#3 Gray 62 bodywork and paint (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kelly saad

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Here we go with vehicle # 3. This one has more rust that the last 2 vehicles, so it should be entertaining.

The project:
1. Disassemble vehicle, remove doors, tailgate and hatch.
2. Prep jambs.
3. Repair rust in rocker/lower fender.
4. Close all holes in rocker panels from trim, and fill holes in roof from roof rack holes.
5. Remove seam sealer in roof gutters, and windshield area, repair any rust, seal again.
6. New lower door skin replacement panels, Lower tailgate replacement panel. Sand blast remaining rust, seal bare metal with POR-15, new seam sealer.
7. New quarter panels and any rusted sections of inner fenders.
8. New cowl/lower windshield repair panels (3 sections) the entire lower windshield area. Lots of rust here.
9. Remove existing filler on passenger rear door and upper quarter panel from accident, repair poor, previous body work.
10. Paint jambs and install doors, hatch and tailgate.
11. Exterior paint, B/C, wet sand, and polish.

IMG_0440.jpg

All the lower doors look like this. An example of how the rust begins to grow in lower doors and cannot be stopped because it is inaccessible.

IMG_0460.jpg

New lower door skins will completely replace the old rusty areas, not patches, but a new skin from the body line down. You can see in these photos where the rust builds up, and you cannot access it until the skin is removed completely.

IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG

Sand blasting is the best way to remove rust and preserve the existing metal that is salvageable (IMO) and then it can be treated as new, clean metal afterwards. There are pits from rust, but no remaining rust after blasting. Shown here, the same door as the photos in the previous post. The corner will need to be cut out and replaced but the majority is good.

IMG_0928.JPG

Last edited:
The lower windshield rust shown here. It has rust all the way across, and I will replace the entire area with 3 patch panels.
This will be so much fun to repair. :zilla:

IMG_0442.jpg

Dude these are amazing to watch. I wish I could've gotten my 62 to you for work and paint. As it was I had to back burner a few other projects as well due to unforeseen circumstances. If I get my disability recalculated and get a big lump sum though, I REALLY want to bring my truck to you to get a vintage dark gray with 80's style Toyota stripes.

The roof was so bad. I have some roof rack holes to fill and there were many rock chips with rust, and rusty spots. The clear coat was gone and the base coat was deteriorating. I just sanded all the paint and primer off to bare metal. Everything is so much better in bare metal anyway. This was unplanned, and took a long time. That Toyota primer is so hard to remove. My sander is pretty sweet though.

IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0964.JPG

Passenger side quarter was obviously in a crash at some point. I had no idea it was all the way up the the window though!!:bang: No problem, I got this. New lower quarters and I will work out the rest of it.

IMG_0963.JPG

The drivers side door was bad. The front lower corner was packed full of old filler from very poor, previous body work. They basically sculpted the entire corner out of filler. Another great example of how NOT to do rust repair.

IMG_0960.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG

If that's the same #153 Warm Grey Poly as mine, and they're sticking with it, they're going to be really happy. The amount of fading in the original paint didn't really prepare me for how it looks fresh. Hopefully UV resistance has improved in clear coats along the way.

Hey Everyone! Kelly’s wife here. I just got an 80! A 1995. Check out my thread. I’m learning body work too!!!

Welcome Marilee, and congrats on the 80. :cheers:
I checked out your thread; looks like you're already ripping into it - that was fast !

If that's the same #153 Warm Grey Poly as mine, and they're sticking with it, they're going to be really happy. The amount of fading in the original paint didn't really prepare me for how it looks fresh. Hopefully UV resistance has improved in clear coats along the way.
That will be the same color as yours. These colors look so much better with modern paint. The clear is superior to 30+ yr old factory paint I would say for sure.

With the condition of the existing paint and the amount or dents and rust repair, I decided to take the whole exterior down to bare metal. I love everything bare metal. Start fresh and clean.

419258B2-F947-47E1-93D8-FB428E710D2C.jpeg
5F677FAE-26A9-4429-BCB2-2C49FFA940D2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom