2nd Start button and Power button issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Question:
Is it necessary for the indicator light on the dash to be working before the computer allows lock-up of the transmission during 2nd Start mode or Power mode?

Background:
'97 FZJ80 w/ 102k mi purchased last May. "D" Drive indicator lamp was out when I bought the truck. Shortly thereafter the lamp for "Power mode" went out. I never really tested to see if the "Power mode" still worked properly after the indicator lamp went out. Recently (like an idiot) I tried as suggested here to give a whack to the dash to see if I could get the indicator lamps to come back.

Well instead of coming on, the "2nd start" indicator lamp went out. :doh:

So now the "D" light is out, the "Power" light is out and the "2nd Start" light is out. It also appears that the power mode and 2nd start mode are not functioning. Ive pulled the switch and tested it according to the FSM and it checks out OK. I pulled the dash out and checked connections at the combination meter, but I'm waiting for the lamps to come in before testing for burnt bulbs. I've ordered new bulbs for the dash and am hoping that by completing the circuit the computer will get the proper signal and actuate the tranny as it should. Or should I start thinking about a problem at the computor and tranny connections.

Hi ive got exactly the same problem my drive light power and 2nd start dont light up and i dont think there working ???

My "PWR" dash light does not work but "PWR" mode works fine. Not sure about the "2nd" button as the dash light works, but I have never actually tried using it yet.

My '97 D and PWR lights do not work. However, PWR works. For that matter, so does D. Heh.

Check again if your 2nd gear start is working - I suspect it is. If so, likely so is the PWR feature. Do you know how the 2nd feature works?

DougM

One way to know for sure that your 2nd start is working is when you depress it accidentally prior to starting up a steep driveway out of your subterranean parking garage and the engine revs but doesn't generate enough torque to get up the hill. Ask me how I know :doh:

David

Another excellent test is to accidentally bump it somewhere in the 10 minutes before you find yourself in a hurry and pull out in front of a truck. You'll leave a dent in the floor mat and won't need any coffee the rest of the day.

DougM

Question:
Is it necessary for the indicator light on the dash to be working before the computer allows lock-up of the transmission during 2nd Start mode or Power mode?

Background:
'97 FZJ80 w/ 102k mi purchased last May. "D" Drive indicator lamp was out when I bought the truck. Shortly thereafter the lamp for "Power mode" went out. I never really tested to see if the "Power mode" still worked properly after the indicator lamp went out. Recently (like an idiot) I tried as suggested here to give a whack to the dash to see if I could get the indicator lamps to come back.

Well instead of coming on, the "2nd start" indicator lamp went out. :doh:

So now the "D" light is out, the "Power" light is out and the "2nd Start" light is out. It also appears that the power mode and 2nd start mode are not functioning. Ive pulled the switch and tested it according to the FSM and it checks out OK. I pulled the dash out and checked connections at the combination meter, but I'm waiting for the lamps to come in before testing for burnt bulbs. I've ordered new bulbs for the dash and am hoping that by completing the circuit the computer will get the proper signal and actuate the tranny as it should. Or should I start thinking about a problem at the computor and tranny connections.

Has the problem been identified? I also experience the same on a 99 cruiser (No 'D", "PWR", or "2nd Start" symbols). I also wondered if it is tranny problem.

Has the problem been identified? I also experience the same on a 99 cruiser (No 'D", "PWR", or "2nd Start" symbols). I also wondered if it is tranny problem.

It is ok to start a new thread when you resurrect two and no one replies. 99 times out of a 100 your "problems" are most likely burnt out bulbs.

Have you tried the tests given in both threads??? Results???

You might try popping off the button itself in the center console and just cleaning out the dirt etc. My indicator light for the 2nd start went out even though it was still actually starting in 2nd. Cleaned out the button and the indicator light worked again. May just not be making good enough contact.

Josh

Another excellent test is to accidentally bump it somewhere in the 10 minutes before you find yourself in a hurry and pull out in front of a truck. You'll leave a dent in the floor mat and won't need any coffee the rest of the day.

DougM

LOL

Reminds me of the Skip Shift system (CAGS) in my T/A :doh:

Damn thing would force me to shift from 1st to 4th while driving under light throttle to save on fuel :rolleyes:

A scary thing when trying to accelerate through a busy instersection in 4th :eek:

After a week, I bypassed the system completely cause it was more of a hazard than anything else....

Your bulbs are burnt out, very common.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried this:
1. pusing down the power button. it stayed there, but no indicator light was on. ------ At driving side, there was no expected effort on high rev up shifting.
2. pushing down the 2nd start button. It popped up the power button, but it did not stay there, and no indicator light was on. ----- At driving side, it showed no effect.

BTW, I found the indicator lights -- there are 3 square ones under "L". The left one is 2nd start and right one ECT PWR.

I ordered a repair manual last night. Probably next weekend I will have some home project to do. :)

I have the same problem with mine "D", 2nd & PWR light in the dash were out when I bought the truck. I replaced the bulbs but 2nd & PWR light does not come on when activated even after changing the bulbs. I haven't tried cleaning the switch may be that will do the trick otherwise I'll leave it like that for now , truck runs okey so far.

same thing

Let me know what you guys come up with...I have the same issue. No D, 2nd, pwr light on the dash or at the buttons. What gives????

I have my D, but no PWR light or 2nd (just went out last week). Guess I'll be tearing apart the dash to change some bulbs. I'll make sure to test the others to see if I have anything else out before I go through the trouble.

Wow. Old thread that I had forgotten about. Since I was the original poster I guess it's time to report back as to how I fixed my issue.

I had two problems: The dash light bulbs burned out. And also, the switch for the "power and "2nd start" was gummed up with old spilled coffee so that it worked only intermittently. After I took apart and cleaned the switch and then replaced the bulbs, everything works as it should.

What I found out is that (as several people posted here) there is no direct relation to the function of the "2nd start" or "power" functions and continuity of the indicator bulbs. The bulbs can burn out and the functions still operate.

Because the "power" and "2nd start" are rarely used for most of us I think we just don't notice a problem until one of our dash bulbs burns out and then we check all the switch functions.

hi i live in a very hilly part of this green and pleasant land and i tend to have the pwr setting on as it shifts earlier and holds the gear for longer BUT it also disables the O/D
my question is can i remove some wires so that in PWR mode the O/D stills kicks in
hope there is a knowledgable boffin here that can help
regards kev

The PWR button does not disable O/D on my previous LC and LX.

My button doesn't stay down when pushed like the power button does, is it supposed to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom