3 Hour Lightly Modded 100 Series Towing Review - Fellow Mud Member Plug Also (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ladies and Gents - I thought I would post a quick "review" of the 100 towing as I have seen some people for and against it on the forums. I had a 3 hour tow ahead of me today and with my truck being down I ended up having to use the cruiser. Big thanks to fellow mud member Manny @Mdej3 at Tampa Cruisers for the help getting the old car ready to pull and make the trip AND the amazing paint work he did on the car being pulled. If you need ANY body shop or paint work in the southeast his team is worth every penny. That being said here is the details:

07 LC100 368k original motor and transmission
2 inch dobinson lift
TJM Front bumper
285/75/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on stock wheels
open car trailer with single axel brakes
Adjustable hitch

She pulled really well and was extremely stable, I was a bit concerned at the shorter wheelbase over a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck but ultimately she did good. I think the saving grace was having the trailer leveled out and the weight distributed well. Engine temp stayed right in the middle and I kept it in "4" rather than D to keep it from shifting into 5th. Granted I am in Florida so it is all flat land so the mountains might be a YMMV situation. If I was going to do this frequently I would put airbags in the back to level her out.

IMG_4382.jpg

IMG_4379.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

Glad to hear the tow went well. How about more pics of the Bronco ?

(That explains @Mdej3 ’s beautiful paint job)

Glad to hear the tow went well. How about more pics of the Bronco ?
Yessir! Saw some angst from others about towing with the hundy. Not that I will do it again(truck for that) but I would if I had to so that’s why I posted!

Will post some pics of the bronco for sure.

I towed a LOT with my former 2000 Tundra 4x2. It was no speed demon but got the job done if you had some degree of mechanical sympathy. I'm sure it held the power to weight advantage over my '07 100 but the heavy and overbuilt LC feels a lot more stable and solid while towing.
2C141EAF-4390-44DE-ABC3-F368BE9234A3.jpeg

0C3DC3DD-AB30-4F7D-9794-BF5E6DF0BB3B.jpeg

DB96685A-3E24-455E-AC74-8B15CA58684E.jpeg

E210D40F-9670-49F8-BA21-7C153F42F02F.jpeg

tempImageE809WX.png

It helps that I have a background in vintage VW's, just like LC's they are not the vehicle to drive if you're in a rush.

I'm sure the 5 speed helps... my 99 with the 4 speed could hardly get itself over a pass, towing it would have been painful.

But for flat, pretty much anything goes as long as you are gentle

I towed a LOT with my former 2000 Tundra 4x2. It was no speed demon but got the job done if you had some degree of mechanical sympathy. I'm sure it held the power to weight advantage over my '07 100 but the heavy and overbuilt LC feels a lot more stable and solid while towing.

It helps that I have a background in vintage VW's, just like LC's they are not the vehicle to drive if you're in a rush.
Dang, you have had some VW's. LC got me there and back very comfortably but towing in a rush has always resulted in a bad deal for me. probably wasted a bit of time not "hurrying" but it's hard to correct when something goes wrong at 80 mph. 55 feels way better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom