AltFuel 2nd tanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello. I just bought a 1987, one-owner HJ60 2H, 4.0-liter, Diesel, 5-speed. On wikipedia, I read that the LC-70s have a 90-liter tank, with 2 tanks as an option. Does anyone know whether a 2nd tank was optional on the 60s? If so, the "space" is there.

I carry me and nothing, so the weight of the 2nd tank filled with vegetable oil is not a problem. Where it goes matters in terms of weight distribution, center of gravity (and actually, I find that trucks ride better with more weight). I will probably pay someone experienced in conversions to rig up the heaters and filters.

One problem with a tank inside the vehicle is that I cross the border into the US once every week, and they want to know what everything is. "Oh, fuel INSIDE the vehicle!" ... no, it is vegetable oil... "Oh, burning fuel with no road tax on it!" I can see it now. Underneath is better for me. I may someday want to use the cargo space for something (cargo?).

I'm in the process of setting up a second tank. I bought a grand cherokee tank as per the advice in this forum and it looks like its going to ride way too low for my liking. It's back to the wrecking shop for me. There are a couple other tanks there that look like they may work out, but I'll post here when I find something that works out. If anyone has any new info on this, don't be a miser, let us all know!

I don't think that it would be any problem to mount a second tank under the first tank. After taking one off and seeing how it is done, the metal straps that hold the first tank on would be easy to duplicate for a second strap.

Another think to think about would be fabricating something that bolts into the wholes of the spare tire mount, on either side (wheel sides) of the tank.

Although the 60 series tank is not flat, it is thicker towards the front so it might get too thick, then there is the sender tube problem, the bottom tank might have issues.

What about using two 40 series tanks side by side? If there is enough room you might be able to use the 60 tank strap bolt holes for longitudinal straps and the spare tire mount holes for the horizontal. I think this may be a better option than two 60 series tanks.

Question about acidity of the oil.

I have 50 gallons that I need to pickup but the resteraunt changes it once a week.

Looks pretty dark but want to make sure it can be used. How acid can the oil be before I reject it?

harvy, please start a new thread in here for that question. This thread is about tanks thanks.

I would not stack tanks at the back. Too much weight and too far behind the axle, the arm will add a lot of weight to the springs. Also it limits you offroad. I've smacked the tire enough that I don't keep a tire there anymore.

If you live in a warm climate(not in Canada) I would use the main tank for the veg and mount a 25 litre diesel tank somewhere else.

In Canada I truly believe you will not get to use your veg oil at all if your tank is under the truck. It will take too long to get to operating temp. Or the electric pre heater at the IP will be on all time giving you a 30 amp load(burning fuel).
Your stuck in cold climates having the tank inside. A 60 litre tank will fit along the side behind the wheel well and up against the cargo panel. It takes up next to nothing space.

As for crossing the border, each state has it's own rules regarding road tax. The border guard is only going to be concerned with contraband or stuff not allowed in the states. You can always build a nice storage box around the tank, then it doesn't look like liquid coke container :)

Sounds like a good option! Do you mean you fit the cherokee tank UNDER the stock tank as a second tank? How did you hook up the filler tube? Did you use this as a WVO tank? Any help would be appreciated.

Don

I took out the spare and measured the area I had. Then I went to the local Pick & Pull (a junkyard that lets you do all the work) and searched until I found a tank that fit my criteria. I pulled it off, took it home and put it on.
When I had my GFS system installed, they put the heater in it and installed the filler. It is now my WVO tank.

harvy, please start a new thread in here for that question. This thread is about tanks thanks.

I would not stack tanks at the back. Too much weight and too far behind the axle, the arm will add a lot of weight to the springs. Also it limits you offroad. I've smacked the tire enough that I don't keep a tire there anymore.

If you live in a warm climate(not in Canada) I would use the main tank for the veg and mount a 25 litre diesel tank somewhere else.

In Canada I truly believe you will not get to use your veg oil at all if your tank is under the truck. It will take too long to get to operating temp. Or the electric pre heater at the IP will be on all time giving you a 30 amp load(burning fuel).
Your stuck in cold climates having the tank inside. A 60 litre tank will fit along the side behind the wheel well and up against the cargo panel. It takes up next to nothing space.

As for crossing the border, each state has it's own rules regarding road tax. The border guard is only going to be concerned with contraband or stuff not allowed in the states. You can always build a nice storage box around the tank, then it doesn't look like liquid coke container :)

I have to respectfully disagree. My rig did fine last winter, in temps below 0 F, I think because most of the heating is going on inside the hoses and especially in the heat exchanger. The tank never has to get hot, hot, hot, just warm enough for the veg to flow into the lines.

I took out the spare and measured the area I had. Then I went to the local Pick & Pull (a junkyard that lets you do all the work) and searched until I found a tank that fit my criteria. I pulled it off, took it home and put it on.
When I had my GFS system installed, they put the heater in it and installed the filler. It is now my WVO tank.
which vehicle/yr did the tank come from?

I just finished installing a 2nd tank under the stock tank on my HJ 60. Found a plasitc one at a junkyard that fit the size I needed, and a filler neck that I could fabricate to work. I tried to dtermine the make/year but it wasn't obvious from the pile of tanks it was buried under! I installed the filler tube so that it sticks out the back end above the rear bumper. There's still enough space so the rear gate still goes down. Not pretty, but I haven't heard any better suggestions!

Regarding weight loading, the spare tire and bracket are really heavy, so you gain when those are removed. I have done mechanical work on a lot of trucks with rear leaf springs, and as long as the springs can support the load without excessive sagging, then that is what they are designed to do. Landcruisers are known to have weak rear susp. so just test with a load in the back and measure ride height. If it sags too much, have an extra leaf put in. I also agree that these trucks seem to handle better with some weight in the rear, especially on winter roads!

Sounds like a pretty good setup!

Regarding rear loading, what do you think about frame strength though? I mean I can keep adding leafs, but at what point do you think there is risk of damage to the frame?

I just finished installing a 2nd tank under the stock tank on my HJ 60. Found a plasitc one at a junkyard that fit the size I needed, and a filler neck that I could fabricate to work. I tried to dtermine the make/year but it wasn't obvious from the pile of tanks it was buried under! I installed the filler tube so that it sticks out the back end above the rear bumper. There's still enough space so the rear gate still goes down. Not pretty, but I haven't heard any better suggestions!

Regarding weight loading, the spare tire and bracket are really heavy, so you gain when those are removed. I have done mechanical work on a lot of trucks with rear leaf springs, and as long as the springs can support the load without excessive sagging, then that is what they are designed to do. Landcruisers are known to have weak rear susp. so just test with a load in the back and measure ride height. If it sags too much, have an extra leaf put in. I also agree that these trucks seem to handle better with some weight in the rear, especially on winter roads!

If you folks are planning any travel outside of the US and Canada that involves crossing to Mexico, they are getting picky about extra tanks. They refused to fill my jerry cans too. Mexico Confiscates Some American Pickups Buying Cheaper Mexican Diesel Fuel - Expedition Portal Forums

I have a long range tank in the '55 and will be getting one for the '60. That way I still have one tank so there should be no complaints. Last time the attendant at Pemex asked if the '55 tank was modified, I just said "It's an expedition vehicle and has a large tank!" and that seemed to satisfy him and he filled it with over 1000 pesos of diesel (nearly 42 gallons).

I'm not taking the chance of having my truck impounded by Mexico by installing a second tank!

A single divided tank may work and be enough to bluff through though I don't know what you'd do about the fill nozzle.

If you folks are planning any travel outside of the US and Canada that involves crossing to Mexico, they are getting picky about extra tanks. They refused to fill my jerry cans too. Mexico Confiscates Some American Pickups Buying Cheaper Mexican Diesel Fuel - Expedition Portal Forums

I have a long range tank in the '55 and will be getting one for the '60. That way I still have one tank so there should be no complaints. Last time the attendant at Pemex asked if the '55 tank was modified, I just said "It's an expedition vehicle and has a large tank!" and that seemed to satisfy him and he filled it with over 1000 pesos of diesel (nearly 42 gallons).

I'm not taking the chance of having my truck impounded by Mexico by installing a second tank!

A single divided tank may work and be enough to bluff through though I don't know what you'd do about the fill nozzle.

Charles,
First, glad to see that you are back safe and hope that you had a good trip. Second, it's funny that this comes up today. After our last conversation on this topic I was under the rig this morning trying to see if I could fit a second 40 tank under the drivers side, (23 + 23 gallons = 46) run the filler neck over to join up with the OEM neck and use an 80 series filler neck at the OEM spot. That way I could use them both for dino diesel while I'm here, basically extended the range with the second tank, and then be set up for veggie oil in one tank and bio diesel in the other when I get back home to the U.S.
After thinking about your Mexican border crossing observation, I don't want to take any chances with my rig getting snatched either. So my new plan is a single long range tank augmented with CNG or Propane tanks when I get back home. I would prefer a single long range tank that could get me 50 gallons but one where I don't have to mount it in the rear as that is where I see the CNG/Propane tanks going. MAF makes a long range tank for the 40 series but it won't fit my year as the tub floor humps up under the driver's/passenger's seats. I haven't found anyone here who can do a custom tank either. Anyone got any ideas on a 40+ gallon long range tank for a 40? I hear some guys use tanks from other vehicles but no clue what would be large enough and yet still fit ...:hmm:

Charles,
First, glad to see that you are back safe and hope that you had a good trip. Second, it's funny that this comes up today. After our last conversation on this topic I was under the rig this morning trying to see if I could fit a second 40 tank under the drivers side, (23 + 23 gallons = 46) run the filler neck over to join up with the OEM neck and use an 80 series filler neck at the OEM spot. That way I could use them both for dino diesel while I'm here, basically extended the range with the second tank, and then be set up for veggie oil in one tank and bio diesel in the other when I get back home to the U.S.
After thinking about your Mexican border crossing observation, I don't want to take any chances with my rig getting snatched either. So my new plan is a single long range tank augmented with CNG or Propane tanks when I get back home. I would prefer a single long range tank that could get me 50 gallons but one where I don't have to mount it in the rear as that is where I see the CNG/Propane tanks going. MAF makes a long range tank for the 40 series but it won't fit my year as the tub floor humps up under the driver's/passenger's seats. I haven't found anyone here who can do a custom tank either. Anyone got any ideas on a 40+ gallon long range tank for a 40? I hear some guys use tanks from other vehicles but no clue what would be large enough and yet still fit ...:hmm:

Yep, I had a good trip and was able to pick up a few things but there isn't much at the wreckers yet due to the high steel prices last year. There was some '40 stuff there. Next time we'll need to see if we can arrange it that you come along and join us if you want.

You MAY be OK crossing the border with two tanks but it would be a risk, one I'm not about to take. If you wanted to you'd need to fill one tank with an appropriate amount of fuel that doesn't raise eyebrows and then shortly after fill the other tank. I'll probably do that with my long range tanks too next time just to be safe.

As far as weight goes, I have a 40 gallon aux tank on my 94 FZJ80. I am running OME stock height springs (a bit stiffer than stock) and I can't tell a bit of difference with both tanks full (65 gallons) The 40 gallon is mounted where the spare tire was. I think WVO and diesel are probably around 7 lbs per gallon so the 40 gallons only adds about 280 lbs, about like 2 kids in the 3rd row which is about where the tank is. I wouldn't worry about the weight.
Rusty

Yep, I had a good trip and was able to pick up a few things but there isn't much at the wreckers yet due to the high steel prices last year. There was some '40 stuff there. Next time we'll need to see if we can arrange it that you come along and join us if you want.

You MAY be OK crossing the border with two tanks but it would be a risk, one I'm not about to take. If you wanted to you'd need to fill one tank with an appropriate amount of fuel that doesn't raise eyebrows and then shortly after fill the other tank. I'll probably do that with my long range tanks too next time just to be safe.

As long as I'm in town, count me in on the next parts run to Honduras. I never seem to find jack when I get to a salvage yard so maybe my luck will be better with you guys. As to running dual tanks at border crossings, did the Mexican cops say anything that would lead you to believe that they are just after untaxed fuel or is a second tank just part of their dope hauler profile?
Cheers

Sounds like a pretty good setup!

Regarding rear loading, what do you think about frame strength though? I mean I can keep adding leafs, but at what point do you think there is risk of damage to the frame?

The frame is generally built to be the strongest part of the vehicle. Other components like spring shackles, shock mounts etc. are the first to go, unless the frame starts to rust out. Then some welding repair is needed. A frame can be compromised if there is a twisting or sideways force from an accident, rollover etc. IMO I don't see a problem with adding 200 lbs of extra weight. Unless you are doing a lot of wicked off-roading that could put the frame under twisting stress. But I don't know much about that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom