3.73 for 4.11 gears swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JCM

Threads
I need to set up a rig for my college kid to use as a daily driver and want to swap 3.73s in for the 4.11s that I have now. Set up with 350 SBC, 4 speed, 33" tires, but just need to get top speed up a little to make this more usable. I'm having a hard time sourcing parts - seems like a few of the guys that were selling these (front and back) are not to be found. I already know/understand the downside of swapping out the 4.11s but for my purposes I have determined that it is the way to go. Any direction on where to source 3.73s would be much appreciated.

3.70 was stock in '79 and later U.S. market 40's.

Georg at Valley Hybrids would be another good source.

Earlier FJ40 came with 4.11:1 gears in the differential. In 1979 Toyota change ratios to 3.70:1. You might be able to find used stk 3rd members with 3.70's and swap them in, or you can purchase aftermarket gears to what ever ratios you want. I think if you go aftermarket youll have to source fine spline pinion flanges with the proper bolt pattern for your driveshaft.

Thanks all! I finally stumbled upon Cruiser Outfitters website shortly after posting, and after giving them a call and emailing with tech, was able to buy a couple of master install kits as well as a couple of pairs of gears. Nice and easy. We will see how it goes from here, but looking forward to hopefully an additional 10% of top-end speed (I just don't want to think about how much each additional mph costs . . .).

Also
I have 370s in my 75, and love them...haven't seen a down side yet.

I run my 64 mostly on city streets. Swapped my original 4.11s for 3.70s and it made driving so much better. 350 small block with 35s.

What ratio should my 77 have stock?

Let us know how it goes. I have a similar setup with a 327 and would like to get lower rpms at freeway speeds.

Thanks all! I finally stumbled upon Cruiser Outfitters website shortly after posting, and after giving them a call and emailing with tech, was able to buy a couple of master install kits as well as a couple of pairs of gears. Nice and easy. We will see how it goes from here, but looking forward to hopefully an additional 10% of top-end speed (I just don't want to think about how much each additional mph costs . . .).
You will like the new 3:70's. I swapped out the original 4.11 in mine for a set of 3:70 gears. Top speed I reached, 85MPH (+/-) General cruising speed on the highway, 70MPH eazy.

1652579740097.png

Also, if you are using the OEM speedometer, it will be off when you swap the gears. I called Commercial Speedometer (916-371-5873) in Sacramento, CA to get a Correction Syncro box, and how to calculate correction ratio.

1652580042354.png

You will like the new 3:70's. I swapped out the original 4.11 in mine for a set of 3:70 gears. Top speed I reached, 85MPH (+/-) General cruising speed on the highway, 70MPH eazy.

View attachment 3009099

Also, if you are using the OEM speedometer, it will be off when you swap the gears. I called Commercial Speedometer (916-371-5873) in Sacramento, CA to get a Correction Syncro box, and how to calculate correction ratio.
If i figured right, its off 25% between the 33s and 370s in place of the 411s.
This has been one of the best things I've done to it....improved daily drive ability hugely.

So to clarify cheapest and most accessible would be a 3rd from a 60? I “need” these.

If i figured right, its off 25% between the 33s and 370s in place of the 411s.
This has been one of the best things I've done to it....improved daily drive ability hugely.
20% was my ratio with 32's & 370's in place of the 411's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom