2nd row door speaker upgrade 4 to 6.5in (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

papabeach

SILVER Star
Threads
image.jpeg

Nothing cosmic here, been done before. But so simple and almost silly not to do if you listen to music in your 80.

Prior owner replaced the original rear door speakers with the 4in Kicker DS400's.

https://www.amazon.com/Kicker-07DS400-4-Inch-100mm-Speakers/dp/B001JE5SXU

While this was likely an improvement over factory I wanted more.

The Pioneer TS1645R 6.5in fit without any modification to the door.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N...r+tsg1645r&dpPl=1&dpID=41LQDWpQ0TL&ref=plSrch

Downside for some is you have to drill through the door card/panel but not a problem for me. I painted the grills with Rustoleum Textured Bronze 7226380. Match is almost perfect.

Mid range sound is much improved! Well worth $30 for speakers and 30 min or so to install, clean-up and take a couple pics.

If anyone wants my old speakers/grills I will post them in the classifieds.

That looks great! I've been meaning to fix my rear door speakers and just might try this. What do you have in the front doors?

That looks great! I've been meaning to fix my rear door speakers and just might try this. What do you have in the front doors?

Older version of the same speakers (installed by prior owner behind factory panel (Pioneer TS-G1644R). Here is my whole setup...

-- Pioneer AVH-4100NEX
-- Sirius XM SXV300v1 Tuner Kit
-- MiroBypass Parking Brake Switch Fully Automatic Video in motion
-- Rerii USB/HDMI Flush mount dash panel
-- Rerii USB/AUX Flush mount dash panel
-- Kicker speakers in dash (not sure of model #)
-- Pioneer TS-G1644R 6 1/2'” speakers in front doors
-- Pioneer TS-G1645R 6 1/2'” speakers in front doors
-- Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 12” Subwoofer
-- Alpine MRP-M650/450 amplifier
-- Complete sound deadening
-Sound Deadener Showdown products
-CLD tiles
-Mass Loaded Vinyl
-Closed Cell Foam 1/8”
-Extruded Butyl Rope
-Hydrophobic Melamine Foam
-- Alpine HCE-C212 Front-view Multi-view Camera
-- Alpine KTX-C10LP License Plate Mounting Kit
-- Alpine HCE-C125 Rear View Camera
-- Cobra 19CXIV Compact CB Radio (Mounted on drivers side of console)
-- 4’ Firestik (F) IIFS Series Tunable Tip CB Antenna (Black FS4-B)

When I did my stereo I went for the Pioneer TSD1602R 6.5 Inch in both the front and rear doors and drive them off a Pioneer GMA6604 amp which I have located under the drivers seat. I also have a subwoofer setup with a seperate amp which isn't really need to be honest. No value in using the front speakers unless you wanted to have dedicated tweeters but to be honest the pioneers do a great job with the upper frequencies. The rears are just a waste of time unless you intend to keep the 3rd row of seats and have warm bodies in them. You may also need to think about how you would power them as you can't just parallel them off other speakers due to the impedance drop.

Agree with comments above by @Stretched . Always going to be a lot of opinions on stereo stuff, it's pretty personal and $$$ matters.

The dash speakers had already been replaced when I bought her. They aren't dedicated tweeters but might as well be..not much depth of sound. To be honest I am happy with them but have nothing to compare to. The 3rd row set is still hooked up and work but the they are pretty impossible to hear unless you are right next to them...unhooking and/or replacing wasn't worth my time. I don't use my 3rd row seats.

Best upgrades for me were:
1) sound deadening
2) new head unit (more power out to speakers than prior head unit)
3) upgrading 2nd row to 6.5s (front doors already had them)

Amping the speakers would be my next upgrade but I am happy with how things are now. If I were using higher quality speakers there would be more fab work to fit them and I would definitely amp but that is not for me.

The best use for the dash speakers are for the CB. Other than that, I would just clip wires to them, and run front and rear door 6.5's. (I use Kenewood component speakers with crossovers)
Good luck and enjoy!

Answered my question perfectly. Thanks fellas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom