2nd Battery Ground to Block, where? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I've read Christo's, George's, and other write-ups as well as searched and read the threads hear.

I am ready to take the ground cable from my second battery to the block, but can't find a good spot. Most points on the USDS of the engine seem to close to the exahust. Is there a point down low I am missing.

This seems like something easy to figure out. I guess I am just having a mental block.

Please help with suggesting a good spot on the block, thank you.

DRTDuck said:
...Most points on the USDS of the engine seem to close to the exahust...
You mean USPS, right? Passenger side?

I used the block ground point that is used for the ground from the firewall to the block just above the rear section of the exhaust manifold. It currently has a fiber heat shielded wire (maybe 12 ga) from the firewall to the block. I routed the ground wire from the aux battery along the top of the fender skirt, around the wiper fluid tank over to the block and used a slightly longer bolt to secure it. Its location is pictured here from George's site. This uses a bit more of the heavy gauge wire but was worth it to me to have it well away from the exhaust (in my case turbo). Hope this helps.

it's the rear one holding the bracket...

NorCalDoug said:
You mean USPS, right? Passenger side?

Yes, my typo, USPS.

Doug;
Not knowing how ur system looks; I'd just tie it into the negative side for the main battery, which is tied to the block on the left side. U can PM me for any other great ideas that I can come up with if U like. I've been rewiring my 80 & 40 for years now.
See:
http://homepage.mac.com/dfmorse/BattProj2/index.html

dfm

Here is where I put it, it is far enough from the exhaust.

pic looking down through exhaust, few inches behind AC compressor and water pump

agh1.jpg

the hole is threaded 10mm by 1.25 and the threads are shallow14mm the hole is slightly deeper, a bottoming tap could have gotten more depth, with the thickness of the lug and washer a 20mm long bolt was perfect. Cleaned the threads with a thread chaser and then the surface with 400 grit sand paper until all traces of rust were gone.

This is one of the places 90* or 45* lugs would have been nice, the only way out with a flat lug is back, I need to go foreword, so wound up with a 180* loop between the block and frame, at least this give room for engine movement.

Found an empty threaded hole there (for older style bump stops?) needed to secure the cable to keep it out of the axle so made a ground there and then kept on going to the negative post of the aux battery.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=35679

If you want I can update the pics in that thread when I get back in a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom