3 speed transfer case gear placement question: Its got to be easy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am ready to put my 3 speed tranny and transfer case together.

Once I slide the tranny shaft into the transfer case, there are two large gears and two spacers (one is thicker than the other) that go between them that are installed in the transfer case

My FSM and all diagrams I have pulled off the net do not tell or show me the orientation of the gears, nor which spacer goes in first and where

I cant believe the FSM does not show or explain the above. All the FSM says is "Note orientation when dissasembling"

I am ready to get this vehicle rolling and this is the only thing holding me back

Any pics, explanation or walkthru is GREATLY appreciated

To clear the question up, the gears and spacers in question: The two gears are called the transfer input gear and the PTO Drive gear

Between these two gears are two spacers: They are of different widths, and unfortunately, they are not shown in the FSM diagram (figures 3-2, 3-3, 3-4) I need to know which spacer goes in first and the two gear oreintation

Byron Thanks, but not the right diagram. I checked out all of SORs diagrams, and they don't show what I need

HEre a pic of the location I am taking about, I still cant see where the two spacers go

The input gear should go in "first", closest to the transmission. Assuming that you're not going to run a PTO, the orientation of the spacers makes very little difference. IIRC, their job is to space the PTO gear out correctly so it can mesh with the PTO drive (if you have one). The order should be: input gear, spacer, PTO gear, spacer. Hopefully this gets you close. Later cases didn't use spacers

Post up a pic of what you are talking about and I will see if I can get you a pic.

I can't believe I can't find better pictures and I'm still not sure what you are talking about. However if you are talking about removing the PTO gear and putting a spacer in it is pretty straight forward. One spacer goes where the PTO gear was the other goes on the tail shaft of the of the t-case where the nose cone is.

untitled.png
untitled1.png
untitled2.png
untitled3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom