3 Speed Transmission Input/Output Bearing Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I'm working on this 66' here: 1966 FJ40 Frame-Off Build (3rd Generation Owner)

I'm now taking a total of 3 used three speed transmissions to make one decent one for this restoration. Bearing question though, I was installing the input bearing on the input shaft and I noticed that the rear of the bearing is not "open", it's closed up with a metal shield. I've done lots of transmissions before and I've never seen this. The OEM bearings are obviously open to allow oil to flow and lubricate the whole works. The bearing numbers are "almost" the same. Both the input and output bearings are the same size.

Should I chisel off this metal guard? I'm concerned that the bearing is going to receive zero oiling with it in there. Need some advice, here are the pics
IMG_3901.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG

As long as one side is open as it appears to be from the photos, it will be fine as is.

As long as one side is open as it appears to be from the photos, it will be fine as is.

Not if it's the inside that's sealed off. That bearing will die a quick death.

Just pull the seal off and you're good to go.

Remove the shield.You don't need to chisel it.......a small pick or a thin flathead screwdriver.Pry up on it and it will pop right off.

Remove the shield.You don't need to chisel it.......a small pick or a thin flathead screwdriver.Pry up on it and it will pop right off.
Thank you, that is exactly what I did. The shield was on the "inside" of the transmission so no oil would have run into the bearings. Dumb that the shield is even on there. Thank you everyone for your input

Thank you, that is exactly what I did. The shield was on the "inside" of the transmission so no oil would have run into the bearings. Dumb that the shield is even on there. Thank you everyone for your input

Nope. Makes perfect sense. You purchased a bearing with a "Z" suffix (307ZNR). That means it's sealed on one side. "ZZ" would mean both sides were sealed. No z's = no seals. The "NR" means it has a snap ring and groove.

Edit: just noticed you got it from SOR. im surprised they don't sell the 307NR without the seals.

Last edited:
Nope. Makes perfect sense. You purchased a bearing with a "Z" suffix (307ZNR). That means it's sealed on one side. "ZZ" would mean both sides were sealed. No z's = no seals. The "NR" means it has a snap ring and groove.

Edit: just noticed you got it from SOR. im surprised they don't sell the 307NR without the seals.
Well, consider me informed now, I'm impressed. It did come straight from SOR so why they are selling this bearing for 3 speed transmission applications make little sense. Those shields are in the recycle now so all is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom