3 spd t-case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
::)68 3 spd t-case, are they a weak link or not? I'm also looking for the low range ratio of this t-case.

the case material is more brittle than other years, so yes it is not one of the stronger models. low range is 2.313.

If you aren't running a warmed smallblock V8, you likely won't have a problem....IMO, run a Dan Amway t-case saver - I bought mine from him on E-Bay.

Thanks for the infomation. This Dan Amway t-casse saver is there a web pape or # to contate for more imfo. I have run toy mini trucks all my life, and picked up a 68 fj-40 to restore. I'm just checking out oppions.L/C parts are hard to come by in norther alberta canada.

When I installed a 3-spd xfer case in my Cruiser (behind a Chevy 5.7L Vortec and SM465), I put the 3-spd internals into my 1977 4-spd xfer case housing. It's a stronger housing than the 1969 3-spd housing. I also added a stiffener that I got from Don Anway.

Ed Gilbert - TLCA #5659 ::)

When I installed a 3-spd xfer case in my Cruiser (behind a Chevy 5.7L Vortec and SM465), I put the 3-spd internals into my 1977 4-spd xfer case housing.  It's a stronger housing than the 1969 3-spd housing.  I also added a stiffener that I got from Don Anway.

Ed Gilbert - TLCA #5659  ::)

if you do that, you still have the ten spline input gear and can use an adapter meant for a three speed case, right?

i wanted to do this, how hard is it?

Max, you can't hardly tell the difference between a 3-speed and 4-speed case...they bolt up identically, and most parts interchange.

You pretty much rebuild a 4-speed case using 3-speed gears and a wider shim for the idler cluster. Cory has done it - piece of cake.

awww crap! I have the rebuild kit for the three speed! :mad:

i will think about it, maybe my 4-speed case wont need a rebuild.

(the reason i am putting in a three speed is because that is the adapter the guy had...otherwise i would have used my 4speed case) maybe i can put the three speed gears in there (and bearings) and have the best of both worlds!

nebody know if the bearings will work?

same bearings - no difference that I'm aware of...well....mostly...the support bearing for the tranny output might be different, but talk nice and I can looksee if I have one laying around....

heh heh...it will be obvious what bearings aren't the same when you start to rebuild it... :D

I'm about to start my t-case tare down. The driven gear in the pto is pretty beat up any takers on replacment parts? Also any ideas on arebuild manual for the t0-case? I have a GRB np203 for the front of the 3spd case will it be strong enouph?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom