Land Cruiser reached its peak in popularity. Was featured in many music videos and driven by many ultra wealthy people. I'm quite positive celebrities pulled up in an 80 series at the Oscars back then. After that the Geländewagen, Hummer H2 and Escalade dominated the luxury 4x4 segment. People don't talk enough about those three vehicles and how they also took away sales from the legendary nameplate.
This was certainly true in Aspen CO. 80 series were everywhere, never saw many 100's, 200's and still have yet to see the LX600 there. Not sure about Hummers, they wouldn't fit down the streets let alone the trails up above the town. Since early 2000, it's been all Porche, the G wagon, RR's and Escalades there. Cadillac probably the clear winner as there is usually several hundred of them lined up at the airport at any given time.....
Most for show but I have seen a few bad ass $300K+ G wagons up on pearl pass and Taylor.

This was certainly true in Aspen CO. 80 series were everywhere, never saw many 100's, 200's and still have yet to see the LX600 there. Not sure about Hummers, they wouldn't fit down the streets let alone the trails up above the town. Since early 2000, it's been all Porche, the G wagon, RR's and Escalades there. Cadillac probably the clear winner as there is usually several hundred of them lined up at the airport at any given time.....
Most for show but I have seen a few bad ass $300K+ G wagons up on pearl pass and Taylor.

Hotel jerome has a couple LX600s :rofl:

LC300 is the same size as Honda Pilot, Kia Telluride, Toyota Highlander, Subaru Ascent. I consider a Pilot and Highlander midsize suvs. Nothing wrong with a midsize SUV, it's the general size I prefer. Much easier to live with day to day. But it's not really a direct competitor with an Escalade, Jeep Grand Wagoneer, or even an Infinity QX. Size wise it's more Range Rover SWB, G Wagon, Cayenne, Q7. Category is just semantics, but an Escalade for example is 16 inches longer, can seat 6 full size adults, and has roughly double the cargo capacity. For a luxury family wagon - the LX isn't big enough for a lot of people. Again - not a bad thing. Just not the same as the big volume seller like Escalade in the USA market. In most of the rest of the world a LC300 is a huge vehicle by most standards. If I'm a soccer mom and I want a luxury minivan that isn't a "minivan", the LX isn't the answer. For the USA - the LX600 really needed to be a Sequoia size. Then the new GX fits perfectly in the stack and the TX slots between as a highway crossover. All is well with the world.

The new LC USA and GX are rumored at least out of Japan magazine to share the same wheelbase as the LC300 at 112.2. Not sure if that's legit info, but if it is - that starts to look a whole lot like all the new midsize suvs and Tacoma/Hilux all end up sharing the LC300 chassis. And the new LC USA and GX will have a body that's about 3 inches shorter and 1 inch narrower. Probably even a bit more narrower in the door to door width like the Tacoma (done for garage fit according to Toyota - keep it narrow so you can still open doors in narrower garages). Interior would then be narrower as well differentiating a bit on size despite same exterior dimension. Not really a surprise as the Tacoma looks very similar underneath to the LC300 and has the same track width as LC300.

Apparently the 8AT allows higher belly clearance over the 10AT, so they used that in the Tacoma instead. I don't know any details on why that's the case or if that is in-fact accurate. But that's what the Tacoma chief engineer said about why they opted for the 8AT instead. Not sure what'll come on the GX and LC USA models.

Yep, you and most people on the forum. But 99.99999% of Americans do not want a truck that looks straight out of 1997.
Closer to 1987. But I'd be a player. Or maybe closer to the player. :rofl:

Yep, you and most people on the forum. But 99.99999% of Americans do not want a truck that looks straight out of 1997.

If people didnt want vehicles that had the same general lines/shape of vehicles decades old they wouldnt keep buying SUV's and pickup trucks.

Utility and reliability are the principal drivers behind toyota's sales year after year, decade after decade

But toyota also has a bad habit of taking successful utilitarian vehicles like toyota truck to take one and forcing unwanted luxury packages onto popularly equipt vehicles in order to increase profitability....compare the toyota truck of the early/mid 80's to the tacoma of 2000.....the former was a small utilitarian vehicle and the latter became the size of a 1/2 ton pickup loaded with stuff people didnt want.

In doing so they frequently drive away repeat buyers because the vehicle they want to replace cant be had without paying a premium so people turn elsewhere for one or more cycles of vehicle purchases.

Toyota sold significant numbers of 40 and 60 series vehicles in no small part because they were affordable, reliable utilitarian vehicle

Then they attempted to take the vehicle upscale and they lost a lot of sales that never came back because most people dont want an upscale toyota when they can get into a premium tier auto manufacturer for slightly more money

That is imho what has happened to LC sales in the US over the last 20 plus years.

Considering that wrangler and bronco dominate the segment, I think you may need to update your world view. The is a substantial market for people that don't want to buy a Lamborghini and have it mistaken for a kia.

I am one of the minority in this forum who wouldn't ever think of getting a 76 at least not in its current form.
I can get pretty much close to the same capability/durability ( if not better in some terrain ) and much more comfort with a GRJ300 GX with front and rear lockers.
As a hobby vehicle I guess and weekend vehicle just to get the vibe of an old school 4WD, sure, but I also have an LC100 with a manual transmission that gives me that but with comfort.

To be fair, I also live in Qatar, for our terrain a 300 would be much more better suited, but if I lived in a mountainous areas with no roads and lots of rocky areas, then yes for sure that 76 would definitely make sense, but I don't...so it doesn't.
I just thought id give you another perspective, not a wrong or right one, just a different one.

Also this would probably get banned on this forum, I would also own a Y61 Patrol Safari before I would ever think of getting a 76. (& I still wouldn't get a Patrol anyway).

Last edited:
I am one of the minority in this forum who wouldn't ever think of getting a 76 at least not in its current form.
I can get pretty much close to the same capability/durability ( if not better in some terrain ) and much more comfort with a GRJ300 GX with front and rear lockers.
As a hobby vehicle I guess and weekend vehicle just to get the vibe of an old school 4WD, sure, but I also have an LC100 with a manual transmission that gives me that but with comfort.

To be fair, I also live in Qatar, for our terrain a 300 would be much more better suited, but if I lived in a mountainous areas with no roads and lots of rocky areas, then yes for sure that 76 would definitely make sense, but I don't...so it doesn't.
I just thought id give you another perspective, not a wrong or right one, just a different one.

Also this would probably get banned on this forum, I would also own a Y61 Patrol Safari before I would ever think of getting a 76. (& I still wouldn't get a Patrol anyway).
I don't think there's any wrong answer. Just what's best for you.

I think a lot of people here would buy a more utilitarian trim LC300 like a GRJ300 with lockers. The only thing it needs for the USA market is more power. The 1GR is IMO among the best Toyota engines, possibly the best ever in terms of reliability. But it's just not powerful enough for the highway speeds in the USA. A GX trim LC300 with a T24A priced around $45k USD would be super popular here for the same reasons you'd choose it. I like the styling of the LC76 okay, so a LC76 body on a LC300 chassis is something I would be happy with. I think that's sort of what we're going to get. We'll see. My guess is whatever we end up with will also make its way to your market.

I don't think there's any wrong answer. Just what's best for you.

I think a lot of people here would buy a more utilitarian trim LC300 like a GRJ300 with lockers. The only thing it needs for the USA market is more power. The 1GR is IMO among the best Toyota engines, possibly the best ever in terms of reliability. But it's just not powerful enough for the highway speeds in the USA. A GX trim LC300 with a T24A priced around $45k USD would be super popular here for the same reasons you'd choose it. I like the styling of the LC76 okay, so a LC76 body on a LC300 chassis is something I would be happy with. I think that's sort of what we're going to get. We'll see. My guess is whatever we end up with will also make its way to your market.
Take everything that you have in your head regarding the performance of the 1GR on a 200 and throw it out the window when discussing the LC300 with the same engine.
The 1GR LC300 drives way way way better than the 1GR LC200, it is not even close. You wouldn't believe its the same engine.

The 1GR LC300 GX ( the most basic version) thanks to the weight loss is actually pretty quick right now!
It can do 0-100km/h in less than 8 seconds ( mid to high 7s in optimal circumstances ) and is very peppy on highway speeds and can reach top speeds ( in Mexico ;) ) that would shock you, and very quickly too. Not bad considering its still a heavy/large vehicle and the engine only produces 271hp/385nm.
I am not exaggerating, I owned a GRJ200 and a GRJ300, the GRJ200 was a slow cow, the GRJ300 is anything but, and it so much more fun in the dunes too.

I just had to put this out there, because I was shocked when I experienced the GRJ300 myself for the first time, even though its the same engine without any performance upgrades on paper but it feels like a different animal in the LC300.

To put things in perspective, I own a 1GR GRJ300 GX as well as a 2014 LX 570, I prefer driving the LC300, so much more nimble, not as cumbersome or big to drive, and I reckon it could keep up with it or not far from it until easily well into highway speeds ( obviously a 5.7 is still more powerful the faster you go and the torque is something else, but you get my point), that's how much better the power is now optimized with the LC300.
When you see how much better a carryover 1GR performs on the LC300 vs LC200 can you imagine if they carried over the 5.7....oh man, that would have been a dream.

Whatever you guys end up getting will definitely be great to drive if the LC300 is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Take everything that you have in your head regarding the performance of the 1GR on a 200 and throw it out the window when discussing the LC300 with the same engine.
The 1GR LC300 drives way way way better than the 1GR LC200, it is not even close. You wouldn't believe its the same engine.

The 1GR LC300 GX ( the most basic version) thanks to the weight loss is actually pretty quick right now!
It can do 0-100km/h in less than 8 seconds ( mid to high 7s in optimal circumstances ) and is very peppy on highway speeds and can reach top speeds ( in Mexico ;) ) that would shock you, and very quickly too. Not bad considering its still a heavy/large vehicle and the engine only produces 271hp/385nm.
I am not exaggerating, I owned a GRJ200 and a GRJ300, the GRJ200 was a slow cow, the GRJ300 is anything but, and it so much more fun in the dunes too.

I just had to put this out there, because I was shocked when I experienced the GRJ300 myself for the first time, even though its the same engine without any performance upgrades on paper but it feels like a different animal in the LC300.

To put things in perspective, I own a 1GR GRJ300 GX as well as a 2014 LX 570, I prefer driving the LC300, so much more nimble, not as cumbersome or big to drive, and I reckon it could keep up with it or not far from it until easily well into highway speeds ( obviously a 5.7 is still more powerful the faster you go and the torque is something else, but you get my point), that's how much better the power is now optimized with the LC300.
When you see how much better a carryover 1GR performs on the LC300 vs LC200 can you imagine if they carried over the 5.7....oh man, that would have been a dream.

Whatever you guys end up getting will definitely be great to drive if the LC300 is anything to go by.
I'd love to drive a new GR LC300. I had a 1GR 4Runner for 8 years and it was a great vehicle. But the transmission and gearing really let it down for highway cruising and especially towing. For anything less than highway speeds it was great. Very fuel efficient out on the off road trails and super reliable. I had no issues with it other than highway driving. It would have been a lot nicer mated to an 8 or 10 speed I think. I'm curious what all was done to make it better in the new model. Toyota is dropping the GR engines from the USA market. I think it has to do with our environmental laws - the test cycle that they run for miles per gallon and CO2 per mile is highly favorable to smaller turbo engines. The real world fuel consumption may not be any different from an updated NA engine, but the turbo engines can improve the test score by as much as 20% because the test isn't very similar to real world use.

0-100km/hr in under 8 seconds from a 1GR in a LC300 is a big improvement. For the USA it'll be all turbo engines for the next generation it looks like.

I have a 5.7 in my Tundra and I've generally been happy with it other than a small oil leak from the cam tower area. I think that's an engineering issue Toyota should fix by having the cam tower be entirely inside the valve cover rather than stacked on the head. Fewer gaskets = fewer leaks. No obvious engineering reason not to simplify the engine envelope with one less place to have problems. The 1GR is as close to zero failure rate as any engine I know of.

Considering that wrangler and bronco dominate the segment, I think you may need to update your world view. The is a substantial market for people that don't want to buy a Lamborghini and have it mistaken for a kia.

Lol. The Bronco and Wrangler have evolved.

The 70 series looks like it was built when my 94' Jeep Sahara was. I guess Toyota and I just understand something you can't comprehend. But just for entertainment purposes. How many 70 series do you think Toyota would sell a year and at what price?

How many 70 series do you think Toyota would sell a year and at what price?

That all depends on how Toyota decides to execute/equip and market them.

If they enter the market with a vehicle equipt like a reasonably spartan SR5 4Runner wrt options and offer 5Spd MT in all trims oriented at the enthusiast it will sell out.

If on the other hand they try to turn it into a 70 series rolling lexus living room with leather, wood, surround sound and 10G internet its guaranteed to bomb.

Not only that but a well selling "enthusiast" oriented vehicle will attract more people to the model and brand.

Offer a factory locker package and other enthusiast oriented options and it will sell out.

Look at what they've done with the GR versions of Corolla and the others.....they have one car to offer every 100 people on the wait list.

That all depends on how Toyota decides to execute/equip and market them.

If they enter the market with a vehicle equipt like a reasonably spartan SR5 4Runner wrt options and offer 5Spd MT in all trims oriented at the enthusiast it will sell out.

If on the other hand they try to turn it into a 70 series rolling lexus living room with leather, wood, surround sound and 10G internet its guaranteed to bomb.

Not only that but a well selling "enthusiast" oriented vehicle will attract more people to the model and brand.

Offer a factory locker package and other enthusiast oriented options and it will sell out.

Look at what they've done with the GR versions of Corolla and the others.....they have one car to offer every 100 people on the wait list.

Best case scenario then. Your spartan SR5. What would you price it? How many sales? 5000? 10000? 25000? 50000+?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

• LCQ
Back
Top Bottom