30 spline Longfield carnage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know most guys enjoy seeing busted parts. Back in October when I was at Area 51 my front end made some noise while turning drivers. Shortly after that it began pulling to the drivers side. After getting it back home I did some "test" driving around my area and didn't hear any noises. Everything seemed to be working fine again. Thanksgiving weekend I headed back to Area 51 and almost right away one of the guys noticed my passenger side front tire wasn't pulling like it should. We took it back to the campground and pulled the hub off and couldn't find anything wrong. It wasn't making any noises so at this point it was a mystery as to what was wrong. My best guess was that my front locker teeth had sheered off on one side causing the passenger side to not lock up. A week ago I pulled my front end apart and was shocked at what I found. The cage on my 30 spline Longfield on the passenger side was cracked. I suspect that this crack caused additional space between the shaft splines and the groves on the cage. I imagine the splines on the shaft are worn off and the shaft was just splining inside the birfield. Locker and all other parts were fine. My Longfields have been abused for a good year and a half. I called up Bobby Long and he is replacing both Longfields with his latest redesigned version, which are stronger.

Longfields4.jpg

Damn dude, you're rough on stuff! :D hehe Nice job. I take it that the parts are under warranty?

Josh
Yes, parts are under warranty. Bobby Long is great about standing behind his products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom