2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The high hybrid numbers are misleading a bit. The battery is small. So the extra power is for about 45-60 seconds max. It's good for 0-60 and the quarter mile. But it won't help on anything like towing or driving up mountain passes. In those scenarios you've got 275hp. The turbo 6 is a much more powerful engine at steady state. Highway cruising for example the ttv6 has the same power at 1400 RPM as the turbo 4 at 2500. So it'll still be the preferred engine IMO.

I don't understand how they'll market the LC. The TRD pro Tacoma has basically everything I can think Toyota will put in the LC except maybe a front locker. And it's probably priced under 55k. (Ranger raptor with 400hp is 57k and more extreme everything so I think that's effectively a ceiling for the Tacoma). Assuming 4r gets all the Tacoma parts, what does the LC bring that would justify another 10-15k? 37s?

I don't understand how they'll market the LC. The TRD pro Tacoma has basically everything I can think Toyota will put in the LC except maybe a front locker. And it's probably priced under 55k. (Ranger raptor with 400hp is 57k and more extreme everything so I think that's effectively a ceiling for the Tacoma). Assuming 4r gets all the Tacoma parts, what does the LC bring that would justify another 10-15k? 37s?
I understand the Land Cruiser will be targeted more as an upper end off-roader, think Bronco Badlands or Jeep Rubicon. So the question is, where does that leave the TRD Pro, it will be interesting to see how they distinguish it.

From the way prices are going, only wealthy people will be able to afford any of these vehicles. Or broke people with an 8-10 year car notes. These manufacturers have lost their minds if they think these prices are sustainable.

Remember just a couple of years ago when an $85k Land Cruiser was considered outrageous? Salaries have not gone up but people’s tolerance for never ending debt at high interest rates may have.

From the way prices are going, only wealthy people will be able to afford any of these vehicles. Or broke people with an 8-10 year car notes. These manufacturers have lost their minds if they think these prices are sustainable.

Remember just a couple of years ago when an $85k Land Cruiser was considered outrageous? Salaries have not gone up but people’s tolerance for never ending debt at high interest rates may have.

Car prices have gone completely absurd.

For the longest time the LC and LX where basically priced the same, and now the LX starts at where the High end LC's top out at in the middle east and max out almost 50 percent higher

I understand the Land Cruiser will be targeted more as an upper end off-roader, think Bronco Badlands or Jeep Rubicon. So the question is, where does that leave the TRD Pro, it will be interesting to see how they distinguish it.
They are already distinguishing the TRD vs the Trailhunter. The Trailhunter is the overlander and more suited as a rough terrain crawler while the TRD is geared more as a fast Baja type truck. For example, TRD Pro has Fox shocks and those new gimbal seats while Trailhunter gets Old Man Emu, more armor, the built in surround lighting, etc.

Last edited:
I'm with you on the concept, but not so much on whether Toyota will actually do it. Bronco Badlands or Jeep Rubicon come with 35s or 37's, dual lockers, crawl ratios in the 100:1 range, and 400+ hp. I just can't see Toyota doing it. Toyota sells the LC300 with 32" tall touring tires and a crawl ratio of 42:1. It's not really even in the neighborhood of the Bronco or Rubicon in that respect. It's much nicer as mixed use midsize SUV. Not doubt about that. But the 4Runner will presumably come in a TRD Pro model with everything from the TRD Pro tacoma and Trail Hunter Tacoma.

I think one option that really could be viable is the LC70 body shape and interior space with minimal bloat on the inside set on a HD version of the GA-F platform with 9.5" rear axle and 8.9 front vs ?? in the Tacoma/4Runner (might be the same anyway looking at the Tacoma having 450 ft lbs of torque), and a higher payload of 2500lbs. Put that on 35s and a factory winch option and it would be the ultimate setup for car camping in the USA. And the hybrid turbo4 would be a good setup with the inverter for camp power. You could take it off the factory floor to the Rubicon or a week in the Baja (if you get it armored - sad news about the race this week). Oh and it has to have 6 way shock isolated seats with power inflation. Not 4 shocks and a bike pump like the cheap ones Tacoma!! :)

Edit: One interesting observation - it looks like the offroad models (TRD Pro and TH) Tacoma will have very slightly wider track width than the LC300. I assume the 4Runner will as well. Possibly the GX also. They just keep creeping up to the LC in every dimension.

Additional EDIT: New Tacoma (and presumably 4Runner??) has the 9.5" rear axle. Same as the LC300. So it really is a very similar platform between Tundra, LC, and Tacoma. The HD vs light duty distinction may be gone in the next generation.

Last edited:
New teaser.
Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.11.43.png

The mirror shape is similar to 62-series and current 70-series.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.14.35.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.15.57.png

Rear wiper is moved to the bottom of the rear glass...instead of tucked into the upper wing. Tailgate?
that's what i was thinking too. There's no handle on the lower tailgate indicating it's a swing out door like the current GX/prado

It appears the hatch will open top to bottom, and the lines chosen could indicate it’s a split tailgate (fingers crossed). Interestingly enough, we do know now that it won’t have the rear slide down glass with the wiper affixed to the glass.

I think that it is glass that opens up via the button in the split window panel to the lower left and the small lift tab on the bottom of the wiper. I do agree that wiper on bottom is a cheap way of doing it and a downgrade from current GX/4Runner models. It allows dirt to sit on top of the wiper blade and then etch the window when you use it. That is not where an offroad rear wiper should be. At a minimum it should lift off the window like the 3rd gen 4Runner did.

No 3 shark fin setup like the new Taco - better for roof racks, but also means it probably doesn't have the camera triangulation system back there.

Other observations - that rear window is small and the D pillar is very wide in the rear - look closely at the round window cutout inside the glass. Proportionally the side glass in the front two doors look fantastic to me. Tall window profiles and low belt line! Love it! And generally I think the styling is great. I do however highly doubt it'll have very large tires. Maybe 33's max. As long as 35's are an easy fit and it comes with the TTv6 around $75k - this thing is going to sell very well. Not a Gwagon. But potentially a homerun IMO. I'm probably even more convinced that the LX600 is in trouble in the USA market.

Just musing here - but wouldn't it be ridiculously cool if the rear side glass rolls down? The way those windows are inset with rubber grommets like the door glass kinda looks like it could even though it's almost certainly just a design element for a continuous looking side panel. It looks like the body is wide enough and there's room inside to do it with this layout and smaller rear side glass. If all the windows including the rear glass on the LC version roll down and it has a big or panoramic roof - that would be as close to a convertible as you could get without needing to ever take the top off. I would be all in favor of that design!

I think that it is glass that opens up via the button in the split window panel to the lower left and the small lift tab on the bottom of the wiper.
Yep. I think you are correct.

Yep. I think you are correct.
So like the current GX window, but moved the wiper. Interested to see where the wiper wires are routed. It seems like the old “tucked away” location would make it much easier to route wires with that rear window design.

I think that it is glass that opens up via the button in the split window panel to the lower left and the small lift tab on the bottom of the wiper. I do agree that wiper on bottom is a cheap way of doing it and a downgrade from current GX/4Runner models. It allows dirt to sit on top of the wiper blade and then etch the window when you use it. That is not where an offroad rear wiper should be. At a minimum it should lift off the window like the 3rd gen 4Runner did.

No 3 shark fin setup like the new Taco - better for roof racks, but also means it probably doesn't have the camera triangulation system back there.

Other observations - that rear window is small and the D pillar is very wide in the rear - look closely at the round window cutout inside the glass. Proportionally the side glass in the front two doors look fantastic to me. Tall window profiles and low belt line! Love it! And generally I think the styling is great. I do however highly doubt it'll have very large tires. Maybe 33's max. As long as 35's are an easy fit and it comes with the TTv6 around $75k - this thing is going to sell very well. Not a Gwagon. But potentially a homerun IMO. I'm probably even more convinced that the LX600 is in trouble in the USA market.

Just musing here - but wouldn't it be ridiculously cool if the rear side glass rolls down? The way those windows are inset with rubber grommets like the door glass kinda looks like it could even though it's almost certainly just a design element for a continuous looking side panel. It looks like the body is wide enough and there's room inside to do it with this layout and smaller rear side glass. If all the windows including the rear glass on the LC version roll down and it has a big or panoramic roof - that would be as close to a convertible as you could get without needing to ever take the top off. I would be all in favor of that design!

The teaser is looking pretty good, it will be interesting to see how they tie the front end together with the trademark oversized predator grill. I think this bodes well for the form factor of the LC and 4R.

Between the Tacoma and GX reveal. I think we will have fairly good idea of where the LC and 4R are going to land as considering these are now platform builds, there is only so much they can differentiate without incurring a major cost. I am interested at this point.

While I would prefer the larger LX600, I think at this point the GX feels more interesting.

325hp/465tq in a smaller vehicle vs 410hp/480tq in a large vehicle, possibly better ground clearance, $70k vs $100k. I think of the three midsize BOH options coming down the pipe, Toyota may be able to produce something interesting. A reskinned GX as the LC with retro sheet metal at 60k. I would be in.

Something else i have thinking about. the Tundra and the TRD pro factory lift. A Tundra Platinum with panoramic roof, and 35's for around 70k. I think that the industry has figured out interesting Trucks, The ZR2, The Raptor, The T-Rex and to some extent the Tundra TRD pro, but for some reason stroke out when you ask them if they can at least produce one interesting trim level to the SUV side of the house. You lose the climate controlled lockable, cargo areas, BUT, its turnkey. I don't want to rip off bumpers, get new wheels, modify wheel wells.

The teaser is looking pretty good, it will be interesting to see how they tie the front end together with the trademark oversized predator grill. I think this bodes well for the form factor of the LC and 4R.

Between the Tacoma and GX reveal. I think we will have fairly good idea of where the LC and 4R are going to land as considering these are now platform builds, there is only so much they can differentiate without incurring a major cost. I am interested at this point.

While I would prefer the larger LX600, I think at this point the GX feels more interesting.

325hp/465tq in a smaller vehicle vs 410hp/480tq in a large vehicle, possibly better ground clearance, $70k vs $100k. I think of the three midsize BOH options coming down the pipe, Toyota may be able to produce something interesting. A reskinned GX as the LC with retro sheet metal at 60k. I would be in.

Something else i have thinking about. the Tundra and the TRD pro factory lift. A Tundra Platinum with panoramic roof, and 35's for around 70k. I think that the industry has figured out interesting Trucks, The ZR2, The Raptor, The T-Rex and to some extent the Tundra TRD pro, but for some reason stroke out when you ask them if they can at least produce one interesting trim level to the SUV side of the house. You lose the climate controlled lockable, cargo areas, BUT, its turnkey. I don't want to rip off bumpers, get new wheels, modify wheel wells.

I think it looks great! I'm super excited to see the Land Cruiser.

I'm not totally sure the LX will be bigger. It seems like it should be, but the new Tacoma has a slightly wider track width than the LX600 and shares the 9.5 rear end. That at least points me to the idea that they probably share axles and the width variation is just the wheel offset. Current 4Runner has more interior volume than the LX as well. It's starting to look like they'll be the same size with different bodies and suspension setups.

All indications are that the GX will come with the same TTv6 as the LX and a hybrid option with the turbo 4. So, you probably don't have to choose between them on engine options. It's also possible that the hybrid version of the LX will have the turbo4, not a TTv6 hybrid. But it's looking like the Land Cruiser version will only be turbo4 hybrid.

Agreed on the interesting trucks. I don't think Toyota did a great job with the Tundra. It's not really off-road ready, even in TRD Pro form. I mean - it's fine for fire roads. But it's not meaningfully different from a regular SR5 with the TRD OR package. It's low to the ground, so heavy, poor angles, and plastics that are not well suited for offroad use. It's still $10k in parts away from being ready to go. On the plus side, the factory lift is comprehensive and well priced. And a TRD OR package is available on almost all trims and it's not terribly challenging to add tires, armor, and a winch.

I think the new Land Cruiser will have everything the Tacoma Trail Hunter has, plus some. The 4Runner almost certainly will come in a matching Trail Hunter trim so if the Land Cruiser doesn't, the 4Runner will. If one or the other has 35's that are easy bolt on without requiring a re-gear, that's really all it'll need to be pretty desirable. Even if the top doesn't come off. I'm okay with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom