3.4L 4Runner questions

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Poriomania, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Poriomania

Poriomania

I took my wifes 01 4runner into have the balljoints replaced as part of a recall campaign and while they were working on it they saw the water pump leaking "a little more than a seep." They say that not only does the water pump need replacing, but that when that leaks, it leaks onto the timing belt which then needs to be changed as well. I'd like to do the work myself, but I've never tried doing something like this, most complex thing I've done is the birf job on an 80.

While Im committed to replacing the water pump, how much leakage makes it critical(do it now), versus it can wait a week or so?

Given the right tools and the information is this something that requires much skill/technique? I'm not as concerned about doing the water pump replacement as I am the timing belt.

Sorry for all this tech cluttering up chat, the truck section doesn't seem to get hit a lot. :cheers:

2. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

I would have a mod move it to truck tech. There are some late model 4runner/taco experts on there.

We did the timing belt and H20 pump on my brother's 95 Taco a month ago. It's not difficult but there are some details in terms of keeping everything at TDC and aligning the belt. We had the factory service manual which is very good. Recent experience with aftermarket manuals such as Haynes has been poor. You'll also need a SST to pull the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer and another to remove a camshaft pulley. I fabbed them up in the garage with some plate, tubing, drill press and a welder. A big pin spanner might work on the cam pulley. You'll also need a puller to pull the harmonic balancer.

Someone else may chime in with a way to do it w/out the SST, but I don't know how. For a beginner I would plan on a full w/e, assuming you have all the parts. I preordered them from CDan. One of the tensioner pulleys was making noise so we replaced them both as my bro didn't want to deal with it again for another 90K miles. This was probably overkill. My local dealer stocked them.

Good luck.

3. Poriomania

Poriomania

Posted a copy into truck tech, if someone could delete this. Thanks.

4. Terrax

Terrax

Do you know what year 4runner's are affected in this recall campaign? I have a friends whose front end sounds funny.

5. Poriomania

Poriomania

01-02 4Runners are affected by this along with 01-04 Tacomas and 02-04 Tundras and Sequoias.

Article link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.