2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know this is the new GX and not the new TX? It is a Lexus so it obviously is not the new LC. Though from the single C / D pillar TX picture we have seen, this is too boxy to be a TX. Could someone share the original link where this was posted?
Nevermind. I see the reveal news on Lexus Australia and USA sites. It is the GX model.

This one surely checks many boxes.

I think it looks great! I'm super excited to see the Land Cruiser.

I'm not totally sure the LX will be bigger. It seems like it should be, but the new Tacoma has a slightly wider track width than the LX600 and shares the 9.5 rear end. That at least points me to the idea that they probably share axles and the width variation is just the wheel offset. Current 4Runner has more interior volume than the LX as well. It's starting to look like they'll be the same size with different bodies and suspension setups.

All indications are that the GX will come with the same TTv6 as the LX and a hybrid option with the turbo 4. So, you probably don't have to choose between them on engine options. It's also possible that the hybrid version of the LX will have the turbo4, not a TTv6 hybrid. But it's looking like the Land Cruiser version will only be turbo4 hybrid.

Agreed on the interesting trucks. I don't think Toyota did a great job with the Tundra. It's not really off-road ready, even in TRD Pro form. I mean - it's fine for fire roads. But it's not meaningfully different from a regular SR5 with the TRD OR package. It's low to the ground, so heavy, poor angles, and plastics that are not well suited for offroad use. It's still $10k in parts away from being ready to go. On the plus side, the factory lift is comprehensive and well priced. And a TRD OR package is available on almost all trims and it's not terribly challenging to add tires, armor, and a winch.

I think the new Land Cruiser will have everything the Tacoma Trail Hunter has, plus some. The 4Runner almost certainly will come in a matching Trail Hunter trim so if the Land Cruiser doesn't, the 4Runner will. If one or the other has 35's that are easy bolt on without requiring a re-gear, that's really all it'll need to be pretty desirable. Even if the top doesn't come off. I'm okay with that.

Its looking good,

If they drop in the same engine as the LX into the GX, that will make the GX very interesting. It would have close to class leading hp/tq numbers. Hopefully that power plant ends up in the 4R.

interesting observation regarding the size of the GX and LX, while I would consider the LX a full size, SUV, Its probably the smallest full-size SUV out there, and if the GX ends up getting slightly larger, there's no practical point to jump into an LX outside of flexing on the poors. Add in the new TS, and one is left quite perplexed as to where the LX fits.

I would have to drive a Tundra, while its not a competitor to something like a raptor, they didn't drop anything into the Tundra that was a deal breaker like the sequoia's cargo area.

If the new GX has the LX's twin turbo V6 tuned anywhere near the Lx version, it will definitely make the LX a bit of the odd man out. Currently it's a very nice flagship.

Perhaps they'll offer the hybrid with some high powered tuning in the LX, and leave the non-hybrid in the GX.

The handle is under the X in Lexus. It’s a full sized lift gate now
I cropped and enhanced the photo and now I can see the visible lift gate handle.

So that means the glass can flip up separately or the entire lift gate can flip open, very helpful, thank you.

GX-Teaser-2-1500x1057~2.jpg

Its looking good,

If they drop in the same engine as the LX into the GX, that will make the GX very interesting. It would have close to class leading hp/tq numbers. Hopefully that power plant ends up in the 4R.

interesting observation regarding the size of the GX and LX, while I would consider the LX a full size, SUV, Its probably the smallest full-size SUV out there, and if the GX ends up getting slightly larger, there's no practical point to jump into an LX outside of flexing on the poors. Add in the new TS, and one is left quite perplexed as to where the LX fits.

I would have to drive a Tundra, while it’s not a competitor to something like a raptor, they didn't drop anything into the Tundra that was a deal breaker like the sequoia's cargo area.
’Flexing on the poors‘ 😂

I'm not a fan of most vloggers but Kirk Kreifels had a decent video showing the new Japanese automotive magazine BestCarWeb layout of the new Land Cruiser. The interesting thing about rendering, according to Kirk, is they have the rear window up swoop, between the B & C pillars, the same as the new GX. He also makes other comparisons in the video to the GX. Kirk is suggesting the render is close but Toyota would change out the front end / grill body work, depending if it is the International Prado or US Land Cruiser. To me, overall the rendering looks a little out of proportion and amateurish, like many renderings, especially the bad front and rear overhangs.

At 3:30 he has a table of dimensions and weight published by BestCarWeb.
1685275507720.png

If the new GX has the LX's twin turbo V6 tuned anywhere near the Lx version, it will definitely make the LX a bit of the odd man out. Currently it's a very nice flagship.

Perhaps they'll offer the hybrid with some high powered tuning in the LX, and leave the non-hybrid in the GX.

I like the LX, but its a hard sell for me, A base of 95k and it looks like they pulled the rear bench seat out of a tundra work truck and through some nice seat covers on it. For 95k, it really needs panoramic roof, second row captain's chairs and auto pilot. Having to drop 140k to get 1 out of these industry standard features in a flagship is marginal at best.

As I don't think the GX will have to pretend to be something its really not, I think the GX at around 70k "feels" about right for what the GX is.

If only they just brought the 70 series to the US or in fact the 300 series like most countries do except the US.

So instead, we are getting some bastardized design trying to be the 70 series, yet is a Prado, which they just slab the name Land Cruiser on :bang:

How is this going to carry the heritage of the 60, 80, 100 and 200 series?

It is a joke what Toyota is doing with the Land Cruiser in the US.

If only they just brought the 70 series to the US or in fact the 300 series like most countries do except the US.

So instead, we are getting some bastardized design trying to be the 70 series, yet is a Prado, which they just slab the name Land Cruiser on :bang:

The 70 series is so incredibly niche. It is never coming to the US. If we can't sell enough 200s there is no way we would sell enough 70's. The best we can hope for is that Toyota comes up with something new. I was impressed with the new Tacoma and I hope they can make something of the GX/Prado. My 200 is really too big of a truck. I welcome a downsize.

Not sure why Toyota would want to bring back the 300 series as it makes zero sense from a product lineup perspective; last time Toyota sold over 10K units of the LC was in 2000 (the model year before the Highlander and Sequoia stole the thunder). And the model hadn't seen over 4000 units annually since 2006 (the year before the Mercedes GL & Audi Q7) came out.

Face it; very few buying new full-size SUV's in the US care about off-road capability and durability. Vehicles in these classes are leased and are status symbols. You can't pull up to the Oscars in a car with a Toyota badge without being the laughingstock of the group. There is a reason the LX600 is now being offered in the UL trim that has no business going off-road because that's where the demand for these SUV's are; its in conquering paved undulation in places like Beverly Hills and not on unpaved dirt and rock paths.

The 70 series is so incredibly niche. It is never coming to the US. If we can't sell enough 200s there is no way we would sell enough 70's. The best we can hope for is that Toyota comes up with something new. I was impressed with the new Tacoma and I hope they can make something of the GX/Prado. My 200 is really too big of a truck. I welcome a downsize.

Jeeps are incredibly niche with below average reliability, and they sell like hot cakes.

Toyota never had any trouble selling Landcruiser's until they had great idea to Market it as a luxury vehicle. They took a vehicle that was designed for and used as a basic utility vehicle in 192 countries and made it do something different in one country. Of course its not going to sell welll.

Fast forward to today, and you have the same issue with vehicles having an identity crisis. The LX/300 is a Small, Fullsize BOF where as the GX is a large Midsize BOF and its looking like they will have the same drive train.

Not sure why Toyota would want to bring back the 300 series as it makes zero sense from a product lineup perspective; last time Toyota sold over 10K units of the LC was in 2000 (the model year before the Highlander and Sequoia stole the thunder). And the model hadn't seen over 4000 units annually since 2006 (the year before the Mercedes GL & Audi Q7) came out.

Face it; very few buying new full-size SUV's in the US care about off-road capability and durability. Vehicles in these classes are leased and are status symbols. You can't pull up to the Oscars in a car with a Toyota badge without being the laughingstock of the group. There is a reason the LX600 is now being offered in the UL trim that has no business going off-road because that's where the demand for these SUV's are; its in conquering paved undulation in places like Beverly Hills and not on unpaved dirt and rock paths.
The title of this thread is misleading, it has long been established that the 300 is not coming to the US. What is coming to the US is the 2024 Lexus GX and the 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser 250.

The 2024 Lexus GX will be revealed on June 8th and launch this fall. The current schedule for the 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser 250 is for it to be revealed by this fall and launch by the spring of 2024 (of course, this schedule is subject to change).

Toyota does sell the 300 series in the US as the LX and the reason it continues to struggle is because Toyota continues to use the wrong tool for the job.

You can't simply throw a new grill, headlights and leather seat covers into a basic utility vehicle and compete against propose built, luxury people movers from MB, GMC, Audi, and others. The 300 series is simply outclassed in this application. if the $120k Luxury trim level, of your vehicle comes with a rear bench seat. The vehicle has no business being associated with luxury. $40k Kias are now available with 2nd row captain's chairs and a panoramic roof.

People are retarded and have no issue blowing $100k on vehicles if they are interesting. Bronco and F150 Raptors, GMC Yukons and 2500 Truck Denali's, Wrangler 392's and T-Rex's if vehicles are interesting despite having no intention on using them off road.

We don’t know what we are getting. All of this is highly speculative.

Toyota does sell the 300 series in the US as the LX and the reason it continues to struggle is because Toyota continues to use the wrong tool for the job.

You can't simply throw a new grill, headlights and leather seat covers into a basic utility vehicle and compete against propose built, luxury people movers from MB, GMC, Audi, and others. The 300 series is simply outclassed in this application. if the $120k Luxury trim level, of your vehicle comes with a rear bench seat. The vehicle has no business being associated with luxury. $40k Kias are now available with 2nd row captain's chairs and a panoramic roof.

People are retarded and have no issue blowing $100k on vehicles if they are interesting. Bronco and F150 Raptors, GMC Yukons and 2500 Truck Denali's, Wrangler 392's and T-Rex's if vehicles are interesting despite having no intention on using them off road.
When did second row captain’s chairs become a luxury item?

I don't always pull up to the Oscar's, but when I do it's in a Land Cruiser bay bay.

The 90s were the only time where Land Cruiser reached its peak in popularity. Was featured in many music videos and driven by many ultra wealthy people. I'm quite positive celebrities pulled up in an 80 series at the Oscars back then. After that the Geländewagen, Hummer H2 and Escalade dominated the luxury 4x4 segment. People don't talk enough about those three vehicles and how they also took away sales from the legendary nameplate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom