Wanted 3 speed trans & T-Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alex Waddell

SILVER Star
Threads
Floor shift 3 speed transmission with floor shift t-case in working condition.

I have several. A lot cheaper if you want to just transfer your shifters over.

I may have an option to put in a 4 speed if I cannot find a 3 speed which is stock for my 1968 FJ40. Do you think that deviating from stock would hurt the value?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions but I have given up on finding floor shift linkages & parts for my 3 speed & T-case. I ended up picking up a 4 speed transmission with a floor shift t-case last night. I now have a 3 speed transmission & t-case plus a fly wheel, throw-out bearing & clutch plate if anyone needs them.

The four speed is a great upgrade for a truck you want to keep and drive for a long time. I am not a purist,and have upgraded three of my four rigs to the 4 speed.

Enjoy. Resale value is overrated.

65swb45, Thanks for the feedback! I am new to the cruiser world and have read posts about the "ethics" of replacing stock parts with non-stick stuff so I didn't want to do something that would hurt resale value.
This FJ40 is just a fun project for me but my wife would kill me if I drop big bucks into it and not be able to sell it for as much or more than I have in it.
I have managed to keep from getting underwater with my 85 Toyota 4X4 by doing as much of my own work as possible and pinching pennies and I hope to do the same with this FJ40.

s-l1000.jpg

@kevos37

:D

The four speed is a great upgrade for a truck you want to keep and drive for a long time. I am not a purist,and have upgraded three of my four rigs to the 4 speed.

Enjoy. Resale value is overrated.

For the flipper resale value is more important than those who actually want to keep and use their cruiser. That said learning to go off road with a three on tree cruiser was not a bad thing. Required a lot more skill than first 4X4 being a locked 80 series.

For the flipper resale value is more important than those who actually want to keep and use their cruiser. That said learning to go off road with a three on tree cruiser was not a bad thing. Required a lot more skill than first 4X4 being a locked 80 series.
Agreed John. It’s been a long round trip for me, slowly building up Ruftoys from a 3speed to a now H41/Orion that rarely gets driven, an H42/3 speed case in the 45 that is first choice for every adventure, to the Karma Cruiser’s three-on-the tree that I wheeled the piss out of at Black Hills Cruiser Classic last year. After you learn how to wheel in a well-built rig, you just start to wonder if you could do just as well, or close to it, with less.

And we are not alone. I wheeled Kate version 6.0 when Nolen @wngrog was done building it. Crazy machine on 42s. Look at Nolan’s fleet now. I don’t think he’s taking any of those rigs to the Hammers. But I’m sure he’s using the experience he got behind the wheel of Kate to rock those old FJs the way they were intended.

All that said, I still bow to the supremacy of the H42. Over the H55. Over the NVs. Hands down the most comfortable ratios in a truck trans.

Agreed John. It’s been a long round trip for me, slowly building up Ruftoys from a 3speed to a now H41/Orion that rarely gets driven, an H42/3 speed case in the 45 that is first choice for every adventure, to the Karma Cruiser’s three-on-the tree that I wheeled the piss out of at Black Hills Cruiser Classic last year. After you learn how to wheel in a well-built rig, you just start to wonder if you could do just as well, or close to it, with less.

And we are not alone. I wheeled Kate version 6.0 when Nolen @wngrog was done building it. Crazy machine on 42s. Look at Nolan’s fleet now. I don’t think he’s taking any of those rigs to the Hammers. But I’m sure he’s using the experience he got behind the wheel of Kate to rock those old FJs the way they were intended.

All that said, I still bow to the supremacy of the H42. Over the H55. Over the NVs. Hands down the most comfortable ratios in a truck trans.

Yep. I’ve wheeled all over the country and somehow have managed to still have fun and be challenged with no lockers for coming up on 9 years now.

Another fact is that the H42 is the best.

I just wish Toyota had made a H56F that first thru forth was geared like the H42 plus a overdrive. Just need someone to make a counter shaft for the H55F to mate to H42 gears.

This is my first Land Cruser so I am getting used to what works for them gear ratio wise.
My current trail rig is a 1985 EFI Toyota SR5 with a R151F 5 Speed, 4.8:1 Crawler gears in the T-case, and 4.88's in the differentials, locked up front and back, with 33" tires.
With this rig I can cruise on the freeway at 75 mph and crawl on the trails with a 99:1 crawl ratio.
However, you need all those gears when your engine only has 115 hp.
I am trying to figure out what gearing I will need for my FJ40 with a 4.3 vortec V6. I am currently running the stock 4.1 axles with no lift or lockers.
Any advice for turning this FJ40 into a capable trail rig would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom