2nd gen 4 runner..should I buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
Yea, yea..another one of these threads.

My wifes honda is about to die on us. She's in grad school so we can't afford a whole lot, probably like 5k.

Her car is always the grocery getter, trip taking vehicle. My wagon is not a very wife friendly grocery getter to say the least.

I've been looking at 2nd Gen 4 runners. I like the body and size, I like the toyota quality. I just want to make sure that it will fit the bill.

I worry about the 3.0 v6. Seems to be lots of conflicting reports all over the internet. Some people have no problem with them, others despise them.

I'm thinking I would like to find one with a 5 speed vs the auto. Yes, ultimately milage is a concern.

If I can't find a decent 4 runner, or decide against it we will probably start the hunt for a honda/toyota econo box.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have a '90 w/ 214k miles that I bought in '92 w/ 29k miles on it at the time. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the vehicle. It has suited my needs well & been very reliable. It was my DD until January when I bought my LC. I still drive it 2-3 times a week. I had the head gasket replaced at around 82k & no HG problems since. The A/C still blows too cold, no holes in my seats (standard interior), it is in very good shape.
I consider myself a fan of the model. I just needed a larger, newer truck.

-Mark

majanrk said:
What is typical for gas milage?

With the 3.slow/auto it sucks I got about 12 mpg in mine, get about 14 mpg in the LX! If your looking at 5 speeds the 22RE powered ones are a good option, they get better mileage, have almost as much power and a bullet proof motor.

Tools R Us said:
With the 3.slow/auto it sucks I got about 12 mpg in mine, get about 14 mpg in the LX! If your looking at 5 speeds the 22RE powered ones are a good option, they get better mileage, have almost as much power and a bullet proof motor.

I really wish I could find one with a 22RE. I haven't come across one yet.

majanrk said:
I really wish I could find one with a 22RE. I haven't come across one yet.

Seriously, skip it man. I know you like 'em, but you'll just end up modifying it and dropping $$ into $2.55/gallon fuel. Spend the $$ on the cruiser and buy your wife a Rav4. My sister loves hers(gen1), as does my mom (gen2).

;p ;p ;p ;p ;p ;p

Originally posted by Mark Sr.
I have a '90 w/ 214k miles that I bought in '92 w/ 29k miles on it at the time. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the vehicle. It has suited my needs well & been very reliable. It was my DD until January when I bought my LC. I still drive it 2-3 times a week. I had the head gasket replaced at around 82k & no HG problems since. The A/C still blows too cold, no holes in my seats (standard interior), it is in very good shape.

Ditto! but mine is a 94 model and still loving it. If you are on a budget and 5K is what you can afford, look for a 91 or 92 cruisers.

IMHO, 80's and runners are very different. Drive both. I like driving my runner more than the 80. But if mileage is a concern, I would skip the 4runner. I really like mine, but it gets VERY poor mileage. Short block was replaced at 91K, 135K now, no issues. And it has decent power.

My wife has a 4 cylinder Camry XLE we bought new in '94, it just turned 100K miles. I can't say enough about what a great grocery getting implement that thing is! It's not stylish or flashy, but has a big trunk, is comfortable for 4, will cruise down the highway all day long at 90 MPH with the A/C blowing ice cold getting 26+ MPG! It's very easy to work on, but rarely needs it. For $5K you could get a pretty nice one.

Get her a diesel cruiser, spend the money undercoat it change your fluids and have a good reliable truck for everything and anything. No to mention gas prices are nuts right now, my 3B gets pretty darn good miledge and man there is just something about it, I feel as if I'm in a tank.

I know I have a crazy biased opinion but you just can't get a better truck

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am past the fantasy stage and decided I need to buy another "car".

My wagon on a good day gets 12mpg so I need something to offset that.

Down the road I'll get her a newer one with the 3.4.

12 mpg?! There's something wrong there unless that's all city driving. Most people get about 17mpg freeway with a 3.0. That's what I get.

Ah, I don't think the 3.0 is that bad. My HG went twice though, once toyota fixed it free and the second time they didn't. Supposedly toyota figured out the problem so the second time is supposed to be the charm. I've got almost 200k on it and the rear main seal finally gave up.

Sure, it's gutless, but it gets me there.

Eric Winkworth said:
...Not to mention gas prices are nuts right now, my 3B gets pretty darn good miledge and man there is just something about it, I feel as if I'm in a tank.

2nd gen 4runners are slightly tank like themselves! Not so much as a 70 though.

"12 mpg?! There's something wrong there unless that's all city driving. Most people get about 17mpg freeway with a 3.0. That's what I get. "

He was referring to his FJ60. 17-18MPG is indeed the best you'll get out of the 3.0. Although it's a nice truck, I'd suggest a car becaise it would get better gas mileage, not to mention cost less to buy and maintain!

89GASHOG said:
He was referring to his FJ60. 17-18MPG is indeed the best you'll get out of the 3.0. Although it's a nice truck, I'd suggest a car becaise it would get better gas mileage, not to mention cost less to buy and maintain!

No, I was referring to tools r us

Tools R Us said:
With the 3.slow/auto it sucks I got about 12 mpg in mine, get about 14 mpg in the LX!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom