3.73 Third Members for sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fj40charles

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 7, 2002
Threads
117
Messages
3,089
Location
Texas
Location
United States
Posting for a friend. Located in Northwest Arkansas.

2 Third members from a 79 FJ40. Complete and in excellent condition.

125.00 each + shipping. Or make a reasonable offer.

I can arrange delivery to Dallas, TX in the next few weeks.

Contact Jewell at jdbohannan@hotmail.com
 
Last edited:
ttt
 
Or make reasonable offer.

These third member would be good for someone wanting to get better mileage than with some 4.11 gear.
 
ttt
 
Is this front and back? Just asking because I'm in CA.
 
Yes, both came off the same truck.
 
Would you friend take $250 shippping included?
 
DigitalKnight86 said:
Would you friend take $250 shippping included?

Please PM me your zip code and let me see what shipping will be.
 
AATLAS1X said:
If I remember correctly the front and rear are interchangable, correct?

Yes. You need a block in the rear to keep the axle shaft from going too far into the
diff carrier.
 
fj40charles said:
Yes. You need a block in the rear to keep the axle shaft from going too far into the
diff carrier.

???????? So they are not mirror images of one another? this I did not know.......tell me more...So you cant just swap them around in a 79 or any year?


Thanks
 
Yes you can, the block is the only difference and it can be used on either diff..
 
Mace said:
Yes you can, the block is the only difference and it can be used on either diff..

Block? I have no idea what this is? I am having a issue for some reason with this. HELP me understand.

What number is the Block?
diff.gif
 
Part number 14 is the block. Shane, search on semi-floating axles and you will see a lot of tech on this block. It is needed in the rear to keep the axles from moving in too far towards the diff. In the front, you use the same 3rd member, but you don't have to install the block. Note that on the front the diff cover is not removable, so there would be no way to get to the block anyway. The block comes in several thicknesses so that the axles are snug in the rear side gears. The front axles are full floating by design and don't need the block or the two clips, which I do not see in this image.
 
My zip is 95139. These should fit on a 1970 Cruiser yes? I just want them so my RPMs won't be so high. Let me know as soon as you can.
 
rgentry said:
Part number 14 is the block. Shane, search on semi-floating axles and you will see a lot of tech on this block. It is needed in the rear to keep the axles from moving in too far towards the diff. In the front, you use the same 3rd member, but you don't have to install the block. Note that on the front the diff cover is not removable, so there would be no way to get to the block anyway. The block comes in several thicknesses so that the axles are snug in the rear side gears. The front axles are full floating by design and don't need the block or the two clips, which I do not see in this image.

I completely understand now.....The word block had me thrown in another direction.

So could you swap 3rd members and get a low mileage in the rear now if you had such a rig? Or is this a waist of time and just do it the correct way.


Thanks!
 
DigitalKnight86 said:
My zip is 95139. These should fit on a 1970 Cruiser yes? I just want them so my RPMs won't be so high. Let me know as soon as you can.

IF these are from a '79 and your's is a '70 you might want to check to ensure that your axle shafts are fine spline at the diff end. Older ones are not but I don't know the cutoff date.
 
Uh oh, this turned into tech all of the sudden. Maybe I should start a thread in the 40's forum. I'll do a search first.
 
Guy from the 40s says it will fit. I just need new flanges.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom