3 speed to 4 speed swap - questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ukboneman

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone, I know there is a lot written on Mud on this topic and I have read most of it. I have a '73 with a 3 speed and I am swapping it to a 4 speed but keeping the 3 speed TC. I have a 4 speed bell housing. I am trying to decide what to do about the clutch. Am I correct that I can keep the original clutch set up, as I am going to rebuild the clutch while I have everything apart? Since I am investing $$ in the clutch, would you guys switch to the 4 speed set up or stick with the 3 speed. I have a 4 speed fork and bearing hub in addition to the 3 speed stuff. Also, what is on the tip of my speed input shaft - should that be removed?
07E13668-7756-4E9F-B3B3-9B0088DD2321.jpeg

That looks like an inner race of a bearing stuck on the tip.

Last edited:
you can use either assembly weather it be the 3 speed, 3 finger design or the later 4 speed diagphram design.
you just need to keep all the parts together all 3 finger stuff or all later stuff
some guys run the 3 finger setup on later rigs for the extra rotating mass of the flywheel for low speed crawling

Whatever you choose, DON'T MIX UP YOUR PIVOT BALLS! Double check which one goes with which fork.

Tape the appropriate pivot to each fork, and HIDE the fork (and pivot) you decide against.

I`m running a 4 speed with a 69 F engine all 3 speed clutch stuff no problems and operates smooth

That looks like an inner race of a bearing stuck on the tip.
Thanks. It was a bit of a bear to get off. I heat didn't loosen it at all. I thought it would. I ended up grinding a groove in it; and then knocked it right off

I`m running a 4 speed with a 69 F engine all 3 speed clutch stuff no problems and operates smooth
Thanks for the input. For simplicity, I am going to stay with the 3 speed clutch. An since I have you guys here, I have a 3 speed e-brake but not a 4. I think I am going to go with shortening the drive shafts instead of going with the 4-speed shafts. Opinions?

Thanks for the input. For simplicity, I am going to stay with the 3 speed clutch. An since I have you guys here, I have a 3 speed e-brake but not a 4. I think I am going to go with shortening the drive shafts instead of going with the 4-speed shafts. Opinions?

the only difference in the park brake would be the length of the pull cable, and there may be enough stretch in you existing to work with the 4 speed.
do you have a 4 speed bellhousing?
what transfer case? flanges may be different
I can't say I've ever had an issue with the stock pilot bearing, the only time that bearing rotates is when your foot is on the clutch pedal, I've gone well past 100,000 miles on a clutch with no issues

the only difference in the park brake would be the length of the pull cable, and there may be enough stretch in you existing to work with the 4 speed.
do you have a 4 speed bellhousing?
what transfer case? flanges may be different
I can't say I've ever had an issue with the stock pilot bearing, the only time that bearing rotates is when your foot is on the clutch pedal, I've gone well past 100,000 miles on a clutch with no issues
Thanks. I do have a 4 speed bell housing. I have a 3 speed transfer case off of a '73 in good shape. I have the appropriate parts for the procedure. I just don't have the 4 speed e-brake and I want to use my existing drive shafts and have them shortened. I also have a 4-speed e brake cable that came with my 4-speed/tc.

The difference in the 3 - 4 speed e brake is just the drive shaft yoke bolt pattern. So if you are going to use your 3 speed drive shafts you should be good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom