3-speed motor brackets won't work on 4-speed bellhousing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm stumped. Can anyone confirm this is a 2F / 4speed bellhousing? If so, I'm going to have to assume there are variations out there (FJ60?) because my 3speed motor mount brackets aren't going to work. A friend of mine picked up a 4speed transmission, this bellhousing, and all of the other parts needed for a transmission swap from Proffitt's a couple of years ago. He ended up not being able to use them, so we're trying to use them on my 72' FJ40 (which already has a 2F) but just hit this unexpected snag.

bellhousing_1.jpg
bellhousing_2.jpg
bellhousing_3.jpg

Yes. From all the diagrams and pictures I've looked at, the same brackets should work on both bellhousings. But not on this bellhousing.

you have a 4 speed bellhousing from an 81-84 2F which used the transfer crossmember not bellhousing mounts, either find the correct bellhousing or drill and tap the holes for the mounts

Thank you!

There's a second issue I forgot to mention. The clutch fork can only go through the passenger side of this housing, and my slave cylinder is definitely not on the passenger side. I'm not sure if that's worth trying to deal with.

The earlier 4-speed bellhousings came with window openings on Both sides (driver and passenger) for any clutch fork configuration you wanted. Might be easier finding an earlier one so you can drop it in and bolt it right up. Otherwise, you'll have to cut a hole on the driver's side of the bellhousing or decide to relocate your clutch fork and slave cylinder to the passenger's side of the Fj40.

That's my feeling. I have the tools to machine the window in, but I really don't want to.

That's my feeling. I have the tools to machine the window in, but I really don't want to.

Might post your location. Possibly might find someone willing to trade. Really not hard to use a 74-7/80 four speed on the 8/80-4/85 bellhousing in the US market. I know a number of members are going to later split transfer case. If they plan on using the 8/80 crossmember be willing to trade. Biggest issue is dealing with freight of a heavy item.

Also finding an earlier 4-speed bellhousing, you can use the existing 3-speed bellhousing mounts on your Fj40. no need to drill extra holes or cutting out a window for the clutch arm.

Whichever is easiest. Working with what you have or locating another bellhousing.:hmm:

There's a second issue I forgot to mention. The clutch fork can only go through the passenger side of this housing, and my slave cylinder is definitely not on the passenger side. I'm not sure if that's worth trying to deal with.

When I put a '77 bellhousing in a '65 FJ45 that had a driver's side clutch fork, I just bought a section of prefab brake line and made a new steel clutch line that went along the firewall and dropped down to the passenger's side. Very easy and looked pretty close to stock.

When I put a '77 bellhousing in a '65 FJ45 that had a driver's side clutch fork, I just bought a section of prefab brake line and made a new steel clutch line that went along the firewall and dropped down to the passenger's side. Very easy and looked pretty close to stock.

Believe the reason for the driver's side clutch slave cylinder on early models is the passenger's side the transfer case high low shift linkage pivoted off the motor mount where the slave cylinder would be. The right side is the preferred side since it the opposite side of the exhaust on an FJ40. If still the dash mounted high low shifter probably want to keep the slave cylinder on the left side. As long as you do not have the dash mounted high low transfer case shifter should have no problem switching sides.

Might post your location. Possibly might find someone willing to trade.
I'm in the Salt Lake City - Utah area, and a trade would be perfect for me.
Also finding an earlier 4-speed bellhousing, you can use the existing 3-speed bellhousing mounts on your Fj40. no need to drill extra holes or cutting out a window for the clutch arm.
I like this option the best.
This would be my second choice, and I'm already set up for making new lines if I end up going this route.

I assume you are no longer running the dash mounted transfer case controls? Or are you modifying the high low shifter location?Clutch slave cylinder to work right can only go in one location.

All that crap is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom