3.9 Cummins 4 cyl. Turbo in a FJ60 ???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
:confused: Here's the plan....I purchased a 1980 FJ60 for $1200 bucks...totally restored the body and it looks great. One problem, the 2F engine is gutless and is not the greatest on fuel. I'm planning on putting a 3.0L 4 cyl. Cummins Turbo Diesel into my rig but am running into one snag. I plan on using a 5spd. out of a Dodge 3/4 ton as the trani but I cant use the Dodge transfercase as it drives forward off the wrong side and need an adapter to use the toyota transfer case on the dodge trani....
Does ANYONE know if this is possible????

Several people have put Cummins 4BT engines in their Cruisers. Use the search function to find the discussion threads.

M

Don't worry, it's been done. I have a 3.9L Cummins 4BT in my FJ60 using a NV4500 and an Advanced Adaptor mating the LC transfer case to the NV4500. Use that little "Search" feature at the top of the page.

If you want to see mine, type in "Fritota"

Good luck, it's a great conversion and if I can answer any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks a bunch!!! Me and the misses take regular trips to the Baja (yes to the very end of Baja) and we live in Canada. My goal is to build a rig that is kick ass in the rocks and sand but will still do 85 mph on the highway. Sounds like I'm on the right track.
Thanks again.

Bajaman I got your email and replied... A Dana 300 or NP241 from a 88-90 Dodge or 88 to 91 Chevy (I would avoid the Chevy version though) are all right hand drop but have a centered rear output. I use a Toyota Mini truck rear axle with a Tacoma 3rd member with the e locker. The axles and diff have actually held up great but the housing has not, I am on my second one but I built this housing much stronger and once I get a traction bar I should have no problem. The torque literally ripped the rear axle housing apart... :) Otherwise I have very happy with the conversion. I did either put a hairline crack in the head somewhere or perhaps a head gasket issue so I am currently low on power and high on smoke, related to me using ether most of the winter to start it I believe as 4BT's do not have glow plugs or a cold weather start system other than an automatic basic system built into the main fuel pump (that you do not need to wait for) that works to about 20 degrees farenheit.

Here is basically what I wrote... Best of luck... If you search there is also a buildup in the Hard Core section of the site.

Hey Todd, I did do the 3.9 liter. It has a chevy pattern off the rear so it
is very easy to adapt. I used a NV4500 and instead of using an adapter to a
Land Cruiser case (which would have worked great) I used a Dodge NP241 which
is the same is a Dana 300 adapter or Atlas or a million others. It turned
out very well. You need to be sprung over or at least 4-6" of lift to make
it fit in a 40 or 55, at least 4" to fit in a FJ60 (or FJ80 I suppose). It
was 100% worth it, it has gobs of torque like a 2F on steroids but feels
like a V8 on the highway. And it's diesel. Best, Andre

Thanks again, and sorry to hear about the troubles with your engine. I have a bad feeling about what you said of using either to start your Land Cruiser last winter.....It will more than likely be broken top rings on a few cyl's. I see this all the time and yell at my mechanics in the shop for using the stuff. (only as a last resort, try WD-40 first).
On the brighter side, I was on e-bay the other day and came across a guy selling brand new "inframe" kits for 3.9's for about $600 bucks. Not a bad deal for new sleeves, rods, pistons, gaskets, and rings. And only a weekend job to complete if that is the problem.
Thanks for all your help

im on the 4BT train as well. i finally got a hold of an engine and its at Proffits Cruisers now just waiting for my cruiser to get there.

Hey John, whats the latest with yours? Last time we talked you were having some minor troubles.
well i finally bought a truck, and lucky me it came with a 4BTA and i didnt know it till it showed up at jeremiahs. now let the fun begin.
cheers,
jared

AlaskanHerbs said:
im on the 4BT train as well. i finally got a hold of an engine and its at Proffits Cruisers now just waiting for my cruiser to get there.

Hey John, whats the latest with yours? Last time we talked you were having some minor troubles.
well i finally bought a truck, and lucky me it came with a 4BTA and i didnt know it till it showed up at jeremiahs. now let the fun begin.
cheers,
jared

Jared,
My 4BT 60 is running great! Since I am now sprung over, life is good. I blew out a set of Pro Comp shocks. Not sure what happened but they did not hold up. Now I have a set of Rancho RS9000's that are adjustable. I am running it at the #6 setting and it seems to hold the road nicely.

The only other problem I have had is that my starter seems to not work occassionally. Every once in awhile, I turn the key and the solenoid just "Clicks". It usually starts before the 10th turn but sometimes I have to get out and use a screw driver to cross the two leads on the back of the starter. Not a big deal really, but my wife is bitchin'. she has had to start once like this and she is still pissed about it!

I have already pulled the starter and had it checked and it checked fine. I have been told that it sounds like the brushes are going. I might have it rebuilt to see if it gets better.

Other than that, I have only had an alignment done and new 33X10.50 BFG AT's put on. I have driven it almost 10K miles in 4.5 months. I love the mileage, the power, and I am starting to love the sound of it! I also love the fact that sometimes when I start it up in a parking lot, people usually turn their heads. I also have had about a dozen guys come running up to me, asking me what the hell is under the hood. Love it!

The only thing left to do to mine is put a second tank in and plumb it for running on straight veggie oil (SVO). I was hoping to do it this summer but as summer is slipping away, it may have to be a few more months before I can get to it.

To all those pondering a diesel conversion, the 4BT is a good choice in my opinion. Good luck and may the diesel gods be with you! :)

Definately use the search function. Try "Diesels 101" or "Fritota" for your first tries.

:beer:

Well with everyones help I have it cased, and heres what I've come up with:
3.9 Cummins Turbo bolts easily up to an NV4500 and I just recieved an e-mail back from advanced adaptors and the adapter to use my stock Toyota transfer case is $650 bucks and is a fairly simple to attach. Drive shafts will more than likely have to be made.
Basically with the used engine I found, trani, adaptor, new clutch and preasure plate and drive shaft balancing. My project will run me approx. $5000.00.....not bad considering the Cummins is rated at 400,000 Km's between rebuilds (or 8000, to 10,000 hrs. use) .With the miles I put on it will pay for itself shortly in fuel savings alone.

bajaman said:
Well with everyones help I have it cased, and heres what I've come up with:
3.9 Cummins Turbo bolts easily up to an NV4500 and I just recieved an e-mail back from advanced adaptors and the adapter to use my stock Toyota transfer case is $650 bucks and is a fairly simple to attach. Drive shafts will more than likely have to be made.
Basically with the used engine I found, trani, adaptor, new clutch and preasure plate and drive shaft balancing. My project will run me approx. $5000.00.....not bad considering the Cummins is rated at 400,000 Km's between rebuilds (or 8000, to 10,000 hrs. use) .With the miles I put on it will pay for itself shortly in fuel savings alone.

Just to be safe, add a little extra in there for miscelllaneous items such as fans, motor mounts (if you do not have them already), new radiator, intercooler (if you go that route) and upgraded braking system or electrical vacuum pump, minimum of 4" lift or SOA conversion, etc. Trust me, it's the little things that add up real quick. I think you would be really lucky to do the conversion for $5K. You are a better man than me if you can pull it off. My .02

Also, I was able to retain my stock driveshafts. No modifications necessary. It just happened to come out this way. Miraculously.

Good luck, you'll love it! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom