2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to see how INEOS works out as reliability, parts availability, etc. are big unknowns. I definitely wouldn't want to go anywhere too remote in one until they have at least several years of demonstrated quality. But I think they've hit the overall design out of the park. It looks like a G-wagon or classic Land Rover, has solid front and rear axles, Recaro seats, thought has been put into making things easy for aftermarket support, and so on. Some have been questioning the choice of BMW for the engine, but they supposedly selected a good one there as well.
I think the choice of the B58/ZF8 combo is a good decision on their part. IIRC Toyota helped to co-develop the B58 for the supra, so it should be plenty stout. Parts availability and servicing are big unknowns, but I believe they parter with BMW for servicing, and make all shop manuals free to access.

B58 is a good design. Has about half a dozen iterations. I've read the Toyota version is somewhat different from the bmw both the head, pistons, and exhaust have some slight differences. But I'm no expert. It does share a lot of design concepts with the V35A and T24A. It uses the same block as the b57 diesel engine. And it's a narrow bore long stroke low rpm design. More of a truck engine. I don't love the cam chain on the back end. Otherwise the rest is pretty hard to argue with as long as manufacturing quality is high. I'm a lot of ways it's the engine the v35a could have been in a different world.

Plus it's super simple to access the turbo.

And the crazy thing is that the supra is a hair quicker in the quarter mile and on track with that truck engine than the M2 competition with the twin turbo higher power s55. Whatever magic is happening in the b58 - it works.

As far as the new LC powertrain info - looks like Toyota's NYIAS Tacoma reveal is a bit of a non-event. Feels a lot like the Tundra reveal where they strung it out over roughly half a century.

I remember when the 200 was released, there were some negative comments back then too. Toyota had sold out, it was a glorified highlander (and maybe looked like one a bit too :p). And the sage LC veterans told us the same types of comments were made when the 100 was released with IFS and a V8. Of course now both the 100 and 200 are proven to be worth every bit of the Land Cruiser name.

I'm sure the same's happening here. With government regulation the days of NA V8's are winding down, so Toyota's adapting to the times with a more modern and fuel efficient drivetrain. I'm not concerned, Toyota's been doing turbos for over 40 years now. And Land Cruiser is a global standard, Toyota isn't going to mess that up with an unreliable engine.
I loved it when the highlander and the Land Cruiser looked similar. I was often mistaken for a highlander- made it possible to hide in plain sight with a high end vehicle that none one knew what it was.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1681061691273.png

1681061873130.png

To be clear - I would never confuse a LX600 for a Highlander, but I also wouldn't have confused a LC200. What I find a bit funny/interesting is how similar the 17-19 highlander front clip is to the LX600. And all of the journalists who loved the highlander front clip ranted about how terrible the LX600 is. I actually quite like both of them aesthetically. I think it's a nice look. I assume they probably shared the same design group given that the LX design was likely locked in around 2018 while the highlander was still in production. I can only imagine how close the TX will be to the old highlander if it shares the LX design language on a more similar body profile. It has the potential to be a really nice looking design. Hope they use the LX styling more than RX. The new RX beak is not attractive.

Last edited:
My dealer has me first on the list for whatever the next LC is. I have no clue what it’ll be, but at least I’m first to make the choice : )

New taco photos today. Biggest takeaways imo are TRD pro has adjustable front fox bypass shocks. I nearly missed it.

To me it appears that the steering ends lol very similar to lc300 as does the upright/spindle. The LCA is significantly different with no obvious sway bar.

Looks like they're really stepping up the suspension package.

WRT the new Land Cruiser - assuming TRD pro 4runner gets the same setup, what is the new Land Cruiser going to use that sets it apart as more off-road capacity?

1681875587274.png

New taco photos today. Biggest takeaways imo are TRD pro has adjustable front fox bypass shocks. I nearly missed it.

To me it appears that the steering ends lol very similar to lc300 as does the upright/spindle. The LCA is significantly different with no obvious sway bar.

Looks like they're really stepping up the suspension package.

WRT the new Land Cruiser - assuming TRD pro 4runner gets the same setup, what is the new Land Cruiser going to use that sets it apart as more off-road capacity?

View attachment 3301935
Land Cruiser was never solely about off-road capability. It is all about getting you wherever you want to go, and back, reliably for 25 plus years.

View attachment 3301935

Is this a 3rd gen '23 Tacoma or is his the forthcoming 4th gen?
Also, is that an aluminum steering knuckle?

Land Cruiser was never solely about off-road capability. It is all about getting you wherever you want to go, and back, reliably for 25 plus years.
In this case if the new Land Cruiser is *supposedly* going to share the same platform with the 4Runner, it'll need something to differentiate it. Historically both platforms last 25 years consistently. The vehicle repair data I know of suggests that the 4Runner actually does slightly better in terms of reliability but that's mostly due to the LC100. But it's within the margin of error either way. If the new LC shares the same platform, same powertrain options, and roughly the same physical size, and the 4Runner comes with adjustable fox 2.5 bypass shocks - what else is there? 3.0 shocks? 35's? Is a boxy body with ambulance doors really enough to justify another $10-15k? I have no idea.
Is this a 3rd gen '23 Tacoma or is his the forthcoming 4th gen?
Also, is that an aluminum steering knuckle?
This is the 4th gen Taco - and yes, aluminum steering knuckle (I call it a spindle or upright). Visually it appears to be the same part or similar to what the LC300 uses. As does the steering tie rod end parts. It seems reasonable to guess that since they both are on the GA-F platform, they might share most of the front end components, although they clearly do not share lower control arms.

It's the new 4th gen. Toyota has been drip feeding a bunch of teasers for it lately.
Yes, aluminum knuckles. Same as the new gen Tundra.

This is the 4th gen Taco - and yes, aluminum steering knuckle (I call it a spindle or upright). Visually it appears to be the same part or similar to what the LC300 uses. As does the steering tie rod end parts. It seems reasonable to guess that since they both are on the GA-F platform, they might share most of the front end components, although they clearly do not share lower control arms.

This is one spot where I REALLY want steel parts, though this would be a good place for the aftermarket to step in...

I just hope the OE stuff are 7075 forgings...

This is one spot where I REALLY want steel parts, though this would be a good place for the aftermarket to step in...

Aluminum makes it pretty hard to reinforce. But I have to think Toyota has built them to be pretty robust. Toyota pioneered a lot of steel cold forging for making this type of part. I think they'd do a lot of testing to verify the durability and strength of the aluminum version. It looks like all GA-F models will have the same design. I'm a bit surprised they didn't go to aluminum upper and lower control arms as well. I prefer steel for ease of modifying, but those are just as common to make in aluminum and it requires a lot fewer parts and less manufacturing steps.

In this case if the new Land Cruiser is *supposedly* going to share the same platform with the 4Runner, it'll need something to differentiate it. Historically both platforms last 25 years consistently. The vehicle repair data I know of suggests that the 4Runner actually does slightly better in terms of reliability but that's mostly due to the LC100. But it's within the margin of error either way. If the new LC shares the same platform, same powertrain options, and roughly the same physical size, and the 4Runner comes with adjustable fox 2.5 bypass shocks - what else is there? 3.0 shocks? 35's? Is a boxy body with ambulance doors really enough to justify another $10-15k? I have no idea.

My understanding is that the new "Land Cruiser" will be the LC Prado. So a Lexus GX. Would be weird to have 4Runner and LC both be Prados.

My understanding is that the new "Land Cruiser" will be the LC Prado. So a Lexus GX. Would be weird to have 4Runner and LC both be Prados.
The new Land Cruiser is real, it has been seen by some already, multiple platform models is nothing new.

Retro baby!

What I've been told is that it's not a Prado. Prado and 4runner carry on as evolutionarily updates. GX and Land Cruiser will be different from 4runner and Prado who are functional equivalents for their respective markets. No version of the Prado, Hilux, Fortuner for USA. What's unclear is how similar or different they all are.

According to Toyota top LC300 engineer, every part of LC300 is either equivalent or stronger than the same LC200 component.

According to Toyota top LC300 engineer, every part of LC300 is either equivalent or stronger than the same LC200 component.
FYI...this is my source: FEATURE STORIES|Land Cruiser’s 70-Year History and Design Philosophy: Interview with Chief Engineers (Part 2)|TOYOTA TIMES - https://toyotatimes.jp/en/report/landcruiser_70th/041.html

“That is why development involves thorough testing until the breaking point, and why engineers each time seek to “match or surpass previous models” in every respect.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom