3-point Seatbelt Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
After reading nearly every seatbelt upgrade thread I could find here, I'm trying to install my surplus HUMVEE seatbelts. The discussion somewhere here about the potential safety problems of mounting seatbelts to the seat frame has me looking for alternate spots to mount everything. Ideally, the ends of the seatbelts should mount to the truck—not the frame of the seat.

Any suggestions on these mounting spots? The big bolt for the rear heater just barely allows the female end to reach the seat, but it seems to work fine. Large bolt, room for a big washer to cover the loop of the seatbelt base, and I could reinforce with a strap from underneath the truck to spread out the force if I really wanted to.

For the outer end of the belt, there isn't really anywhere else to mount the belt other than the original location on the seat frame. It's not ideal, but I'm worried about the belt being long enough if I mount it all the way to a new hole in the floor.

For the retractor end, I'm going to be making a mount that ties into the roll bar mounting bolt and one of the captive nuts at the top of the tub. Test fitting, it seems like this will put it directly below the top triangle mount (no pic) that I have attached to the bottom bolt on the junction of the stock roll bar.

1.jpg
2.jpg

I am also looking to add these seat belts. I would love to know where people recommend anchoring the female receiver.

Thanks

I am not sure about that heater bolt for a seat belt anchor. That bolt and that area were not designed for the kind of forces developed in an accident. I would trust the stock location more as they are designed for it and use a much larger fine threaded bolt at the seat.

The bolt holding the seat base to the lower seat frame is pretty burly, but the bolts holding the lower frame to the tub are truly nothing special and smaller than the heater bolts.

The only thing they have for reinforcement, other than a captive nut welded to the underside of the tub, is a small plate underneath to spread the force out a bit. That could easily be added to the underside of those heater bolts.

My main concern is that it seems the seatbelts should ideally be separate from the seat frame. I’m not really trying to make this thing safe, just safer. If in an accident, If the seatbelts are mounted independently from the seats, the relatively flimsy seat mounting system might fail and the driver and passenger would still be held inside by the belts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom