3 Spd to 4 Spd trans swap questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Threads
Just to make sure i got all the parts i need. I am putting the gears from a 3 speed into an 79 4 speed transfer. All i need to get for it special are the 3 speed idler washers and the 3 speed spacers right. That is what i found in here so far.

Thanks much ya'll.

Sorry, the 79 4 speed tranny. The main reason i am doing this is because i got the 79 combo for 40 bucks and i went thru the tranny and it was good, just needed new bearings but the transfer was another thing. The transfer had alot of silver in it when i started taking it apart and i figured out why real fast. The high speed gear and low speed gears both had spun on the brass bushing and both had parts of teeth missing from them. My local stealership said about 800-900 out the door for all. I have the transfer that is on it right now that i can use the guts from. It is the 3 speed, behind a 3 speed tranny. All of this is going on my 64 fj45.

You will definitely require the transition output gear since the 4 speed gear won't mesh with the 3 speed transfer and I think you need the special bearing too (not sure with the newer case). You'll need the linkages from the 4 speed and you may need some spacers as well.

I think you'd be better off bolting the 3spd case complete to the 4spd.

Look in Tech for what you need.

Ya , I'm stupid, did not even think about the transition gear so i can bolt back up to the 4 speed tranny, is there someone out there that sells it as a kit or has some #'s. Boy do i feel stupid, was trying to do this easy and cheap, but right. Not really looking for the low range, just had the 3 speed and thought it would be easier to just swap it in.Thanks ya'll.

Man-a-fre and Specter also sell the gear kit. I just sold my kit that has been sitting around collecting dust for 75 bucks a couple weeks ago ;p

call mark he has the kit as well. marksoffroad.net

Thanks for all of the replies ya'll , but now i am thinking about just trying to find another 4 speed. Just pulled the 3 speed transfer apart and there was a bunch of water in her, along with a bunch of rust. Go figure. I think i have found a rebuildable 4 speed here in NC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom