1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Speed Tranny Q's (I need ANSWERS)

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by TJDIV, Mar 13, 2004.

1. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey;

We got the Wagon rolling today; has a great clutch in it, shifts smooth, but first gear sounds like it has lost a tooth or something. I've also had experience with the t-case dropping teeth too, but, my question; as I am not going to get into heavy mods with this Cruiser...is...

Will a 4 speed tranny and case be a straight replacement, is there an adapter and if yes, where to get it outside of AA.

Can I just get another first gear (gear) for the tranny?

OR (worst case scenario for me) What is the cleanest, least fabrication required aftermarket Toyota trans to swap out in the place of the original 3 speed and case?

Thanks. I will have pics posted up within the month as soon as I finish prepping the body for the Durabak coating(s).

Tom IV

*edit*

I just checked the tranny in the garage; it's a 16 spline tranny. Could it be a 3 or a 4 speed? Truth be told I'm not certain of the year it came out of. I guess I could just measure the cases and see if it'd be a straight fit to swap? AND no, I haven't tried to shift through it to double check, it's packed away.

I need some answers; we want to do this in the A.M.

Thanks.

2. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    3 Speed Tranny Q's

Here's a pic of the Beast without any prep work done to it.

Man I can't wait till this thing is done. It rolls like a f*ckin' TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEY; can anyone Photoshop this for me with a BLUE body and a WHITE top? If you can thanks!!

IV

3. Nadeau71

Nadeau71

3 speed output shaft 10 splines , 9'' long
    4 speed output shaft 16 splines, 12'' long

I did a complete rebuilt on my 3 speed 2 years ago. It's easy and cheap. It all depends on how many gears needs to be changed. To go from 3 to 4 speed tranny, you must change the bellhousing, clutch , have some driveshaft mods, and you need the t-case from the 4 speed tranny. I think GM's sm420 4 speed is a direct bolt on to the Toyota 3 speed bellhousing.
    But you will need a t-case adapter. Hope it helps.... Good Luck and BTW, your cruiser is HOT!!!!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">