2nd new heater control valve (OEM) leaking, question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '96, and my heater control valve (which was only 6 months old) started leaking, so we replaced it under warranty from Toyota with another brand new unit. Now, 2 weeks later, this one is leaking.

The shop and I have traced it to the control valve due to the location of the residual coolant on the hoses beneath.

Now, the question I have is this. It's been below freezing at night here, and when the first valve started leaking, it was low teens over the night, and hit 65 during the day. The same thing happened last night, and I noticed drops of coolant under the truck this afternoon. Truck was parked for multiple days prior on both occasions.

It doesn't matter if the valve is open, or closed. It's not a significant amount of fluid, but I'm confused how a second brand new unit would fail in the same manner. Is it a pressure thing moving from the low temps at night, to warm temps during the day? Is it the radiator cap not releasing pressure during this change? The rest of the cooling system works great, make up take does its job and my temps are rock solid.

Hose clamp type?

Worm type clamps, but there is no leakage from the hoses or the clamps. We observed (I have video) of the screw at the bottom of the valve leaking from my first one. I haven't watched the latest one long enough to see, but the residue on the hoses below the valve indicate a failure in the same place.

Doesn't freeze, I think it's just Prestone green (premixed) in there now, from the last time I did a coolant flush a few years back. Anything you want me to test specifically?
Doesn't have to freeze solid it still expands. I would use a bulb tester and just see what it reads if the problem happens after temps in the teens.

Worm type clamps, but there is no leakage from the hoses or the clamps. We observed (I have video) of the screw at the bottom of the valve leaking from my first one. I haven't watched the latest one long enough to see, but the residue on the hoses below the valve indicate a failure in the same place.
Not saying it's the clamps, but the liquid could be leaking and then running along the valve to the lowest point, which is the screw on the bottom? Just a thought.

False alarm, wasn’t the new heater control valve this time. When my shop replaced it, looks like the PHH started leaking on the block side. So that’s a much more annoying fix, but at least I know where it’s coming from and don’t have to warranty another control valve.

le sigh :-(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom