3/4 Tub Fitment / Measurement Info Request (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Curious to know what you did. I would have taken the refund and reworked the tub. I’m not sure what you paid for it, but website shows $11,000 😳.

I bought a 3/4 tub from Costa Rica years ago with fitment issues. Tub was made by the guy who used to make all the tubs for CCOT. He went MIA years ago. I would dare to bet he’s still at it and likely built your CCOT tub.
That might be true. Btw , when I get my 40 done, I’m in Winchester. Maybe we could get together and do some wheeling.

That might be true. Btw , when I get my 40 done, I’m in Winchester. Maybe we could get together and do some wheeling.
Yeah I noticed the price increase too. When I started accumulating parts back in the fall, there just under 10K. That a lot of money, especially since they apparently won’t stand behind them.

Curious to know what you did. I would have taken the refund and reworked the tub. I’m not sure what you paid for it, but website shows $11,000 😳.

I bought a 3/4 tub from Costa Rica years ago with fitment issues. Tub was made by the guy who used to make all the tubs for CCOT. He went MIA years ago. I would dare to bet he’s still at it and likely built your CCOT tub.

I ended up taking their $300 "compensation to fix it" and kept the tub - I had ended up laid off work for a few months, so I didn't have the luxury of wasting time chasing down a new tub when I've got the time *now* to work on it, and I had already lost about a month in back-and-forth discussion with CCOT on what to do. To add insult to injury, because stuff was in limbo, I had to miss out a front-end-fire-damaged '78 with a great tub, front and rear doors, and hardtop on the insurance auctions about an hour away...such is life.

For the firewall fitment, I put in a turnbuckle to pull it inward, then had to cut and seam the front floors to pull out the oilcanning - they're not perfect, but I had to balance getting them 100% vs adding more cuts and seams for something that's tucked under the floor mat. I also had to redrill some bodymount holes, specifically the ones where they're on the rear floor by the heater), as they were drilled off center. I'll have to adjust one pair underneath as well once the tub is back off for paint. The B-pillar flange angle is also off, but there's not much I can do there other than likely add a bit of extra rubber packing to the lip on the hardtop if it doesn't want to seal with the door's weatherstrip.

I do see the price went up - not that it was ever "cheap", but the price for the '75-78 tub at the time was the $9000 + $900 for freight. High, but in theory it should've been a better quality and better fitting tub than the other "generic" SA tubs going for $4-5k'ish, with the backing of CCOT. It does seem like the steel used is a bit better at least than than SA doors I picked up. The QC and fitment, though (at least for the 3/4 tub), is pretty mediocre compared to what they market their product as...and CCOT ownership had no appetite to stand behind it, even though the shop guys tended to agree with me. The increase in prices now might explain the owner's lack of willingness to do any replacement/meaningful compensation, although that's still no way to run a business. My read on the owner's actions were that he felt "this guy just doesn't know what he's doing" vs "hm, cutting up a new $10k tub is a bit abnormal".

At the current $12k+, there's *NO* way I'd recommend that route for what you get as well as the lack of any support if there is issues - as that's in theory what you're paying extra for. I can't imagine they'll sell many at that rate and that level of quality if word gets around. At the end of the day, I put it into the "life lessons" bucket, and conversely will also never buy any products from them again - better vendors to give my support to at this point.

I thought he was offering you a full refund and “keep” the 3/4 tub that was delivered.

I think you made the right choice seeing you have the knowledge and skills to fix it yourself.

Im enjoying watching your work. Keep up the good work 🍺.

I ended up taking their $300 "compensation to fix it" and kept the tub - I had ended up laid off work for a few months, so I didn't have the luxury of wasting time chasing down a new tub when I've got the time *now* to work on it, and I had already lost about a month in back-and-forth discussion with CCOT on what to do. To add insult to injury, because stuff was in limbo, I had to miss out a front-end-fire-damaged '78 with a great tub, front and rear doors, and hardtop on the insurance auctions about an hour away...such is life.

For the firewall fitment, I put in a turnbuckle to pull it inward, then had to cut and seam the front floors to pull out the oilcanning - they're not perfect, but I had to balance getting them 100% vs adding more cuts and seams for something that's tucked under the floor mat. I also had to redrill some bodymount holes, specifically the ones where they're on the rear floor by the heater), as they were drilled off center. I'll have to adjust one pair underneath as well once the tub is back off for paint. The B-pillar flange angle is also off, but there's not much I can do there other than likely add a bit of extra rubber packing to the lip on the hardtop if it doesn't want to seal with the door's weatherstrip.

I do see the price went up - not that it was ever "cheap", but the price for the '75-78 tub at the time was the $9000 + $900 for freight. High, but in theory it should've been a better quality and better fitting tub than the other "generic" SA tubs going for $4-5k'ish, with the backing of CCOT. It does seem like the steel used is a bit better at least than than SA doors I picked up. The QC and fitment, though (at least for the 3/4 tub), is pretty mediocre compared to what they market their product as...and CCOT ownership had no appetite to stand behind it, even though the shop guys tended to agree with me. The increase in prices now might explain the owner's lack of willingness to do any replacement/meaningful compensation, although that's still no way to run a business. My read on the owner's actions were that he felt "this guy just doesn't know what he's doing" vs "hm, cutting up a new $10k tub is a bit abnormal".

At the current $12k+, there's *NO* way I'd recommend that route for what you get as well as the lack of any support if there is issues - as that's in theory what you're paying extra for. I can't imagine they'll sell many at that rate and that level of quality if word gets around. At the end of the day, I put it into the "life lessons" bucket, and conversely will also never buy any products from them again - better vendors to give my support to at this point.
That's disgusting that Cool Cruisers of Texas wouldn't do anything to make that right. I would suggest that everyone who reads the above story remember that before they push the "pay now" button when you decide to order parts. This is a small community to screw over the client base.

I thought he was offering you a full refund and “keep” the 3/4 tub that was delivered.

I think you made the right choice seeing you have the knowledge and skills to fix it yourself.

Im enjoying watching your work. Keep up the good work 🍺.

Ah, nope - options were:
* ship it back for a full refund, but with **NO** option for a replacement tub through CCOT - I'd have to source one elsewhere with the rig already blown apart for a 3/4 tub replacement
* keep the tub and try to fix any issues (some TBD), with "$300 for my troubles". (Oddly enough, he initially offered $900, but backtracked from that after I countered)

I will still say the shop guys "on the floor" were decent, it was the owner than came in over the top and gummed up the works - based on his actions, I'm 100% certain he thought I was some moron that didn't know a welder from a hole in the ground, despite plenty of photos and data to show otherwise about the tub. I do get that re-shipping large freight items is not a great outcome for anyone...but if I was in his shoes, I'd have thrown $2k back to the customer to avoid reshipping and to accommodate the delays and rework (ie, treat it like a 1/2 tub since the floor pans needed cutting), which would end up with a happier customer and better PR. It was never really about the work, it's just metal at the end of the day...but more about the product quality and expectations there about cutting up new sheet metal.

Ironically, I discussed a return for one of the SA doors from the seller in FL, and they didn't bat an eye at return freight and a swap if needed, and were 100% on board with "try and fix it first, if it doesn't work out I'll still take it back"...I give my kudos to that fellow.

Anyway, as I said earlier in the thread - there's always two sides to every story, so take it for what it's worth, this is just "my side"...but agree with the post above, do choose your vendors carefully.

Was this the tub that cool Cruisers of Texas posted on their Facebook account on January 11th bragging about it being shipped out?
Do you the original fb post? That would add a whole other level of disgusting to this.

Ha, never saw that...I got the freight number on Jan 13, and it was indeed shipped to WI, so that's likely it.

Granted, they created that post pre-shipment, so issues were unknown at that point to any of us, so I can't fault them for the post itself...but definitely some irony based on how everything turned out. Gave me a chuckle for the afternoon at least...water under the bridge here. Too bad the photos didn't have a touch more angle to them, you could've seen "MALO" written on the underside. 😆

Should have paint in hand on Monday or Tuesday...really looking forward to the home stretch of reassembly and getting it back on the road.

One last (minor) funny with the tub, and a heads up for anyone that might end up with one...my upper spare tire carrier bolt holes were off. Not sure if that's a year-by-year snafu, but definitely one to catch before paint.

PXL_20210704_193658317.MP.jpg

One last (minor) funny with the tub, and a heads up for anyone that might end up with one...my upper spare tire carrier bolt holes were off. Not sure if that's a year-by-year snafu, but definitely one to catch before paint.

View attachment 2721863
Is that the top or bottom connection? It looks like the top and my '77 has a bolt pattern that looks as if it would match your tub. Maybe it is a variation in the carrier design?

Top, but they very explicitly ask which you carrier you have. Either they shipped the wrong variant, or they made an oops in fab. I've got a July 75 build of a '76 MY with the boxed carrier, which they knew on ordering.

Definitely minor to address, but pretty basic stuff to mix up for the price they're asking.

Screenshot_20210704-173600.png

Well, one last "last one" for the saga - by having to cut the floor pans, that impacted the seat mounts (not entirely unexpected). It looks like all the original fabrication error ended up all on the pax side, as the holes for the gas tank cover were off by that same 1/2", pushed inboard. The cover rides on that rocker sill, so it's a hard reference point there. That also pushed the mounting tab for the inner pax seat rail inboard by 1/2" as well, so it needed to get cut off and rewelded, and the gas tank bolt holes filled, redrilled, and nuts readded. Seems like they blotched up the pax rocker to the outside. Glad I went through the work to install the seats before primer/paint at least...that would've been less than fun to find after the fact.

They also forgot to put in the captive nuts for the rear of the tank cover, and they're "inside" the boxed section there...luckily I have the tooling to install rivnuts, so I drilled and pressed in some M8 nutserts there. Past that, no options, as it's boxed in and there's no access - and you can't drill an access hole underneath either as the one tank cover bolt is right over a body mount bracket. Odd ones to miss there...

Tried to explain some of this ripple effect to the CCOT crew/owner...but I digress. Got it in primer today at least. :D

Gas tank mounts shifted:
PXL_20210706_164052342.MP.jpg

Seat mount shifted:
PXL_20210706_164057282.MP.jpg

Completely missing nuts, and no access:

PXL_20210706_164039845.MP.jpg

@zerotreedelta I have same issue with 77 tub that I just received in July. Tried to PM you with some info, questions, and tips. Thankfully I dont need tub yet, so I'm not boxed in per se. Let me know when I can call, text, or PM you for some help.

Last edited:
As someone considering one of these tubs, CCOT needs to step up quality control considering what they charge. @cwags12 I'd love to hear what you ran into.

Still curious how @cwags12 ended up.

Random funny one - I was looking something else up, and noticed they now added this disclaimer to their page:
Note: When joining ľ tub to front clip, adjustments to front clip width may be required to spread front clip wider or pinch clip to be more narrow to match set width of ľ tub.

There's def no way I was spreading the cowling to fit that amount of error - it's also "locked in" by floor skins. 🙃

I wonder how the Alibaba tubs fare - seems like the doors are not-perfect but pretty decent.

Random funny one - I was looking something else up, and noticed they now added this disclaimer to their page:

There's def no way I was spreading the cowling to fit that amount of error - it's also "locked in" by floor skins. 🙃

I wonder how the Alibaba tubs fare - seems like the doors are not-perfect but pretty decent.
From what I can tell, the Chinese tubs are only '79 and after. I'd love to try one on my '77 if they made it.

The price has gone up again too. For that kind of money the front cowl should be included and already attached. They don’t seem to be very interested in selling body tubs at that price. Holy cow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom