3 bolt saginaw/hydro assist/ lock to lock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rounded up a 3 bolt saginaw steering box last night. Freebie

When I got back to the house, it is 2 1/2 turns lock to lock. Not the 4 1/2 that I have heard people talk about. I'm talking about 2 1/2 360 degree rotations of the input shaft.

Will this be too fast for my Cruiser with hydro-assist. I'm afraid the steering box will be going faster than the cylinder. I ordered a 2" cylinder with 8 inch stroke today.

Would I be better off getting another steering box? Or is anyone else using this set up.

J.R.

2 1/2 turns at 65mph sounds like suicide to me. great for off roadin

More Problems

Ordered my cylinder yesterday. It's huge and not what I was expecting. Now I got to send it back.

Nothing is going right with my hydro assist. Can anyone give me which one they ordered and how they got it mounted.

J.R.
MVC-005S.JPG

Whats it from? A camaro or something? I used one from a caprice which is 3.5 turn, works fine on the street. Not sure on the physics behind the cylinder matching the box myself.

Camaro

Yes it was from a Camaro.

That link does not tell me anything but size of cylinder and stroke. I've got one here. It's just too big.

I need one that I can put heim's on the ends. Does everyone else use heims or what.

J.R.

My friend did his hydraulic steering with a cross cylinder like you have, I sold him a 2" x 12", and it was long, so he put a sleeve on the rod to shorten it to about 9" I think. He loves it, but it had enough power to break all the studs on his dana 60 with crossover steering.
occasionaly surplus center sells steering cylinders, double rod with joints on the ends fairly cheap, they usually come out of fork lifts, www.surpluscenter.com
the double ended will mean equal steering both way's rather than fast and slow.

I just Checked, they have several that would work, the best one is $199, there is a $35 one that would work ok as a single rod cylinder.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom