3 Speed TC & 4 Speed Tranny (late 74') (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked up a 74' FJ40 for parts and it has a pre 79' 2F, a transplant I believe.

My nephew is using the engine, TC & Tranny for an FJ40 project. A new Cruiser Head! :)

It has a 4 speed Tranny with the PTO on it.

I have looked thru the FAQs but don't know anything about these 4 speed trannys.

Are they they the same as the FJ60 4 speed trannys but with the PTO?

I doesn't have the data plate or a title so only know its a 74'.

I'm guessing a late 74'.

Any information about these TC & Tranny or links would be a big help.

Cheers, Allen

Per the title of the post are you considering marrying an early transfer case off of a 3 speed tranny to a later 4 speed transmission?

I used this setup in my rig primarily because I had a 3 speed transfer case in good condition.
An adapter kit is available that consists of a replacement gear for the output shaft of the transmission, spacer bushing & bearing, about $150.

Swapping out the gear is not a big deal.
The more difficult issue is that the bolt centers on the drive shaft flanges are different.
You will need to mix & match drive shaft & parking brake components, fine spline/coarse spline or make adapters on the drive shafts front & rear.

What you get is a ridiculously low - low range that is probably great for off road driving.
In 1st gear low range I can get out and walk along side the truck & climb a steep hill without touching the gas pedal.
Top comfortable speed on the highway though is about 55 - 60.

Are they they the same as the FJ60 4 speed trannys but with the PTO?

The 60 series started production 8/80. That is when the real change was in the T/T with the split transfer case. That would have been hard to switch to a early transfer case. It would of also had a PTO you could have probably traded someone for a pre 8/80 transmission and transfer case. The split transfer case PTO is pretty rare in the US. Top gear on both three and four speed is one to one so no top end different in either. If this 74 had disc brakes on the front axle it might have the 79 axle. Disc up grade is nice but in 79 the gears went from 4.10 to 3.70. My 68 has a four speed with the lower three speed transfer case with the stock 4.10 diffs. I have stock 79 with the 3.70 gears. The 79 is much better on the pavement but with the stock higher low range transfer case and 3.70s it doesn't compare to the 68 off road. Even with the lower transfer case gears with the 3.70s I would still notice a difference. I bought this 79 from a friend. I was with him when he bought and test drove. I remember switching to low range and then double checking to make sure I had gotten into low range. The difference was that much compared to the 68.

The date code is stamped on the pad on the side of the t-case.

The H42 4-speed stays prettty much the same through it's 74-87 run. The only significant difference is the change from 16 to 19spline output in 1981.

The PTO box is an accessory that bolts to the T-case (most common) or transmission. Doesn't matter if it is in a 40, 55,60, 70....

LITP, 37/9=4.1111... Just sayin :p

61 to mid 63 was one bolt pattern on transfer case mounted PTO. Mid 63 to 8/80 second transfer case mounted PTO. 8/80 to end of the 90 model was another bolt pattern. Model didn't matter but which transfer case did. After the end of the 90 model (FJ62) the 80 series started and in the US with the full time 4WD it could no longer use a transfer case mounted PTO.

Was nineteen spline transmission the same bolt pattern as the sixteen spline? From my understanding you have to match the transmission and transfer based on the spline count. Nineteen spline = split case, sixteen spline = one piece case. I believe gearing was the same on all H42s but needed the right transfer case depending on spline count.

Last edited:
The Late '74 transfer case is sometimes called the "Transition T/C". Looks just like a 3-speed T/C, and the 3-speed rebuild kit works in it, but it has some different gears. Some people like to take the gears out of a 3-speed T/C and put them into the '74 T/C for a slightly better crawl ratio.

Best we can tell is the TC & Tranny are original.

So the Tranny is an H42, correct? Just with the PTO opening/cover on the side.

The TC has 3 J C 10560 stamped on it.
The 5 is stamped real light & the 6 is deeper and almost overlapping the 5.

It has drum front brakes & fine spline inner axles (27 spline?) I didn't count them and course spline outers.

It had Warn hubs. He's going to get some Asian hubs.

Did the late year 40 have the F is 2F originally?
I was guessing the 2F that it has is a transplant.

Allen

The 3 J in the t-case code is 1973 October.

If the transmission has a PTO cover on the side, it is 3/76 or earlier.

2F starts in 1/75. The casting date is on the top of the cylinder head and on the left side of the engine block, toward the rear.

The late '74 would originally have the Late F engine (F1.5 some say) until 12/'74. 2F started in 1/'75

Did the late year 40 have the F is 2F originally?

........ Some people like to take the gears out of a 3-speed T/C and put them into the '74 T/C for a slightly better crawl ratio.

Just on this, does anyone know of a post about the gear swap? Do I just swap the output gears, or the idler and input as well?
Looking at putting 73 gears into a 77 T.case.

Advance Adaptors used to sell a transition gear (if memory serves me right) and a kit. They had a bit of a write up on the procedure... Unless it was @Downey

Matt, there are 3 input gears: early 10spl, early 16spl, late 16spline.

Use the the 77 case housing, 74-mid75 16spline input gear, with the E-73 idler gear & output gears. None of the later 76-80 gears are compatible with the early gears, tooth profile is very different.

Matt, there are 3 input gears: early 10spl, early 16spl, late 16spline.

Use the the 77 case housing, 74-mid75 16spline input gear, with the E-73 idler gear & output gears. None of the later 76-80 gears are compatible with the early gears, tooth profile is very different.

There is also a early 16 spline for markets that got a three speed after most market had switch a four. SOR used to sell it and still may.

Seems I read if you installed earlier narrower gears into a later case the idler gear required shims. Does this sound right?

The early 16spl gear will slide onto all 74-80 H4x tranny. The tooth count works with 3spd 2.3 t-case gears, or the74-75 4spd 2.0 t-case.

That is the special transition gear that allows mating a 4spd to a case or gearset that was originally behind a J30.

There is another gear available for J30 tranny that adapts to split case. That's the one for poverty markets that were still getting 3spd tranny &gas engine in the 1980s.

Yes, it is usually necessary to double up on one of the thrust washers for J30 gearset in a 76-80 case.

Is it really worth changing over to the 77 housing? Over just replacing the input gear with a 16 spline, and the input bearing?

There is another gear available for J30 tranny that adapts to split case. That's the one for poverty markets that were still getting 3spd tranny &gas engine in the 1980s.

Is the bolt pattern on the split transfer case the same as the that of one piece case? Since removing the back of the split case was required thought the bolt pattern different? I know the pitch on the bolts changed from the three to four speed one piece case but they share the same pattern. Would be nice if pulling the PTO/PTO cover off and get to the bolts inside would make it nice to pull the T case off in one piece while still in the vehicle.

Jake, thats one of the weird gears for poverty special 76-80 FJ40.

LITP, the one piece case bolts to a bearing retainer/adapter plate on the back of the transmission. The split case improved that design by incorporating the bearing retainer function in the front face of the case & eliminating an adapter. I have not torn down a 3spd/split combo, only seen it in pics, so don't know if there is an adapter or ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom