Wanted 3 spEed tcase input gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for an input gear from a three speed tcase for my fj40. Going to try out an sm420 and a 4 speed tcase. Anyo ne got one laying around. :beer:

If your going to try and put a 29 tooth and ten spline gear into a four speed transfer case that needs a 31 tooth gear your going to have problems. SOR sells or at least they did a gear to use a three speed transmission with a four tranfer case. This set was used in other markets after we got the four speed, the reason they have it. If you could get the correct part number and Cdan might be able to get it for you.

If your going to try and put a 29 tooth and ten spline gear into a four speed transfer case that needs a 31 tooth gear your going to have problems. SOR sells or at least they did a gear to use a three speed transmission with a four tranfer case. This set was used in other markets after we got the four speed, the reason they have it. If you could get the correct part number and Cdan might be able to get it for you.

LITP is partially correct. There is a special non-US input gear for that application.

BUT, I doubt CDan can get it.

I know that I have ONE in my display case at the shop. You are welcome to CALL me to follow up if you are interested. Please do NOT PM me.

Best

Mark A.

LITP is partially correct. There is a special non-US input gear for that application.

I know that I have ONE in my display case at the shop. You are welcome to CALL me to follow up if you are interested. Please do NOT PM me.

Best

Mark A.

Display cAse. Sounds expensive. I'll call

Curious mark why you don't think a Toyota couldn't get the gear if they have the right part number? Not to long ago Camelback Toyota got me the 70 series long splined axle for a rear full floater. I've gotten parts for non-USA models fom Cdan in the past with no problem. Most the time it's just a mather of having the correct part number. Since most my cruisers were made before 3/69 it's something I've had to do for many years, give the dealer the part number.

Curious mark why you don't think a Toyota couldn't get the gear if they have the right part number? Not to long ago Camelback Toyota got me the 70 series long splined axle for a rear full floater. I've gotten parts for non-USA models fom Cdan in the past with no problem. Most the time it's just a mather of having the correct part number. Since most my cruisers were made before 3/69 it's something I've had to do for many years, give the dealer the part number.

I heard directly from Onur, CDan's right hand man, while I was visiting in Albuqureque two months ago that Toyota had changed their policy regarding bringing in parts that weren't originally offered here.

TMS USA has made it much more difficult to obtain non-import parts. It used to be all you had to do was posess a live part number and you could off-line order it. Some non-import parts that have already been added to the US master file can still be obtained. It is virtually impossible to get them to load new numbers unless the requesting dealer produces a VIN, Japan Model Code and production date for the non-resident visiting or US licensed and plated non-import vehicle.

At one time I could easily get the offset rear license plate mount and lamp for the 80 Series. I sold several of them a few years ago. I tried to get another a few months ago and TMS refused to place the order for the lamp portion of it because the lamp was not DOT certified. I could, however, get the bracket......... I even sent them a photo of the back of my vehicle with it's mount and valid New Mexio plate and they said "Sorry, that vehicle was not orginally equipped".

:rolleyes:

It appears that some of the Canadian mine truck part numbers are live and can be obtained. I wish I had the books.

Last edited:
But wasn't this gear available here, in the US, in '74 FJ40's? IIRC the 4sp was offered with a 3sp t-case while transitioning to the 4sp t-case. I know I had at least one from a stock USA vehicle in the past that I used to convert a 3sp truck to a 4sp truck using the original 3sp t-case. Might have one now but have not pulled apart the trans/t-case from my current '74 project. So I think CDan might have a chance at that one...if no one else has one used.

Nick

But wasn't this gear available here, in the US, in '74 FJ40's? IIRC the 4sp was offered with a 3sp t-case while transitioning to the 4sp t-case. I know I had at least one from a stock USA vehicle in the past that I used to convert a 3sp truck to a 4sp truck using the original 3sp t-case. Might have one now but have not pulled apart the trans/t-case from my current '74 project. So I think CDan might have a chance at that one...if no one else has one used.

Nick

Yes I have found one. Ebi still makes them and marks off road had one that I bought.

Nick

Nick, the one you are thinking of has a 16 spline input; he's looking for a wide gear with 10 spline.;)

I heard directly from Onur, CDan's right hand man, while I was visiting in Albuqureque two months ago that Toyota had changed their policy regarding bringing in parts that weren't originally offered here.

TMS USA has made it much more difficult to obtain non-import parts. It used to be all you had to do was posess a live part number and you could off-line order it. Some non-import parts that have already been added to the US master file can still be obtained. It is virtually impossible to get them to load new numbers unless the requesting dealer produces a VIN, Japan Model Code and production date for the non-resident visiting or US licensed and plated non-import vehicle.

At one time I could easily get the offset rear license plate mount and lamp for the 80 Series. I sold several of them a few years ago. I tried to get another a few months ago and TMS refused to place the order for the lamp portion of it because the lamp was not DOT certified. I could, however, get the bracket......... I even sent them a photo of the back of my vehicle with it's mount and valid New Mexio plate and they said "Sorry, that vehicle was not orginally equipped".

:rolleyes:

It appears that some of the Canadian mine truck part numbers are live and can be obtained. I wish I had the books.

Very interesting.:hmm: I know The H55Fs are or were being sold thru US dealers. Are they still available and if they are can you get replacement parts for them. A transmission that was never imported to the US correct? If you could get a license plate bracket but the lamp that wasn't DOT certified. Wouldn't a gear fall into the list of parts that don't need to be DOT cerified? But by reading your statement any vehicle legally imported here from another market and it licensed for the road you can request parts for it?

How long has this been going on? Was I just lucky to get the long splined locker axle for my FJ40 full floater. Are parts for the pre FZJ80 full floater axles no longer going to be available thru the dealers?

Very interesting.:hmm: I know The H55Fs are or were being sold thru US dealers. Are they still available and if they are can you get replacement parts for them. A transmission that was never imported to the US correct?

The H55 is still available for order in the US, even though it was never sold in a new vehicle in this market. This is one of the "grand fathers". Some replacement parts can be obtained, some are discontinued.

If you could get a license plate bracket but the lamp that wasn't DOT certified. Wouldn't a gear fall into the list of parts that don't need to be DOT cerified?

Presumably the gear would not require certification. I do not know the full extent of DOT certification. I do know it includes lighting, glass, occupant restraints, fuel systems and, I believe, crash-worthiness.

How long has this been going on?

For as long as I can remember, at least 30 years. It has become strictly reinforced now by the bean counters because of our litigious society.

Imagine that TMS USA imports and sells a sub fuel tank for an Australian 80. Said tank is retrofitted into a US-spec vehicle by "someone". Said vehicle is subsequently involved in a collision and the sub fails and the vehicle burns to the ground.

Enter a Shark and TMS gets it's ass sued for selling a product that was not certified for the US market.

by reading your statement any vehicle legally imported here from another market and it <is> licensed for the road you can request parts for it?

Correct, we can request assistance. The older the vehicle the more items will be discontinued. Off-Line orders can take up to 16 weeks to process, are non-cancelable once ordered and are not even close to being warranted or returnable for any reason.

. Are parts for the pre FZJ80 full floater axles no longer going to be available thru the dealers?

I believe this would be dependent on remaining stock.

D-

Any time.

:hmm:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom