3/8" rear stock shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If there is already a thread on this, sorry.... did not find anything in the search.

Anyone know where to find a set of 3/8" heavy duty rear stock shackles with greasable pins? I am trying to upgrade to a heavier duty shackle without lifting the rear of the vehicle. Daystar makes a longer shackle, but claims to lift the vehicle 1 1/2". Stock length bolt to bolt is 3 1/2", the daystar shackles measure 4 1/2" bolt to bolt - how can this possibly life the vehicle 1 1/2"? I am no math guru, but seems like it would be impossible. I hear Con-fer used to manufacture a stock shackle, but they are no longer in business.

If anyone knows of any place selling a stock length heavy duty shackle with greasable pins please let me know.

Thanks !

I would get the daystar product and run it...according to what you have posted here.

You will not get 1.5" of lift from a shackle that is 1.0" longer than stock.

SOR *MIGHT* offer an aftermarket stock length greasable shackle....you could check them.

Good luck!

-Steve

Great heads up Draken!!

:beer: :beer:

Bob Hollingsworth has always treated me well...I just ordered a bunch of goodies from him the other day. His site has not always worked for me. Gald to see that it is going again.

-Steve

I have always disliked the stock shackles under the '40s. Not up to the stoutness levels of the rest of the rig. Far too easily bent.

My preference...make you own shackles. Use 2" by 3/8" flat stock. Cut it to whatever length you wish. I prefer to use 5/8" bolts in a '40 ( the bushings are too small for anything larger). Drill the bushings out to match with a spade bit. I'm not particularly impressed by greasable shackle pins. Grease it when you put it together and call it good. After you asemble everything, put a spot weld on the bolt head to keep them from spinning with the buching. Otherwise the bolt will do just that and it will rotate in the shackle, insteadof staying put in relation to the shackle and rotating within the bushing as it is supposed to. If this happens it will wear the bolt and tha side plate quickly.
Us Nylocks on the bolts and be careful not to overtighten them/ You want the side plates snug, but not crushing the bushing shoulders.

Reinforcement gussets between the side plates are not a good thing IMHO. The shackle and therefore the spring/suspension can flex more and easier if the side plates can shift a bit in relation to each other.

Mark...

I remember MANY years ago that BTB used to offer a stock length replacement shackle with the 3/8 plates, which I ran until I got the cantilever system from Downey. They were not greasable tho.

Just checked their website, and they have them in greasable now. Sound kind of spendy IMO, but it answers your question.:)

40-4122

http://store.btbprod.com/cgi-bin/btbprod.storefront

Thanks for the great thread on TPI, looks like they sell a 1" overstock supershackle with optional greasable pins for a reasonable price. I will be giving them a ring next week to order a set.

Thanks again!

or just got to your local spring shop and tell them what you want, they can make up what you want for about the same price as you'd pay for something you'd order, and they'll be able to tell you pros and cons, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom