1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 AM encounters ...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Jul 10, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

It was a hot day .. maybe 90 degrees. I worked nites yesterday, and so I awoke at 1800 hrs. Dicked around paying bills until 2200. Came home, watched Loathing in Vegas, and then the end of Troy. Boredom set in, so I laced up and headed out for a 5 mile run. I chose a circuit that combined narrow wooded trails, city streets and light industrial areas. I knew that a certail stretch would have some solvent abusing types probably sleeping in the treeline, but knew I could slip by unnoticed. In truth I didn't expect to encounter anyone on foot .. in my path.

I was wrong. On a section so dark that I quit running because the trail could not be seen anymore, I passed the first guy. Remember it's 0330. Native , 6'4" 200lbs..walking shorts, t,runners, and white tennis socks pulled right up ... the guy just didn't seem to belong there. In the darknes I greeted his silouette with a "Hey, how ya doing". To which he promptly answered as he passed, "fine thanks and you?". Is it bad trail ediquette to ask someone what the hell they're doing out at that hour? A half mile later I was approaching a rail crossing, and heard that tell tale sound of weight coming down on a metal plate of some sort. A minute later another guy is turning off the tracks and heading my way. White male , mid 20's hair like Peter Frampton. "Hey mannn" .."Hey.." .

I keep running because I need to get to the drug store to buy ... Advil. ;p And water .. I get there, greet the security guard who pops out to make his presence known to this bald guy in blue camo pants, grab my Advil and water and head out.

As I pass thru a light industrial section, some strange seagull decides that I'm some kind of threat or something and repeatedly divebombs me. He'd come in on a low approach at 1200, then let out a real solid screech, and then rise up above me in a stall .. directly above me. As though about to stall and fall atop me. Then he'd fly off and begin again...it wasn't until I passed him that he stopped and flew up to his perch and sat there intermittantly bitching at me.

I headed next to a coffee shop for a medium with a milk and honey .. and a raisin cinnamon bagel. Took a break as I walked thru the campus by my place. As I turned a corner, I stopped deliberately. In my foreground was a great photo I thought, so I stood there admiring the morning fog interlaced with the birch and evergreens...amber lights. I squinted, taking it all in before moving on. A second later I head a voice .. then again; a yell this time. Thirty seconds later a few bodies emerged along the opposite path.

As I neared my condo, a guy on a bike spun by me around the corner. I headed across the parking lot, while listening to what sounded like a few slams of a door or something down the street.

And here I was thinking I was the only nut that would be up and about between three and four .. silly me. :rolleyes:

TY - nocturnal

2. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Being a life long nite owl, it's been as if privy to some secret. The hustle and bustle of the waking world is dull in comparison, it's white noise and kinetic nature easily traded for the silence and dew. Similar to the blur of our everyday commute exchanged for the intriguing clarity one experiences when on foot amidst this same path ... the mind free of traffic's cacophony, and it's intrinsic blur which by it's very nature divorces us from the real action.

TY

4. 60wag

60wag SILVER Star

So have you started work on the novel yet? :)

5. swank60

swank60

Here's what I want to know: What's with you and the seagul populations in your area?

6. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:

hehehehe....

I think yer body clock and brain ain't on the same page T.......either that or yer overmedicating again.

7. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

So my dad was right?

He used to tell me (when I was young, stayed out real late, etc.)

(When he said not much good is happening after midnight)

I don't mean people like you who have a job that dictates it, but don't you find that much more riff-raff occurs at those hours?

8. Jman

Jman

Ty, didn't you know that only freaks go out at 3:00 a.m.? :rolleyes:

Back when I was a radio DJ and my show ended at 3:00 a.m., I used to walk home through a HUGE old cemetary. It's amazing what you see in a cemetary in an urban area at 3:00 a.m. :eek:

9. patride71

patride71

speaking of Jman's graveyard story....

back in my wasted youth, literally...

myself and some other "friends" had a game of touch football, played with a stuffed animal as the ball, in a graveyard, at 3-4am. this was in my "goth" phase :eek: , so most of the players were pale, dressed in black and smoking cigs while playing....

i am sure what Jman witnessed was worse, but couldn't have been any more surreal...

10. skyshark186

skyshark186

Media:
    I guess thats the perks of small town living. There are freaks.....dont get me wrong. Mostly meth heads. But when you spend the majority of the time in your house, or wheeling around blasting slightly confused varmints in headlights you dont notice many people. :D