3 speed throw out bearing replacement - need info ASAP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Mud,

doing the clutch on a 3 speed. Is there a trick to removing the old throwout bearing and replacing? Do I need to have it pressed or is there a trick to it.
Thanks in advance

I think your talking about the pilot bearing. It is pressed in, but not excessivly tight. I just used a wooden dowel the same size to tap it in. As for removing it I made a hook to ease it out. You might find a tool at your local parts supply CO or make something yourself, either way if your in there you should replace it.

I don't know if it's right , but I just use some careful persuasion, to get the bearing off the collar.

On my '78 w/4-spd, I was able to tap the collar off the bearing without dinging the collar. I used my bench vise to "press" the new one on.
I have a slide-hammer adapter to yank the pilot bearing, but there may be another way. If you solidly pack the pilot with grease, and use a shaft that fits closely to the ID of the pilot bearing, hard hammer shots to the shaft will usually hydraulically force the pilot out.

Search for "bread trick" if you want to remove the pilot bearing. To remove the throwout bearing, I'd just pull it off the input shaft by grabbing it with my hand and pulling.

Search for "bread trick" if you want to remove the pilot bearing. To remove the throwout bearing, I'd just pull it off the input shaft by grabbing it with my hand and pulling.

When I remove the trans the bearing/collar & fork seem to stay inside the bell housing. Then I remove the clips that hold the bearing/collar to the fork. Then remove the bearing from the collar & replace. It's a tight fit but not a press fit. You can heat the new bearing up & then install the bearing easily onto the collar.

Thanks for the suggestions, I ended up placing collar onto a couple of wooden blocks and then using a piece of steel to tap the bearing off with a BFH. (a landcrusher909 trick).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom