2024 GX/Prado Release and Discussion (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very neat idea!
But be careful there. We wouldn't want Toyota to actually produce a compelling product now would we?
We are in the business of REMOVING functionality, not adding.
Stop using this board as your therapy. Go see a therapist, or write Toyota directly. You are frustrated with Toyota, however silly and juvenile that is, you're taking it out on the people who choose to buy the LX. Ridiculous and childish.

Toyota is actually in the business of making money for their corporation and their stockholders by making a product that can be sold in a large enough volume to achieve their corporate goals. This will often mean they remove certain features while they add some new features. But the product has to sell at the end of the day. Your posts make it seem as if they have a personal vendetta against you. At the end of the day, we all have to decide if the product we are buying provides meaningful value. If a specific one does not, then you don't buy it.

Stop using this board as your therapy. Go see a therapist, or write Toyota directly. You are frustrated with Toyota, however silly and juvenile that is, you're taking it out on the people who choose to buy the LX. Ridiculous and childish.

I get notified by direct replies. Otherwise I have unwatched but please do continue the boot licking without me.

You think im a child and needs therapy, and if we are name calling, i think you are a delusional fanboy. And yeah obviously im upset that I no longer have a valid upgrade path for my third LX. They have lost me and many other fans due to their greed and stagnation. No LC for USA, and a subpar LX. Thanks for educating me on how corporations work though.

Matter of fact, evidence and actual reality suggest Toyota has recognized they are lacking and behind in every department. They launched a surprise EV overhaul reveal full of vaporware to save face, then they back peddled, then they reasserted their need for change, then they relaunched the prius? Then the ceo is stepping down and has acknowledged on record they need a massive shift in direction and Lexus head is overtaking despite the current being way younger in years than his predecessor at departure. He has admitted they can’t maneuver in the modern era. You are a Toyota fan sure, but any fool knows their outdated but solid reliable model is past its expiration date in today’s automotive landscape.

On top of this, I actually think all the US team co-developed products are great. The new Tundra & Sequoia (now with rear axle back!) are competitive and have improved a lot on design and features. They still have issues and nothing is perfect, but both are massively better than the old severely outdated vehicles. I don’t have blinders on, and give credit when its deserved. I am optimistic about the GX and 4 Runner as well.

Not a single reply has acknowledged any of the issues, and im not surprised since your head has to be buried deep in the sand to be satisfied with what you bought. Just more bull**** like: “i dont like technology” on a car now with three s***ty touchscreens with lame ass UI. Ok boomer, your entire existence depends on technology… whatever you say.

And once again, I’m happy someone is happy with their purchase, and i don’t blame anyone for not buying a defender or RR at all. Just don’t pretend its competitive in any area outside of longevity, which is its only real strength at this point. And we have yet to see how that pans out…

I am a bit sad because I only came to Toyota and Lexus recently. Before now, reliability was not a big factor for me. And now, to a certain extent, that seems to be squeezed out of Toyota. I am not sure I even want a 300 with the twin turbo V-6. But I do think Toyota is smart not to go all in on EV. I think companies are kidding themselves that we will have an adequate EV charging network in the next decade.

I am a bit sad because I only came to Toyota and Lexus recently. Before now, reliability was not a big factor for me. And now, to a certain extent, that seems to be squeezed out of Toyota. I am not sure I even want a 300 with the twin turbo V-6. But I do think Toyota is smart not to go all in on EV. I think companies are kidding themselves that we will have an adequate EV charging network in the next decade.
The biggest problem I see with EV's and the charging network is the sheer amount of time it takes to charge a vehicle. With gas stations, even with a large tank, you can be back on the road in 5-10 minutes (a bit longer if you have a REALLY large tank). With EV's, if you need to fully charge a depleted battery, it's potentially an hour or more before you can be back on the road, even with high output chargers. That's fine if you want to go get a slow sit down meal while you wait, but not so much if you were hoping to stop for a quick refuel, perhaps grab some fast food, and get back on the road.

I admire Toyota for seriously questioning the viability of EV's, but only time will tell if they're being smart on this. If they pick something that's "better" but they're the only ones doing it, it won't matter if it doesn't take off and refueling stations (whatever they might be) aren't readily available while everyone else continues to use batteries. Their solution could be the next iteration of Sony's Beta video tape.

Quality squeezed out of Toyota? Why would you think that? Based on launch issues in the first model year? Everyone has issues and the ones Toyota has had with the turbos on the LC, LX, and Tundra have apparently been limited to 120 or so vehicles worldwide according warranty insights. That is a trivial amount.

I get notified by direct replies. Otherwise I have unwatched but please do continue the boot licking without me.

You think im a child and needs therapy, and if we are name calling, i think you are a delusional fanboy. And yeah obviously im upset that I no longer have a valid upgrade path for my third LX. They have lost me and many other fans due to their greed and stagnation. No LC for USA, and a subpar LX. Thanks for educating me on how corporations work though.

Matter of fact, evidence and actual reality suggest Toyota has recognized they are lacking and behind in every department. They launched a surprise EV overhaul reveal full of vaporware to save face, then they back peddled, then they reasserted their need for change, then they relaunched the prius? Then the ceo is stepping down and has acknowledged on record they need a massive shift in direction and Lexus head is overtaking despite the current being way younger in years than his predecessor at departure. He has admitted they can’t maneuver in the modern era. You are a Toyota fan sure, but any fool knows their outdated but solid reliable model is past its expiration date in today’s automotive landscape.

On top of this, I actually think all the US team co-developed products are great. The new Tundra & Sequoia (now with rear axle back!) are competitive and have improved a lot on design and features. They still have issues and nothing is perfect, but both are massively better than the old severely outdated vehicles. I don’t have blinders on, and give credit when its deserved. I am optimistic about the GX and 4 Runner as well.

Not a single reply has acknowledged any of the issues, and im not surprised since your head has to be buried deep in the sand to be satisfied with what you bought. Just more bulls*** like: “i dont like technology” on a car now with three s***ty touchscreens with lame ass UI. Ok boomer, your entire existence depends on technology… whatever you say.

And once again, I’m happy someone is happy with their purchase, and i don’t blame anyone for not buying a defender or RR at all. Just don’t pretend its competitive in any area outside of longevity, which is its only real strength at this point. And we have yet to see how that pans out…
"better" is subjective.

the new tundra and sequoia are 'worse' in a number of categories as well.

I remember when the 200 was released, there were some negative comments back then too. Toyota had sold out, it was a glorified highlander (and maybe looked like one a bit too :p). And the sage LC veterans told us the same types of comments were made when the 100 was released with IFS and a V8. Of course now both the 100 and 200 are proven to be worth every bit of the Land Cruiser name.

I'm sure the same's happening here. With government regulation the days of NA V8's are winding down, so Toyota's adapting to the times with a more modern and fuel efficient drivetrain. I'm not concerned, Toyota's been doing turbos for over 40 years now. And Land Cruiser is a global standard, Toyota isn't going to mess that up with an unreliable engine.

I remember when the 200 was released, there were some negative comments back then too. Toyota had sold out, it was a glorified highlander (and maybe looked like one a bit too :p). And the sage LC veterans told us the same types of comments were made when the 100 was released with IFS and a V8. Of course now both the 100 and 200 are proven to be worth every bit of the Land Cruiser name.

I'm sure the same's happening here. With government regulation the days of NA V8's are winding down, so Toyota's adapting to the times with a more modern and fuel efficient drivetrain. I'm not concerned, Toyota's been doing turbos for over 40 years now. And Land Cruiser is a global standard, Toyota isn't going to mess that up with an unreliable engine.
One big difference this time around is that Toyota pretty clearly doesn't have an "enthusiast" (one might want to say "off road enthusiast") variant of the 300 series here in the US. For the 100 and 200 series, the Land Cruiser was obviously that model (even though it was still pretty fully loaded), but for the 300 series, the LX with the big bumpers, 22" wheels, etc. clearly isn't targeted at the enthusiast market. They may have determined that very few NEW Land Cruisers were actually seeing the dirt and decided there's more money to be made in what they've done with the LX as fancy wheels, better leather, etc. are high profit add ons. From a fiscal standpoint, it doesn't make sense to sell a less profitable version to a small group of enthusiasts when they can sell a higher profit version to the larger group of people who are buying them new.

I expect it will take a few years for the 300 to show up on the off-road trails. We saw the same pattern for the GX where it took a few years for the initial lease holders to turn their vehicles in and the subsequent round of buyers removed the fancy wheels and tires and made it more off-road equipped. The same 300 runs decent trails in the other markets and the NA product is not a whole lot different other than the bling bling bumper and wheels.

Quality squeezed out of Toyota? Why would you think that? Based on launch issues in the first model year? Everyone has issues and the ones Toyota has had with the turbos on the LC, LX, and Tundra have apparently been limited to 120 or so vehicles worldwide according warranty insights. That is a trivial amount.
Sorry, I just have little confidence in the long term reliability of turbo charged engines. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I kinda doubt it.

Sorry, I just have little confidence in the long term reliability of turbo charged engines. Maybe time will prove me wrong, but I kinda doubt it.
Then you definitely won’t like the fact that supposedly the turbos need to be serviced every 100k miles or so and the service is supposed to be priced similar to a timing belt service.

Last edited:
Then you definitely won’t like the fact that supposedly the turbos need replaced every 100k miles or so and the service is supposed to be priced similar to a timing belt service.

In view of the price of prior Toyota turbochargers, not to mention the unfriendly location of them on this model, I find it comical that turbo replacemnet would be remotely close to a timing belt job.

Then you definitely won’t like the fact that supposedly the turbos need replaced every 100k miles or so and the service is supposed to be priced similar to a timing belt service.

Like the timing belt I don't have to change at 100k miles on my 200?

Here you go... times two.
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 19-56-17 17208-70070 - Turbocharger Sub Ass Longo Toyota Parts.png

Here's the other one.
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 19-58-08 17201-70070 - Turbocharger Sub Ass Longo Toyota Parts.png

$6,529.00 for a pair of turbos... (wholesale I might add)

Hardly seems enough..

Well, I just hope someone makes a solid axle vehicle dedicated for off road use some time in the future. Like a reasonably powered 80 series LC...(looking forward to picking up one of these from INEOS of all places).
354D4604-0CD4-483B-9596-211A169FBE88.jpeg

In the mean time, have had the LX600 for 14k miles and it's the perfect rig for traveling around the USA. If I get tired of lugging around my underpowered, modified Tacoma with all its capability to crawl up and over just about anything, I'll throw a small lift on my LX, a roof rack and some rear cabin goodies and have an outstandingly comfortable, quiet, and capable Overlander.

I do hope we some day get the LC300 here, but truly, the Lx600 base model seems to be a good platform to start with, and with a not too significant investment can be coaxed into a very nice rig.

Turbo rebuild is usually about $500. Iirc these are twin scroll without any veins to rebuild. Just bearings and cleaning I think. But the cab off to replace is going to be at least $3k to get started. Get it done for $5k and you'll be doing pretty well.

I'm pretty curious to see what the lifespan is on these. The cooling pre turbo should go a long way toward a long lifespan. Would be really interesting to know what the EGTs are. If they can get them down to like 700 or 500 they might be lifetime turbos. Hopefully we'll never see them glowing cherry red like the Ecoboost towing.

Not a single reply has acknowledged any of the issues, and im not surprised since your head has to be buried deep in the sand to be satisfied with what you bought. Just more bulls*** like: “i dont like technology” on a car now with three s***ty touchscreens with lame ass UI. Ok boomer, your entire existence depends on technology… whatever you say.
Hilarious how some of the younger generation think they invented technology.

Some of us boomers have been working in the fields of technology for decades, inventing some of the things the younger generation gets to enjoy. I've worked on defense programs, space programs and aircraft programs, having seen many advances in technology you could never imagine and some you can, including some of the first touchscreens.

Well, I just hope someone makes a solid axle vehicle dedicated for off road use some time in the future. Like a reasonably powered 80 series LC...(looking forward to picking up one of these from INEOS of all places).
It's going to see how INEOS works out as reliability, parts availability, etc. are big unknowns. I definitely wouldn't want to go anywhere too remote in one until they have at least several years of demonstrated quality. But I think they've hit the overall design out of the park. It looks like a G-wagon or classic Land Rover, has solid front and rear axles, Recaro seats, thought has been put into making things easy for aftermarket support, and so on. Some have been questioning the choice of BMW for the engine, but they supposedly selected a good one there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom