3 spd bellhousing or 4spd bellhousing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it looks like both bellhousing fit an F engine. I will be putting a 4spd transmission behind an F engine in a 1974 landcruiser.

Which bellhousing do i use?

Also, which clutch kit do i use, 3spd or 4spd?

4 spd bellhousing will be required and personally I'd stick with clutch kit to match the trans.

it looks like both bellhousing fit an F engine. I will be putting a 4spd transmission behind an F engine in a 1974 landcruiser.

Which bellhousing do i use?

Also, which clutch kit do i use, 3spd or 4spd?

You want to match the bellhousing to transmission. With the clutch, all of the components need to match including the flywheel. So the F flywheel and all clutch components or all 2F and 2F flywheel. Personally, I’ll try to use the latest parts that fit so you don’t have to worry about parts availability.

awesome thanks guys! narrowing down my clutch kit purchase.

And the little springy gizmos what hold the throw out bearing holder to the clutch fork...

If the clutch and its components are recent/good and the clutch take up is smooth, I'd probably just keep it. the parts swap into the 4spd bellhousing just fine. The heavy old style flywheel is good for inertia. But if you need a new clutch kit anyways and need to send flywheel for machining then switching to the diaphragm style newer clutch makes some sense.

I'm not real familiar with the 3speed but no one has mentioned the spline of the input. Isn't the 4 speed fine? Is the '74 3 speed input fine also?

That's a deal breaker putting it in at the last minute if you don't check.

I'm not real familiar with the 3speed but no one has mentioned the spline of the input. Isn't the 4 speed fine? Is the '74 3 speed input fine also?

That's a deal breaker putting it in at the last minute if you don't check.
All F/2F/3F used the same style input on the transmission. So can switch around clutches as long as it all matches. Multiple input shafts on different transmissions but clutch would work on all of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom