2wd kit from MAF (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering about the part time 4wd kit from MAF.
What does the part do that goes in the transfer case, what does
it replace?
Will installing this in the T-case disengage the front axle only
when the CD is unlocked?

The part that goes in the transfer case replaces the centr diff.

The centre diff lock nbutton is used to engage 4wd

The drive plates are removed and free wheeling hubs are fitted

Turns it into a part timer. that is you lock in the hubs and push a button and away you go

I’ve never opened this T-case so I cant visualize the operation to well.
does it replace the entire differential including the dif housing.
does the ring gear bolt to this new part?

Anybody have pics

You know you won't have ABS after you make this switch don't you?

It replaces a coupling or adds a coupling in the centre diff (I think), nothing you will see on the outside, and the innards remain virtually the same (asside from replacing a coupling). You will have to add free-wheel hubs (included in the kit) If you're doing this to gain gas mileage, then you're wasting the money. For preformance, I don't know if it will make enough of a difference for you, but maybe so.

Slee's site has some good info and pictures on the conversion, maybe worth a look to get a better idea of what goes on with the conversion.

Not to be a kill joy, but you may want to talk to your insurance agent to see if disableing a safty system will mess with you insurance policy if they happen to look at your truck after a accident. On any truck wtih ABS you will be in effect driving around with disabled ABS. Just a thought. The kit was designed with the 91-92(all semi floating) and any 93-94 that happend to have SF rear end with drum brakes. Not to mention the viscous coupler and the light feeling you get in the steering.Later robbie

Still confused as to why'd you want to do this?

Try thi site
http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/part_time_4wd.htm

It shows photos of the job being done

I fitted one to the Brother in law's cruiser . Took about half a day.

The kit was designed with the 91-92(all semi floating) and any 93-94 that happend to have SF rear end with drum brakes. Not to mention the viscous coupler and the light feeling you get in the steering.Later robbie

We didn't get 80's with semi floaters or rear drums.

Looking at the parts removed from the T-case it appears
that it’s basically a spool, like you would put in a dragster
rear dif.
I think all that would need to be done is weld the spider
gears together in the CD.

alkaline747trio said:
Better preformance (in some aspects of driving), reduced wear, increased fuel economy...
I would think overall performance (taking all conditions in to account) would be worse, wear would be reduced so maybe you could get 400k out of the rig instead of a measly 398k, and while fuel economy goes up, overall economy would go way down, as you would never recover the cost (well maybe after several decades.) :doh: :D

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Please, please this post was about what the part-time kit
consists of and how it works mechanically.
Not rehashed why you should or shouldn’t install it.
It’s a pain in the @$$ to find useful information on
a topic when post’s go astray

Thanks Jeremy

The main reason to do this would be for reduced wear and greater acceleration and handling (in SOME situations)...about the kit, I'm pretty sure it's more than a spool, but I am probably and possibly wrong.

davisdrafting said:
Please, please this post was about what the part-time kit
consists of and how it works mechanically.
Not rehashed why you should or shouldn’t install it.
It’s a pain in the @$$ to find useful information on
a topic when post’s go astray

Thanks Jeremy
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
If that's all you wanna know, call MAF and ask! :grinpimp:

Just give steve-o or slee a pm or phone call and they'll be able to tell you all you want to know...this forum has knowledge, but most of us want to keep that full time 4wd, I love knowing that I can go straight from interstate driving to some pretty tough off-roading without touching a thing, and knowing that to get myself unstuck (like it'll happen), it's just a lever-pull to low range and I'm on my way.

davisdrafting said:
Looking at the parts removed from the T-case it appears
that it’s basically a spool, like you would put in a dragster
rear dif.
I think all that would need to be done is weld the spider
gears together in the CD.

I think welding the gears together would lock up the CD

The kit replaces the the carrier and gears and in place of the gears the new part has a brass spacer that stops the input shaft from moving backwards.

What!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom