1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 speed transfer case?'s

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by ozarkcruiser, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ozarkcruiser

ozarkcruiser

Ok, I am putting a 4.3 vortec in my 72 cruiser. I am going to run a 4 spd toyota transmission and my 72 3 spd transfer case. Based on some research I believe I am going to need a transition gear to mate the transmission output shaft to the gearing of the transfer case. I stumbled across this gear from a 74 transfer case from a local guy that he says will bolt the 4 spd tranny to the 3 spd transfer case. Is this correct? What does the FSM call this gear so I can start tearing into the transfer case? Thanks.
    Jake

[​IMG]

2. 76FJ40

76FJ40 Old Fart SILVER Star

There's what's known as the "transition" T case from '74 that uses the gear you're talking about. You can check the SOR catalog to see the specific date range that this gear applies to. as I recall, it's something like 32 teeth and 16 spline.

3. peesalot

peesalot

you want 16 spline on the inside .
    It is a special gear cause it has 16 inside and mates to the older 3 spd tcase gearing whereas the 4 spd tcase's had different gearing so you use the special gear that lets the 4 spd tranny go infront of the 3 spd tcase.

4. ozarkcruiser

ozarkcruiser

It is the 16 spline. When you say go in front of 3spd tcase you mean IN the actual case correct?

5. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Yes he does.

Some '74's got the four speed tranny with a 3 spd tcase. Hence the adapter gear. Count the inner splines to be sure. Some '74's got 3 spd trannies with a standard 3 spd case.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005