3-speed TC High Gear Bushing - Done for? Need opinions! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RWBeringer4x4

Mechanically Challenged
SILVER Star
Threads
Hey all,

I’m in the process of rebuilding a H41 transmission mated to a 3-speed transfer case. I’ve rebuilt a 4 speed case before, where there are still hone-able gear bushing available, but my understanding is the thicker 3-speed bushings are no longer available.

This could be a problem as this is my EDIT: high range (smaller) gear:

384CE632-BF5B-4C91-8F79-D9EBD57C310D.jpeg

I’m guessing this is probably too far gone to run. There’s a bit of play between the gear and the shaft as well.

The larger EDIT: low speed gear seems ok, although theres a substantial wear pattern on the rivets:

5DAF7B77-966F-47CC-9738-C6A255FF5753.jpeg

Similar story on the input shaft:

F556098F-0609-468C-80BD-E775BF709831.jpeg

Input shafts are still available, though this one could potentially clean up - but if the thicker bronze gear bushing supply has dried up, are there any options to salvaging this case beyond finding another gear with a good bushing? If not, does it make more sense to swap the gears, and risk gear whine, or to press out and swap the bushings?

Last edited:
I don’t know that you can tell by just looking at it. It looks like it just has some discoloration. I would measure it with a micrometer to see what the clearance actually is. If need be, you could have it knurled, but that won’t last as long as a new bushing. Used gears should not be hard to come by. If it is popping out of gear, the clutch sleeve may be worn and I think they are still available. Eat some Utz chips with a natty boh for me as an ex Baltimoron.

The larger gear is the low speed gear.

Try swapping the less worn low speed gear on to the high speed gear side of the output shaft to get an idea of how serious the galling on that side of the shaft is.

Last edited:
I don’t know that you can tell by just looking at it. It looks like it just has some discoloration. I would measure it with a micrometer to see what the clearance actually is. If need be, you could have it knurled, but that won’t last as long as a new bushing. Used gears should not be hard to come by. If it is popping out of gear, the clutch sleeve may be worn and I think they are still available. Eat some Utz chips with a natty boh for me as an ex Baltimoron.

Didn’t some Russian conglomerate buy Natty Boh? Sad day for Baltimore...

Also, the clutch sleeve had some slight wear on the teeth but is really in very good shape - no sign of damage. I’ve not run this case but my understanding is that it was rebuilt about 10 years ago, and worked fine when it was pulled, no mention of popping out of gear.

The larger gear is the low speed gear.

You know, I thought so and that makes infinitely more sense but I second guessed myself... shouldn’t the high speed bushing typically be less worn, given that that gear is engaged 99% of the time (truck in high range) so the bushing isn’t spinning (it’s spinning with the shaft, the shaft isn’t spinning in it)?

I guess if it was rebuilt the bushings could have been swapped too...

Try swapping the less worn low speed gear on to the high speed gear side of the output shaft to get an idea of how serious the falling on that side of the shaft is.

Certainly - I don’t know that I have the tools to provide a meaningful measurement aside from that there is “some play” but I’ll see if “some play” becomes “less play” if I swap them.

Looking closely, the discoloration looks slightly pitted but it isn’t enough to catch a nail on. I tried scrubbing at it a bit but haven’t done anything aggressive enough to remove material yet...

Last edited:
By the way any thoughts on the wear on those rivets? That has me stumped...I can see the clutch sleeve riding there but there’s no sign of wear on the outside of the clutch sleeve...

I thought that Natty was owned by Pabst. Natty Premium was OK too, especially with steamed crabs.

If there is no corresponding wear on the clutch sleeve, it must have happened during machining of the gear.

Alright I swapped the gears around - there isn’t a discernible difference in the amount of play on one side of the shaft vs the other. Both gears have a bit of play on both sides of the shaft. The high speed gear might have a BIT more (by feel) but it’s not a ton looser than the low speed gear...it’s close enough that I might be imagining the difference but without a micrometer and a bore gauge I’m not sure how much more I can tell.

With a set of calipers (that are only good to 0.01mm) the shaft is measuring out to 38.88-38.9 and the bushings are measuring to about 38.9-38.93. Doesn’t really tell me much - suggests the clearance would be as large as 0.05 but I’d be willing to bet it’s less...

Based on your measurements, it is about .001 to .0018 inch, so that sounds good to me. You shouldn’t be able to feel much if any wobble of the gear on the shaft.
I would say if the measurements are correct, run it.

Based on your measurements, it is about .001 to .0018 inch, so that sounds good to me. You shouldn’t be able to feel much if any wobble of the gear on the shaft.
I would say if the measurements are correct, run it.

So would you worry if the discoloration was indeed more than that. If you look closely there’s what appears to be some pitting - nothing I can actually feel or catch a finger nail on but there’s a definite “rough” look to the discolored areas...

No, unless there is some evidence that there is something wrong with the operation of the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom