3/69 - 9/69 carb and vacuum advance dist (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stoshzack, could you edit your #9 post to clarify it`s pointing to the wrong port? Thanks!

@FJ40Jim - if adding a ported vacuum, is it just drilling the hole and brass tubing sized for interference fit?
Pretty much. It's a good idea to put a little knurl on the brass tube, and some loctite before pressing in.

So, I picked up a 70-73 carb with throttle cable brackets/bellcrank, but no ported vacuum. Also found a 76 non usa with ported vacuum. Has anyone put one of these 76 carbs with the vacuum secondary on an F and modified it for throttle cable instead of linkage? Seems possible if I use the brackets off the earlier carb, but not sure.

The '73 carburetor's linkage, with the horizontal bellcrank, is unique to that one year. The rod from the horizontal bellcrank to the carburetor linkage should attach to the '76 carburetor without modification. For my '71 FJ40 build, I swapped part of the linkage from a spare '74 carburetor onto my '71 carburetor, bought a used '73 bellcrank from @65swb45, and bought a custom cable set-up from @Downey to connect from my accelerator pedal to the bellcrank. I did that to clear the interference caused by using a '76 air cleaner assembly (the loop in the cable interfered with the air cleaner assembly).

You may need to run an air cleaner assembly like the one used on a '76 2F.

Can you post photos of your carburetors and linkages?

Some relevant info here:

Good info, I think we're on the right track.

I'll get some pics of what have and post up. I have the 69-72 throttle cable brackets as well as the 73 specific horizontal set up. I might be missing a couple small bits. I will definitely need a new throttle cable and will probably disconnect the hand throttle for now since there doesn't seem to be a way to connect it to the later carbs other than foot pedal.

I have the original 69 aircleaner that uses the center stud and wing nut, as well as the early 70's that uses the clamp. Is it possible to use the 69 version with the 76 carb since it has the center stud?

I attached my hand throttle to the foot pedal. I don't know about the '69 air cleaner set-up.

For the rod between the '73 bellcrank and the stud on the carburetor linkage, I have a few odds-n-ends. @ToyotaMatt probably also has some of the rod pieces.

For carburetor linkages odds-n-ends, you might check with pardion here on MUD.

Has anyone put a 75-80 carb with the vacuum secondary on an F and modified it for throttle cable instead of linkage? Seems possible if I use the brackets off the earlier carb, but not sure.
It doesn't work well with the common USA 2F air cleaner because the cable would pass through the air cleaner.

I have the 69-72 throttle cable brackets as well as the 73 specific horizontal set up. I might be missing a couple small bits. I will definitely need a new throttle cable and will probably disconnect the hand throttle for now since there doesn't seem to be a way to connect it to the later carbs other than foot pedal.

I have the original 69 aircleaner that uses the center stud and wing nut, as well as the early 70's that uses the clamp. Is it possible to use the 69 version with the 76 carb since it has the center stud?
Use the 70-73 throttle cable with the 70-72 carb and a 70-74 air cleaner lid.
Boom, done.

The 69 carb and 75-80 carb have different air horn dimensions so aircleaners are not swappable.

So, I picked up a 70-73 carb with throttle cable brackets/bellcrank, but no ported vacuum. Also found a 76 non usa with ported vacuum. Has anyone put one of these 76 carbs with the vacuum secondary on an F and modified it for throttle cable instead of linkage? Seems possible if I use the brackets off the earlier carb, but not sure.

my small torque rod to carb sine linkage rod is full adjustable in length and socket layout and direction etc

https://vintageteqparts.com/collect.../URL [ATTACH type="full"]2581629[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the good info. Decided I'm going with the 69-72 carb with cable throttle to replace the 3/69-9/69 carb.

To make this work on my 69 fj40 with vacuum advance distributor:

I'll have to get the base/flange drilled for ported vacuum for the distributor.
I need to replace the throttle cable with the appropriate unit to match the 69-72 brackets on the carb.
I will replace the carb insulator with the correct thickness unit for the late 69-72 carb and replace studs in manifold
I have to switch the air cleaner to carb lid to the late 69-74 version with correct gasket
I have a pto winch with hand throttle, but it is not compatible with this carb unless I switch out the throttle pedal, but that can wait.

I`ll post up pics of the install once I have all the parts.

Was just looking at the 69-72 carb and made me wonder where the fuel cut solenoid will connect in my 69? The 3/69-9/69 carb had that air bypass valve powered off the coil, but I thought I read that the fuel cut solenoid shouldn't be connected to the coil, but just to keyed ignition source. Anyone know where the late 69 connected? I don't want to splice in somewhere if a stock location exists, and I don't see anything on electrical schematic I have.

Edit: search function to the rescue. Found the answer in an older thread: stock connection was + to coil, but because it's not fused, its better to splice into a fused circuit. Coolerman suggested 4wd indicator light.

Last edited:
Coolerman sells a wiring subharness with bullet connectors for just that purpose, but I'm not sure if it would work with a '69.

So, I have everything needed for the swap, except the correct hard fuel line.

Is it worth trying to find an original?
Should I go buy some fuel line and tools and build a new one?

I've never made fuel lines before. I don`t really want to use flex/soft lines. Thoughts?

The lines are 8mm/ 5/16" bundy tube. They use 8mm/ 5/16" compression sleeves and a bespoke M13 thread compression nut. The nut is available new from toyota. Tube is available from NAPA, though it will have flared ends with SAE flare nut. Cut off that crap & use the raw tubing. Compression sleeves are available in any plumbing department or NAPA.

Thanks for all the great info, Jim. New fuel lines on the to do list. 👍

Just an update to close out this thread. I finished the rebuild on the late 69 carb that will replace the 3/69-9/69 carb. I sent the throttle body to JimC and he added the ported vacuum tube so I can run it with the vacuum advance distributor. Thanks again Jim!

Took me awhile to track down all the parts needed for the swap. Thanks to everyone who helped out. Here's what i needed and total cost incase anyone is thinking of doing this swap:

Late 69-73 carb
Ported vacuum throttle body
Carb insulator
Carb to manifold studs
Carb rebuild kits (I used parts from a keyster and a napa kit)
Carb to aircleaner gasket
Proper air cleaner lid to fit late 69 carb (clamp instead of stud and wingnut)
Throttle cable return spring and bracket
Throttle cable and adjusting nuts
Oem hard fuel line
New fuel filter element
New aircleaner

Total cost ~$500. Your cost might be different depending on what you find for used parts, etc.

Here`s a pics of the rebuilt late 69 carb:

i-qzkR2St-M.jpg

and installed

i-xczzsKL-L.jpg
i-6g3PmFz-M.jpg

Started right up with choke and idles great. 👍

Still need to figure out best way to reconnect the hand throttle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom