2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no basis for the validity of this, but it's worth tossing in here because it shows the GX release in Dec of 2023. Not sure when the reveal is. But it seems to match up with what I've been hearing about the LC/GX550.

403194d1677879416-best-speculation-2023-6th-generation-i-have-seen-rbehua526gla1-jpg

(LC is Lexus LC, not Toyota LC)
Could someone read the text in the bubbles and share findings?

Does RX in Aug show a PHEV tag?
There are two bubbles for LC. One in April and one in Sept. What does the LC tag in Sept show? Is that a convertible?
TX in Dec shows the same tag of PHEV.

There are a lot of assumptions in there. Why do you think Toyota would not build an EV LX or GX 15 years from now? End of the road? And I am sure Chevy, Ford, and Ram will stop building light duty pickups when everything moves into EV. oh wait….
It is certainly possible. But all the arrows point in one direction to me. Toyota is already dropping the eTNGA platform after only one product - BZ4X/RZ - because it doesn't work very well for BEVs to share an ICE platform. They're moving to a new BEV skateboard for around 2025 timeframe. I expect that it will then replace all of the rest of the lineup with various configurations and bodies on top.

If you look at what the domestics are doing for BEV trucks - they are going to unibody designs with IFS/IRS. Like the Rivian, Sierra, F150 Lightning is already IRS and going to a new EV skateboard in 2025. The Ram REV may stick with the BOF.

It is possible Toyota will come up with some type of BOF EV truck. It would certainly be on-brand for Toyota to stay 10 years behind the market and build a BEV BOF SUV with 150 miles of range and 50kw peak charge rate.

I think the most likely future of anything on the Lexus side is model akin to the Rivian R1S sold as a GX or LX. What is unlikely is a BOF with a EV drive unit slapped in upstream of a transfer case. So, it's also highly unlikely to have things like a transfer case, solid axle, or really anything shared with the GX historically. That's not bad necessarily. Just the end of the product line for a front engine BOF solid axle off-road platform. There's no reason to hold anything back for later. There is no later. Not for this vehicle in the USA.

EDIT: it sounds like the answer is that no one really knows yet what the future EV GX would be including Toyota. Design will likely begin in the 2025ish time frame for a 2029 release target. But a lot can change between now and then as we all know.

Last edited:
I have no clue what the value proposition is supposed to be in their line up.

Don’t worry. Neither does the CEO, who is now handing the kingdom to the younger Lexus head.

Retro as in bringing the 70 Series to the US, finally giving us the Prado, or some off-road-retro package on a 4Runner?
I'm hearing both 70 series retro (is it retro if the 70 series is still made?) And a modern 45 wagon. Or something in-between.

My interpretation of this is that the Land Cruiser will be 40 series styling with round headlights and GX will be 70 series style.

The Prado is similar style to lc300. Given that they're the same size, it might be kinda hard to tell the difference if they're close visually. The 4Runner is evolutionary to current style.

But before I get to excited - don't forget what we got the last time that concept fj45 was used... Also side note, someone in Toyota marketing needs to double check the calendar. That was made 1999, not 2000.

Last edited:
I'm hearing both 70 series retro (is it retro if the 70 series is still made?) And a modern 45 wagon. Or something in-between.

My interpretation of this is that the Land Cruiser will be 40 series styling with round headlights and GX will be 70 series style.

There is definitely a market for the vehicle you have described here. The Wrangler / Bronco segment is an IDEAL fit for a LC. And a manual tranny will make that icing on the cake.

There is definitely a market for the vehicle you have described here. The Wrangler / Bronco segment is an IDEAL fit for a LC. And a manual tranny will make that icing on the cake.
I absolutely agree that there's a market for a bronco/wrangler competitor. I'm skeptical that Toyota will build one. I don't think that a re-skin 4runner is a bronco competitor anymore than a 4runner or lc300 is. In one sense they are cross shopped some and common among the same demographic. But in another sense Toyota already has the 4runner so why sell another one of the same thing?

If it's another fj cruiser it's not really a meaningful effort to compete in that space. With enough aftermarket parts an fj cruiser can be a competent off-roader. Off the showroom floor it's not terribly interesting.

And this time it's going to cost more than the 4runner supposedly. IMO minimum specs to be serious in that market is double lockers, somewhere near 70:1 crawl ratio, and at least optional 35 inch tires - 37s on a top trim is class standard now. Base model should be 33s minimum. Toyota seems unlikely to do that.

I think the new Tacoma release next month will tell us pretty much everything except the styling.I t'll be interesting to see what comes out.

Everybody just keep guessing and wishing.

Wish in one hand and s*** in the other. See which one fills up faster... :rofl:

I don’t trust that Toyota will get their act together and build something 1) I would want to buy as a replacement for my 200 and 2) that I can buy without a 2-3 year wait once it is generally available. I think they have lost their way and it is going to take a lot of time to fix the issues. Clearly the last CEO thought it better to retire than spend his time doing what was needed.

Toyota's job is to be profitable and sustainable, that does not include pleasing small interest groups. Pretty simple.

Toyota already makes a 4Runner. How does it end up more profitable to make a second 4Runner and sell it side by side with the other 4runner? It would be like selling the Hilux and Tacoma together. They do it in some markets. Not sure why. It's not a rhetorical question. I really don't understand how this is supposed to work. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

The bronco and Wrangler each sell twice as many vehicles as the 4Runner. I'm not sure that segment is a small interest group. Toyota doesn't make enthusiast vehicles. Not anymore. But I think there is clearly a pretty big market for this segment worth going after. Unlike the CUV market where Toyota dominates, Im not sure targeting milquetoast is really the right tack on this one.

Maybe I'll be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited:
Toyota already makes a 4Runner. How does it end up more profitable to make a second 4Runner and sell it side by side with the other 4runner? It would be like selling the Hilux and Tacoma together. They do it in some markets. Not sure why. It's not a rhetorical question. I really don't understand how this is supposed to work. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

The bronco and Wrangler each sell twice as many vehicles as the 4Runner. I'm not sure that segment is a small interest group. Toyota doesn't make enthusiast vehicles. Not anymore. But I think there is clearly a pretty big market for this segment worth going after. Unlike the CUV market where Toyota dominates, Im not sure targeting milquetoast is really the right tack on this one.

Maybe I'll be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

The new hilux/tacoma will be interesting as that will essentially show there hand for their next gen BOF, mid size SUV segment.

I think the US market has demonstrated it will respond quite will to selling the same vehicle under different badges and name plates. People love the Yukon, Tahoe, and Escalade even though they are pretty much the same s***.

I think that the area where GM succeeds and toyota fails is when GM pretty makes all options available across the platform. Outside of an off road package in the Escalade, you can get what you want. Want a luxury tahoe with the big engine, its an option, want a off road yukon with diesel, its an option.

I like larger, BOF, Toyotas,

It blows my mind that in order avoid the terribly designed cargo area of the sequoia, one has to drop another 25k to get into the LX and get the down graded engine that comes standard in the Tundra while not offering an off road trim. Its just not worth it.

Ten years ago, i would never of assumed I would put the family into an Armada/Patrol, and would be considering something from Ford for my next vehicle but yet, here we are.

The new hilux/tacoma will be interesting as that will essentially show there hand for their next gen BOF, mid size SUV segment.

I think the US market has demonstrated it will respond quite will to selling the same vehicle under different badges and name plates. People love the Yukon, Tahoe, and Escalade even though they are pretty much the same s***.

I think that the area where GM succeeds and toyota fails is when GM pretty makes all options available across the platform. Outside of an off road package in the Escalade, you can get what you want. Want a luxury tahoe with the big engine, its an option, want a off road yukon with diesel, its an option.

It blows my mind that in order avoid the terribly designed cargo area of the sequoia, one has to drop another 25k to get into the LX and get the down graded engine that comes standard in the Tundra while not offering an off road trim. Its just not worth it.

Ten years ago, i would never of assumed I would put the family into an Armada/Patrol, and would be considering something from Ford for my next vehicle but yet, here we are.

You’ve got a point and kind of made me think…

If I were Toyota I would spin out Land Cruiser into its own brand. The thought never really occurred to me before. But I can see that kind of solving some brand identity issues going on, and allow for a higher / lower price points to make sense. The badge is very bloated with economy options right next to the BoF options, including some that nobody bought (LC). They have really failed to market them properly in the US at least.

Sell the highlander and rav 4 and whatever bs you want, but leave the real stuff separate to stand out. I mean personally i would never drive a toyota, but LC is major exception. Its got nothing in common other than reliability.

Last edited:

Looks like the new Tacoma is set to be revealed next week. Toyota USA just posted on their IG page a sneaky photo with a 3rd gen and plates reading 040423 and a blurred 4th gen in the distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom